Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 11:34 PM

27 posts, read 33,261 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Fairbanks AK and I am looking to go home to NE OH by August. I know the trip is expensive as I've made it before. But the problem I am having is the current financial status of mine. I have a lot of bills and being off work for the journey, not to mention the value of my paychecks decreasing when I move has me paranoid. Anyone have some wisdom on adjusting for income shifts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 12:39 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Are you moving to Ohio or just visiting? I can't quite tell from your post. I always heard that AK is expensive... if that's the case wouldn't OH be cheaper?

Money is pretty simple: you can afford something or you can't. If you have bills to pay and you don't have much cash that of course means that your options are limited. You should be able to figure out how much it cost to visit or move and if you have enough funds to afford it.

You haven't said anything about what your bills are, what your lifestyle is like.. where the money goes each month. Nobody is going to be able to give you much advice without knowing the very concrete amounts you spend on every aspect of your expenses: food, health care, utilities, housing, insurances, etc.. all that stuff coupled with your total income. Then it becomes that simple math thing I mentioned earlier.

Getting or keeping money is always one of two things: reducing expenses and increasing income. Maybe you will need to do one or the other. Most often you end up doing both.

Maybe explain the kind of situation you're going to as well and what you might have in the way of support when you get there. Sometimes I hear stories of individuals that want to move to my expensive city without a job, education, much cash or knowing anybody.. and they wish to move out here on their own and secure a cheap apartment without a job or security deposit (which means ponying up about $4,500-6000.. just to sign a lease) and I'm sure it's disappointing for them to realize that doing that is very, very difficult. Knowing someone or having family nearby... some place to crash while looking for a job can allow for more opportunity... would you have any help in OH?

Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Honestly, we'd need a lot more detail from you. Why are your expenses so high? Does a high mortgage or car payment (or both) or some other debt (student loan) crowd out other spending for basic necessities? Or are you just spending too much eating out, going on vacation, or blowing money on other discretionary purchases that are not true needs? We really don't know. It could be a combination of all of the above.

For those who are serious, though, one exercise that always seems to wake people up is for them to write down (or record in some form) every penny they spend for at least a month. For most people this is eye opening. Most people do not have an accurate take on where their money is actually going, but they think they do. On average, people don't know where 20% of their income is going.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:03 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Yeah, if you want real advice, you need to give a slightly better idea of what your income, debt and bills are like.

I'm also planning a move out of Alaska in 3 weeks (!) and i've budgeted and saved around $10k total for the move. Hoping to use less than $6k total though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance