Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Actually, that is not true. There are plenty of places that are VERY safe that are also affordable. Most smaller communities around the country are very safe and provide a very low cost of living. Minimum wage in our state is higher than the Federal Minimum wage, but someone making minimum wage can afford to BUY a house in many communities around us. Unemployment rate here is something like 1% and employers are crying for unskilled labor, full-time with benefits. Many offer sign-on bonuses that could cover relocation even. In some of the smaller towns around us you can buy a 1200 sq ft house, 2 or 3 bedrooms for $50,000 or even less. They aren't fancy, but they are fine and very safe. I just did a search, and there are several houses for sale in that range. If you buy with an FHA loan, your house payment with taxes and insurance are less than $200/month, which, is very affordable on our minimum wage and with 2 people earning that minimum, EASILY afforded.

Sure, in the major metro areas you probably can't survive off one person making minimum wage, but think outside the box a bit and look elsewhere.
HOLY HECK!! I don't mean to divert the thread - apologize - I just viewed your album "BASEMENT" - if you did that refinish job yourself, you are to be congratulated! It is beeeyouteefull! OK, going to go back to thread now. I do believe in giving frank admiration when it is richly deserved. Best, Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:29 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Sure, in the major metro areas... but think outside the box a bit and look elsewhere.
That would require taking some personal responsibility and making informed choices.
Two characteristics in short supply within the targeted audience.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:28 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not really. I work with a couple dozen other people. We have superstars, we have slackers, and we have a wide range of intermediate performers. Yet we all are paid within a few cents of minimum wage. Can we ALL be minimum capability people? Even the superstars?
Being a superstar at a minimal task makes them minimally capable. If they truly ARE superstars, they will move on to a better job that pays more than the minimum.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:16 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Being a superstar at a minimal task makes them minimally capable.
Still laughing at that comment. How would anyone define a superstar? Can make burgers, fries, and apple pies, too? Slurpees and Big Bite Hot Dogs?

A friend decades back would crow at being chief fry maker or the like at a McD's for an extra .25 an hour. He grew out of that, though, after graduating college, and getting past McJobs. That's the key. Growing past McJobs as adults.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,702 times
Yes that was the main purpose of a minimum wage but now whenever someone say minimum wage worker I have a picture of a 30 year old guy at 7/11 cleaning the slurpee machine or a middle aged, plump Hispanic woman with a headset at McD. I'm not sure why, I guess I just built two mental schemas around my observations.

Is waiting tables consider minimum wage? There are some states who pay waitresses $2+tip. That's much lower than minimum wage.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrugalGene View Post
Yes that was the main purpose of a minimum wage but now whenever someone say minimum wage worker I have a picture of a 30 year old guy at 7/11 cleaning the slurpee machine or a middle aged, plump Hispanic woman with a headset at McD. I'm not sure why, I guess I just built two mental schemas around my observations.

Is waiting tables consider minimum wage? There are some states who pay waitresses $2+tip. That's much lower than minimum wage.

come to my workplace, you'll see underemployed college graduates and older people.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:04 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrugalGene View Post
Yes that was the main purpose of a minimum wage...
What was? Unless you quote the comment you're responding to no one knows.

There are a lot of poorly informed notions and misconceptions floating around.
Beware you don't get sucked into thinking one you heard somewhere just because it suits your world view.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:30 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
I'm sorry but I have zero sympothy for people who make minimum wage and complain its not a livable wage.. yea No S#!T.. That's like saying its unfair you cant win the tour de france on your tricycle.

Go on craigslist and buy an item for $5, or go to your local auction house, or garage sale. Then sell that item on ebay for a ton more.. I've personally purchased a car stereo for $7 at an auction I sold a week later for $300 just cause I was there looking for furniture for my house. A friend of mine purchased a guitar with a case for $15 at a garage sale he sold for $200 on ebay. Another friend of mine purchased a used part for a boat on ebay for $100 in the winter, it was the wrong part so he relisted it in spring and it sold for $250.

People are too lazy to even try to better their own lives. Get up early on saturdays and sundays, even if you're single with 2 kids. Go to garage sales with $15. Turn it into $75 selling on ebay. Thats like working a full day at minimum wage. Then take $50 of your profit and do it again next week and turn it into $200. Then take your $200 and turn it into $600. There you go.. You're now making $600 a week cash which is like making $45,000 a year on the books and you're only physically working 2 days a week on the weekends and spending the rest of the time at home listing product online.. Don't have a computer? Shut up and get to the library to use it for free.

Open an LLC and start selling your product legitimately, put together a real resume and maybe you'll land a job making $55,000 a year because of your entrepreneurial experience..

but nooooo.... its much easier to just do the same mindless bs job that literally anyone including those with special needs or zero prior work experience can do. Then just yell at the government that they aren't doing enough for you and should demand that the guy that actually took the risks, and worked hard to start his own business should have to take a big chunk out of his salary just to pay your lazy a$$ cause you can't figure out a way to help yourself...

Rant over...

Old 07-08-2017, 05:50 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
FFS.. if you work minimum wage, you need to do what a good majority of minimum wage workers before you and that is get roommates, get a second job, reduce your spending, etc. The main thing, if you are unhappy with your minimum wage, then you need to do something to change that. Education, trade school, etc. To just work a job which requires no experience and demand something other than minimum wage, is not how you get further in life, it is how you stay current in your life.
Well said.

The ability to live alone is a luxury. Like any luxury, there's no reason it has to be accessible to low wage earners. Even when I earned much more than minimum wage, I still had roommates and a second job, which allowed me to get hard start on home ownership, retirement savings, etc.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:57 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
come to my workplace, you'll see underemployed college graduates and older people.
And what did these college graduates major in? That's rhetorical - I think we all know the answer.

It's been posted already, but its worth saying again. Make informed life decisions and understand the consequences. Earning a degree in a field in which there are few jobs or the pay is typically low is a conscious decision. When these people made the decision to major in these fields, information was widely available for them to assess the consequences, yet they made the decision anyway. Sorry, but that simply isn't my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance