Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I live with 2 roommates. I make more money than they do (probably close to as much as they both make combined). They both have student loans, and I don't. One roommate routinely struggles to pay the bills. Should I pay more because I make more and it's not fair for them because they don't have spending money or an emergency fund? If one of my roommates chose to have a child, should I increase my portion of rent and utilities to make it easier on them?

No.

Now, you're not in a roommate situation: you live with your boyfriend. That changes the rules slightly, but only with previous discussion. Why didn't you talk to your partner about the finances before he moved in?

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Yes I know both are fruit, but they look at taste very differently... The point is A and B are in a romantic relationship; they are not JUST roommates. If the latter was the case then by all means what you stated above applies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Actual marriage will solve it all.

Don't know about that. That is kind of like saying a couple who is having marital problems should have a child and everything will be smooth after that.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Yes I know both are fruit, but they look at taste very differently... The point is A and B are in a romantic relationship; they are not JUST roommates. If the latter was the case then by all means what you stated above applies.
She referred to him as her roommate in the post I quoted - it's unclear to me if he was brought in as a roommate who became a romantic partner or if he was a boyfriend who took the place of a boarder she would need to bring in otherwise. I was responding in kind.

Either way, she needed to set expectations about rent, utilities, and food costs with anyone who moved in, be it her boyfriend or a roommate. It seems that the expectation was $500 a month and a vague "chipping in" for food expenses. Those expectations can change over time, but that needs to be communicated with specific figures to Person A.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM

28 posts, read 18,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't know how you got that when that's certainly not how the expense flow is being split
I agree. I want to be in A's place. A hands down has the best deal.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonswastaken View Post
I agree. I want to be in A's place. A hands down has the best deal.

You are romantically involved and let him move in and this is how you feel?

Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is absurd.

I can see now, any man coming here and reading this is probably going, "Yep, I knew it. These single moms only want us for our money and to pay for their kids."

I give up.
If b is paying more than a how could you say b is the mooch? That is absurd

Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I think you should have a baby. I hear that fixes everything

Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but THIS is the argument to be made, not how unfair it is that the OP has more expenses than her boyfriend.

What's fair market rate for rent for a bedroom in a house in the OP's area? That could very well be $500 - especially considering he's sharing. He should absolutely be paying that every month with no complaint. If $500 was not enough for the OP's budget to make it work, she needs to have a discussion about raising the rent. When he moved in, they should have set groundrules about a budget and run the numbers. It doesn't seem like that happened.

It sounds like the OP would be in further trouble if she didn't get money from her boyfriend.

This guy definitely sounds like a jerk, no doubt about it, but supporting her teenage kids isn't his responsibility. It's nice if he were to do it, but not a requirement. Where is their father? Where is their child support/SS benefits?
Fair market would probably be at least $800 a month. To rent an apartment that is decent, is $1500-$1600 a month. To rent the current house would be $2200 -$2500 a month. A previously lived in a really run down 1 bedroom apartment, which was an old school turned into little apartments. It had not been renovated in 30 years. But it was cheap and only cost $500 a month.

A decided he would pay B the same as what he previously paid, but would buy groceries. B was fine with that as it helped. But then when B suddenly was not getting rent and found no groceries in the house, B is struggling. B certainly cannot afford to pay for A & B to go out. Which is A's newest resentment. B has nothing more in the budget that can be stretched to accommodate A's resentment.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Actual marriage will solve it all.
How so? A does not seem to want to merge funds. So it seems like it would be the same situation after marriage.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If b is paying more than a how could you say b is the mooch? That is absurd
Because you have two children to support and own the house. Your expensive car payment and insurance are for YOUR vehicle that you use to transport YOUR children. A is not responsible for any of those expenses. You would have them whether or not A was in the home.

What would you do if A wasn't paying rent?

The fact that he's not paying for the previously agreed upon rental amounts is a serious problem, but what he's paying is on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance