Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 02:02 PM

26 posts, read 21,559 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have a personal loan with Avant and apparently last month I missed a payment and although I never recieved a statement, email, or phone contact with them I didnt know. This would be my first 30 day late on a clean credit file. Im getting all worked up about it but should I really be worrying myself sick about 1 30 day late mark on my CR? Is it going to be really detrimental? Im not worried about the score moreso as worrying about obtaining any credit within the next 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:20 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtapoz View Post
Hello All,

I have a personal loan with Avant and apparently last month I missed a payment and although I never recieved a statement, email, or phone contact with them I didnt know. This would be my first 30 day late on a clean credit file. Im getting all worked up about it but should I really be worrying myself sick about 1 30 day late mark on my CR? Is it going to be really detrimental? Im not worried about the score moreso as worrying about obtaining any credit within the next 7 years.
I would call the lender and ask if they will report this. Sometimes it takes more than 30 days for a lender to report you as late. You can also plead with them and say you've never missed a payment, and perhaps they won't report you to a credit bureau.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I would call the lender and ask if they will report this. Sometimes it takes more than 30 days for a lender to report you as late. You can also plead with them and say you've never missed a payment, and perhaps they won't report you to a credit bureau.
I was successful with capitol one removing the information from my credit report on a late payment because of an annual fee on a card I didn't use

Old 07-07-2017, 08:55 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
OP, don't get worked up unless it is your first payment due on the first loan you ever had.

They may report it, but if you've had several on time payments, one won't matter much.

People make mistakes, mail gets lost, mail comes late.

BUT: you should now know what payment is due when, and roughly when it should arrive in the mail, so next time it gets to a week before the due date, give them a call and let them know you have not received a bill.

See also, if you can, to make payments by phone if it comes close to due date.

You can also ask for them to change your due date to an easy to remember date, like the first of the month. That way when the 25th arrives and you haven't had a bill, you know to call and make your payment. To do this you might need to make an interim half payment or make a larger payment the next payment.

Don't stress over it though.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtapoz View Post
Hello All,

I don't rely on receiving a snail mail or email statement for usual monthly bills and would never expect them to call me about one. They are recurring...I know when they are due. Its only being responsible, also a good practice that can give you the benefit of the doubt someday. If I don't find the latest bill I will call and check, and probably pay it while on the phone with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance