Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
US Bank Cash Plus Visa. It's a great card. Choose your own (2) 5% categories, choose one 2%, and everything else is 1%
Quote:
No limit on total cash back earned.
Maybe that is why people go over? Cash-back hungry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 PM

360 posts, read 372,288 times
I don't go over the credit limit.
From my experience if you pay in full the balance every month and you spend around 80% of your budget, the cc company might raise your limit.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:19 PM

I was just curious to see if anyone here does that. The rep on the phone said it's done all the time. Some people do it every single month and she has told them this doesn't look good on your credit report. If you go to get a mortgage or other type of loan .....

Old 06-24-2017, 01:27 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
I haven't gone over my credit limit, but I've made advanced payments several multiples over my credit limit, so that I could use the card for a really large transaction and get points.

It's typically with new cards, while waiting for them to approve a credit limit increase.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Sounds predatory. This card is a good one and they are not out to screw people over. They allow going over as a courtesy and there are no fees for it even.
No...people need to know the rules and policies of the credit card.
If a person goes over the limit for just a vacuum cleaner purchase -- perhaps they've been living above their means in the first place. One might argue that a person wants points for all their purchases? Well let's see...that still has nothing to do with that person not calling the recorded line -- and hearing what their available credit is for a given card.

If you go buy a vacuum cleaner, or whatever -- and you don't think you have enough credit limit left. Call and find out. It's the first thing the recorded update tells you: your last payment, your balance and your remaining credit limit.

Some people want to cry foul and call things predatory -- when THEY need to handle their business better and stay up on their finances and budgets.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No...people need to know the rules and policies of the credit card.
If a person goes over the limit for just a vacuum cleaner purchase -- perhaps they've been living above their means in the first place. One might argue that a person wants points for all their purchases? Well let's see...that still has nothing to do with that person not calling the recorded line -- and hearing what their available credit is for a given card.

If you go buy a vacuum cleaner, or whatever -- and you don't think you have enough credit limit left. Call and find out. It's the first thing the recorded update tells you: your last payment, your balance and your remaining credit limit.

Some people want to cry foul and call things predatory -- when THEY need to handle their business better and stay up on their finances and budgets.
Right. I was speaking to some specifics in another post when I used the term predatory.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
No. I think my lowest card has a $7,000 limit. I don't make anywhere near enough money to be even thinking about charging $7,000 on a card every month. And that's just one card.

Likely the people going over the limit are the type of people credit card companies absolutely love. They pay their bills on time but are carrying a say a $6,500 balance month to month on a card with a $7,000 limit. So they put $2,000 of monthly purchases on the card and hit an $8,500 balance and then pay it back down to $6,5000 every month. The credit card company doesn't want to increase their limits because their credit utilization is so high but aren't really worried about them going over the limit as they have a strong history of paying their obligations.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:45 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
No. Ive never ever even come close. I honestly have no clue what my limits are. My credit cards are paid in full every month and I have a cash emergency fund.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:54 PM

46 posts, read 96,798 times
For me at least, I'm not too sure if they do or even would. I just graduated college last year and just got my first credit card this month, so I'm not really in a position to even ask, let alone wonder. I somehow got a high credit limit ($4,000) and per month I won't even come close to the high amount. I would probably (most likely) only have $200 max that I would be charging on the card. That's if I end up having a lot to get. This month I know would me at max $60-100. Only because I don't have lots of money yet, so my monthly credit card bills would barely have anything on it yet. I am guessing for a while too, so lets see how it goes.

Plus I guess someone can say I'm new to credit cards and that's something I wouldn't even know if it's possible to do yet, which is true too (I think).

Also, I guess credit card companies love the people who can't pay back their purchases because they charge more than they can afford, etc. They make a ton of money on the interest they charge, which is high. I know for my credit card its somewhere between 20-22%. I guess its similar no matter what card you get.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:28 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
No, I pay all my cards in full every month and they all have 5 figure credit limits anyway. I can't imagine a scenario where I could possibly go over the limit unless I suddenly got the idea to take a whitewater rafting trip to Brazil - but then I'd just pay cash for any difference between the total and the credit limit if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance