Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

I have always banked with Chase, but despite my large deposit, they have provided nothing but a smile. I am tired of earning their glorious 0.01% interest.

I am considering to move my money to Capital One, but I have never dealt with this bank. Since it's almost an entire online bank, funds aren't available immediately. I also read some users had their accounts closed "without reason".

Does anybody have any experience with Capital One?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 02:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
They aren't an online bank only, where I live every other bank seems to be a brick and mortar Capitol One. Just letting you know because you may want to look into it. Good luck with the new bank accounts.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:29 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I have always banked with Chase, but despite my large deposit, they have provided nothing but a smile. I am tired of earning their glorious 0.01% interest.

I am considering to move my money to Capital One, but I have never dealt with this bank. Since it's almost an entire online bank, funds aren't available immediately. I also read some users had their accounts closed "without reason".

Does anybody have any experience with Capital One?
The online product is Capital One 360. It used to be ING Direct, before ING decided to get out of that business.

They have interest checking, savings, IRAs and a link to Capital One Investing, which used to be Sharebuilder.

I find the site easy to use. Getting cash is easy as you can get fee-free withdrawals at any Allpoint ATM. Here, that means Safeway, Costco, 7-11 and other places.

The current APY on interest checking is .90%.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The online product is Capital One 360. It used to be ING Direct, before ING decided to get out of that business.

They have interest checking, savings, IRAs and a link to Capital One Investing, which used to be Sharebuilder.

I find the site easy to use. Getting cash is easy as you can get fee-free withdrawals at any Allpoint ATM. Here, that means Safeway, Costco, 7-11 and other places.

Thank you for your response. If you don't mind, may I ask how long have you been with them?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 04-27-2017 at 03:20 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Ally Bank (GMAC Bank before GM was bailed out 8 years ago) just raised their interest rate on their online savings account to a mighty 1.05%. They also now have next day bank transfers so you can push that savings earning that wimpy 1.05% to your brick and mortar checking account and the money will be there the next day. Other than chasing introductory rates, that's about as good as you're going to do on an internet bank.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Bank Purely currently offers 1.30% on savings account
https://www.bankpurely.com/Rates

Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I LOVED ING Direct. I don't remember what changes, if any, there were after Capital One bought it. At that time, ING Direct was offering the highest rate and everything was very user-friendly, even w/o branches. It was linked to my regular checking and savings, but the point was to keep it out of sight and mind to sit and grow.

I'd piddle with it getting CDs and such and the link to my account was for depositing into, but I could aslo get to it if I needed to.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
I also started with ING, which turned into Capital 360. Never had a problem with it.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I also started with ING when they had really good interest rates. Then yeah.... what happened? I lost my account and could not retrieve it online. Good that I took almost all my money out the account, before that change.
Now rates just suck...

Old 04-27-2017, 11:16 PM

188 posts, read 548,633 times
I really like them. I have the 360 checking, two savings accounts, their investment account, an IRA, and their credit card. The credit card auto-pays from the checking. I get direct deposites to the checking, all accounts are linked and I can transfer to and from with ease, either on demand or recurring.

Deposites of paper checks I do by simply taking a picture of the check and their software takes care of the rest. I also have had no issues linking to and transferring to or from external accounts from another bank I have. I can get cash fee free from a few machines in town, or just hit up my other brick and mortar bank, then transfer the amount later (or prior to).

Here is what I really like...

I can log on and see all of these accounts and their balances on a single page. I can instantly look at the balance in my checking account as well as my credit card balance and see how my stocks and IRA are doing, as well as how much is in my savings accounts in a single glance. They also have an app and I can see all of these accounts wherever I am at by simply scanning my fingerprint across my iPhone. I also set up alerts and get a message on my phone as well as an email whenever a purchase is made with the credit card. Other alerts are an option such as when the credit card auto pay is about to go through etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance