Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:27 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Check your paystubs or Kronos, or whatever you guys are using. You probably already lost some of the PTO. Normally they should tell you, but many places dont. It's your loss, not theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 05:36 PM

270 posts, read 203,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Part of the answer is what does your employer normally due. I would think they want notice that you are leaving and they have the policy so you don't say I quite tomorrow and want my PTO.

If you have a good employer can you talk to your boss and work out a plan that meets both of your needs?

My assumption is you do not feel you can. But at some time in the future you may need a reference from this employer to get your next job. So be careful not to burn any bridges. Give the employer time to fill your position.
I think I can speak with them. I was actually had a rather unsubtle plan to ask them, and decide what to do based on their answer. In fact The more I think about it I'm hoping the policy changed. I just have the old handbook from when I was hired. I think earlier this year they loosened up on how much PTO could roll over. So it's possible they decided to pay out the employees that decides to leave. The handbook I have is a few years old. I'm hoping when I ask they just say yea we'll pay you out. but I'm not going to bring up the subject until I have a offer.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:36 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,780,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlong2315 View Post
I understand how it sounds, but what do employers expect when they come up with policies like this. I'm already losing 60% of my 401k match because the vesting plan is 5 centuries long. smh
A lot of companies have straight use it or lose it policies for vacation, sounds like yours at least allowed the rollover of some of it so there was a benefit there.

Not paying out at termination isn't unusual.

5 year vesting for 401(k) contributions is also pretty common. These are elements of compensation that are supposed to have retention value.

What are your prospective employer's policies on these items?

Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
A lot of companies have straight use it or lose it policies for vacation, sounds like yours at least allowed the rollover of some of it so there was a benefit there.

Not paying out at termination isn't unusual.

5 year vesting for 401(k) contributions is also pretty common. These are elements of compensation that are supposed to have retention value.

What are your prospective employer's policies on these items?
I get your point, but you want to be competitive with compensation. The prospective employer offers double my current 401k match percent with immediate vesting of employer matched contributions....not to mention my income is going to increase a pretty good amount.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I get your point, but you want to be competitive with compensation. The prospective employer offers double my current 401k match percent with immediate vesting of employer matched contributions....not to mention my income is going to increase a pretty good amount.
That's great and good luck getting the offer. Your current employer either isn't concerned with turnover or will be updating their policies, hopefully before its too late.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:52 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I would not let anyone know that you are looking for another job, until you actually find one AND get hired. Many places let go people who plan to quit, right on the spot. You would lose your job before finding something else, and all your PTO. Not a smart move.
Just make some quiet inquiry, ask friends/co-workers if there were any changes in company policies.
Or go to HR and ask if you could cash any of your PTO, because of unexpected financial emergency.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would not let anyone know that you are looking for another job, until you actually find one AND get hired. Many places let go people who plan to quit, right on the spot. You would lose your job before finding something else, and all your PTO. Not a smart move.
Just make some quiet inquiry, ask friends/co-workers if there were any changes in company policies.
Or go to HR and ask if you could cash any of your PTO, because of unexpected financial emergency.
I understand what you're saying, that's why I'm not planning to speak about the PTO until I get a job offer. I'm pretty far in the interview process. I'm just trying to understand what my options are in advance.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:45 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
I understand how it sounds, but what do employers expect when they come up with policies like this. I'm already losing 60% of my 401k match because the vesting plan is 5 centuries long. smh
Your vesting is 50 years long? Sounds a bit off

Old 06-11-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your vesting is 50 years long? Sounds a bit off
I was exaggerating, it's 5 years.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:26 PM

Isn't 5 centuries 500 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance