Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,401,163 times

Advertisements

My bank accounts are joint accounts. When one of us dies, the other knows to add PODs to the accounts.

Our investment accounts are joint accounts when possible and when not, we have beneficiaries named.

One thing that people often overlook is the necessity in some states (including "common law" states) to include BOTH spouses on the titles of vehicles, homes, etc. Especially vehicles. We found this out the hard way when my dad passed away and his truck was only in his name. It had to go through probate of all things. My son in law wanted to buy it but couldn't process the paperwork till the estate was probated. Pain in the arse. It had to be turned over to my mom first and THEN she could sell it to him. All requiring time, money, and unnecessary hassle. So now my husband and I make sure that every asset we can possibly put in both names is actually in both names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 04:45 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,029,601 times
I don't. But the more I think about it (and the older I get) I suppose I should have POD names added. This thread is a reminder to look into that.

I've got a will, a POA and executor named but until the estate is handled she'd (a friend) have to use her own money to get the ball rolling on paying for a funeral, attorney fees, etc. And Lord knows my siblings don't have any money to pay for anything upfront until they get their inheritance. I might also pre-pay for funeral services haven't decided what I want though.

I know it was a Godsend to have the joint account with my mom when she died. I was able to just write checks, get the ball rolling on everything, no wondering how we were going to pay, etc. It was smooth as silk. Since I don't want a joint account with anyone, the POD is the next best thing I guess.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:26 AM

105,987 posts, read 107,954,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My bank accounts are joint accounts. When one of us dies, the other knows to add PODs to the accounts.

Our investment accounts are joint accounts when possible and when not, we have beneficiaries named.

One thing that people often overlook is the necessity in some states (including "common law" states) to include BOTH spouses on the titles of vehicles, homes, etc. Especially vehicles. We found this out the hard way when my dad passed away and his truck was only in his name. It had to go through probate of all things. My son in law wanted to buy it but couldn't process the paperwork till the estate was probated. Pain in the arse. It had to be turned over to my mom first and THEN she could sell it to him. All requiring time, money, and unnecessary hassle. So now my husband and I make sure that every asset we can possibly put in both names is actually in both names.
friends of the family went out to dinner last week in new city ny and a guy on drugs crashed in to them and killed them .

they simply went to dinner and who knew an hour later they would be gone .

just a reminder that common disasters happen and don't leave anything that needs to be done to the surviving spouse .

https://patch.com/new-york/newcity/v...ash-identified

Old 06-14-2017, 08:50 AM

13,582 posts, read 9,612,002 times
“POD” is the unheralded shortcut for estate-planning. [standard disclaimer applies – I’m obviously not a lawyer!] It deftly obviates having to establish a trust, provided of course that one has confidence in one’s beneficiary. The beneficiary receives the funds upon presenting the financial institution with a death-certificate. It’s a clean, no-cost transfer of funds.

And Mathjak - condolences regarding your friends.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:59 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,130,788 times
My wife and I have PODs on all individual accounts and we recently set up a living revocable trust which is listed as the contingent beneficiary on all of our investment, bank, IRA, 401k accounts etc.

We have a 3 year old so it was also critical that we setup the trust to designate it as a contingent beneficiary on our life insurance policies. As you may or may not know, if my wife and I both pass and my son (contingent beneficiary prior to the trust being created) survives, he would not be able to touch that money until he reaches the age of majority (18 or 21 depending on the state). My brother is the guardian and he wouldn't be able to access the funds either until our son turns 18. Having the trust as the contingent allows us to name trustees who will be able to control/invest the funds until such time we deem our son responsible enough to handle the money (we have age/% tiers for when/how much our son can access funds).

Mathjak: condolences to you and your family.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:16 PM

105,987 posts, read 107,954,552 times
thanks .

this was a rough one . they were just celebrating 40 years together

Old 06-15-2017, 05:10 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,451,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't. But the more I think about it (and the older I get) I suppose I should have POD names added. This thread is a reminder to look into that.

I've got a will, a POA and executor named but until the estate is handled she'd (a friend) have to use her own money to get the ball rolling on paying for a funeral, attorney fees, etc. And Lord knows my siblings don't have any money to pay for anything upfront until they get their inheritance. I might also pre-pay for funeral services haven't decided what I want though.

I know it was a Godsend to have the joint account with my mom when she died. I was able to just write checks, get the ball rolling on everything, no wondering how we were going to pay, etc. It was smooth as silk. Since I don't want a joint account with anyone, the POD is the next best thing I guess.
This is mainly why I posted. For others like myself who didn't think about it until now. There is no such thing as too young for some of these matters. My father doesn't want to hear any of this but I am like well, what if I get hit by a bus tomorrow? I don't want you dealing with a mess.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:17 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,451,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Affidavit of heriship would have worked for that. I paid $12 I think for that. No more than $22. 'gift tax'.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
friends of the family went out to dinner last week in new city ny and a guy on drugs crashed in to them and killed them .

they simply went to dinner and who knew an hour later they would be gone .

just a reminder that common disasters happen and don't leave anything that needs to be done to the surviving spouse .

https://patch.com/new-york/newcity/v...ash-identified
My point is that you can't really add a POD to an account if it's a joint account.

That's why you have a will and you have beneficiaries named on investment accounts. Back ups too. It's not that complicated.

But what unfortunately happened to your friends of the family is thankfully rare. Usually there IS a surviving spouse.

I'm very sorry that your friends of the family were in that accident by the way. Terrible tragedy.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Affidavit of heriship would have worked for that. I paid $12 I think for that. No more than $22. 'gift tax'.
Not sure about where you live in but in Texas that only works IF the estate doesn't have to go through probate or something or other - I checked into it and it wouldn't work in our circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance