Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 11:16 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,623,239 times

Advertisements

And many of today's homeless are the young men/women who came home from the middle east and fought the old men's wars for the old men's $$$$. A lot of these men/women went to war for a paycheck and now back can't find one or are so sick messed up from the wars they are unable to function in society. Ever think of all this mess. There is a whole big picture that many don't look at, just they are lazy or or ...not every one is living high off the hog in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 11:33 AM

7,623 posts, read 4,536,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Average monthly over the last 65 months:

Eating out - $602
- Your going to die from all that salt. I hope you have health insurance somewhere. I can't believe you have no medical expense.
Groceries - $156
- Obviously you don't have kids yet.
Vacations - $658
- Ok, you take nice trips
Rent - $1176
- You couldn't get a studio for that here. Expect that cost to keep rising regardless of your income.
Motorcycles - $354
- Apparently those have no insurance costs or parking costs?
Fuel - $130
- That seems average
Entertainment - $56
- Do you go Dutch on first dates?
Autos (including fuel, service etc.) - $347
- Does that include insurance, repairs, tolls and the payment, or are you driving a 1997 Toyota?

Total average monthly expenditure - $3,918
Total average monthly net income - $6,672
- Your argument is invalid as most people don't net to that. The average per capita is around $50K, which will net to about $38. That's a little over $3K a month. Uh oh....average expenditure is > average income.

Average savings rate: 41%
Besides:

Life Insurance?
Taxes? (Its your biggest expense)
Charitable Giving? (Cheap miser)
Interest Expense - No student loans? Most people start out in the hole after college. I was 30 until I was finally worth nothing and I'm pretty sure I made more than most of my colleagues.
Medical Bills? (If you've had none in 65 months...you're amazingly lucky)

Don't get me wrong, avoiding bad choices and making an effort to care for yourself is important and a lot of people fail to do this. You've obviously found a decent paying occupation in a low cost of living area, but you failed to learn how to be richer than those around you. Learn it, or those medical bills will go through the roof on you.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,619,984 times
I got the impression from the OP that this thread is about not planning for the future regarding those who do have the means to do so. Why do this threads always fall into this?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,899,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Um, right. So what do non homeless people do when they are priced out of the housing market where they live? They move to where housing is more affordable. They don't just live on the street as a permanent condition. Homelessness is merely a symptom of a whole lot of other personal problems people have.
Major metros like LA have been playgrounds for the wealthy for awhile now. If you can't afford it, America is a big country with plenty of affordable areas. Of course the affordable areas are not exciting or trendy but all that comes with a high price.

If you aren't in a profession that basically demands you to live in an extremely high cost of living city I would remain elsewhere. If all someone is capable of earning $9 an hour you can find such low paying jobs just about anywhere.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,815,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Major metros like LA have been playgrounds for the wealthy for awhile now. If you can't afford it, America is a big country with plenty of affordable areas. Of course the affordable areas are not exciting or trendy but all that comes with a high price.

If you aren't in a profession that basically demands you to live in an extremely high cost of living city I would remain elsewhere. If all someone is capable of earning $9 an hour you can find such low paying jobs just about anywhere.
Right. It's the same deal in the SF Bay Area.

A lot of people talk about homelessness as an affordable housing problem. To a small degree, that's true. I am certainly a big advocate of building more housing--period. Anything we can do to increase the supply will help keep a lid on costs. But we're kidding ourselves if we think affordable housing, all by itself, is going to fix the underlying issues (lack of job skills, criminal backgrounds, mental illness, drug addiction) of most homeless people. At the margins, it would help the more functional set of homeless people, but in no way would it do anything for the chronically homeless.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:56 AM

903 posts, read 857,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
People should be working to capacity at fulfilling jobs. Compared with fulfilling jobs, minimum wage jobs qualitatively suck.

THAT is why people prefer to sit and collect unemployment checks than take a crappy job.

I figure I've put in more than my fair share of sucky job time.
Do you know why the words "fun" and "work" aren't spelled the same...?

Looks like we simply need to create the right motivation to get people off of unemployment/welfare. We can call it the Work Or Starve Program (WOSP).

Old 06-02-2017, 02:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Do you know why the words "fun" and "work" aren't spelled the same...?

Looks like we simply need to create the right motivation to get people off of unemployment/welfare. We can call it the Work Or Starve Program (WOSP).

I've worked two jobs so that my landlord could work zero jobs. Work or Starve?

Old 06-02-2017, 02:15 AM

106,069 posts, read 108,035,793 times
so who is the smarter one ? you or him ?

we are still landlords and we work no jobs being retired . it is our money working for us and his money working for him , so you have a place to live as a by product.

some of us work for our money while others have their money work for them . .

you failed financially so you can't have your money work for you so you have to depend on the money of others to provide the things you need .
don't blame the landlord , blame yourself ! he did not make a lifetime of poor choices and decisions for you that left you this way and dependent on his money .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-02-2017 at 03:26 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 04:05 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,094,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

we are still landlords and we work no jobs being retired . it is our money working for us and his money working for him , so you have a place to live as a by product.

you failed financially so you can't have your money work for you so you have to depend on the money of others to provide the things you need .
don't blame the landlord , blame yourself ! he did not make a lifetime of poor choices and decisions for you that left you this way and dependent on his money .

I swore to myself a couple of years ago to never respond to anymore of his whining posts but for others who may not know his history...for years, this poster has come up with one excuse or another not to be able to do ONE thing people have suggested.
Has he faced some difficulties? Sure, but not one single one that others have not overcome.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Owning assets absolves a person from any necessity to be or act smart, and enables landlords to build wealth on the backs of others unable to retain their own wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance