Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

eh, I have my own money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:22 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Two incomes very often puts you in a higher tax bracket. What's so great about that?

Old 07-15-2017, 09:21 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Two incomes very often puts you in a higher tax bracket. What's so great about that?
That's an assumption but silly never the less. You can also assume you have the option of lower expenses per person sharing a studio or efficiency, discount on car insurance, easier and often cheaper to cook for two vs one, health insurance coverage through an employer that covers a spouse at a reduced cost or not cost vs two individuals carrying their own coverage

Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That's an assumption but silly never the less. You can also assume you have the option of lower expenses per person sharing a studio or efficiency, discount on car insurance, easier and often cheaper to cook for two vs one, health insurance coverage through an employer that covers a spouse at a reduced cost or not cost vs two individuals carrying their own coverage

2 people in a studio? Yeah, how wonderful.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Money/income potential should be one of the considerations in picking a life time mate. Money is the thing married couples argue the most about.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:03 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
2 people in a studio? Yeah, how wonderful.
Do married people often sleep separately in different rooms? It's cute you overlook the obvious that was stated in the rest of the post

Old 07-16-2017, 01:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
No. The supposed breaks and deals you mention aren't worth much. Even if they were, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I guess you are only asking the women on this forum. Most men aren't capable of doing that.

That said, I think not every girl is eligible to marry for money, rich men like hot and pretty girls, at the same time they are looking for intelligence, that remove most women from the pot.

I said if you do have this chance of a very wealthy man wants to know marry you, i wouldn't put money as a top reason, it will be one of the major reasons.
why wouldn't a man be able to marry for money?

Sounds like you need to broaden your horizons.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, you're only looking at the good side. What about all the negative things that happen in life that can hurt financially? Illness, accidents, job losses, lawsuits, etc. You're legally tied to that person without the emotional tie that would make you want to help them through bad times.
Very good point. There is also the chance that the other person will lose a job, leave you, and you'll end up paying spousal support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Intelligence, hot and sexy at the same time, not that many.
And there are some who will be alone forever because they are too picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ That's what I'm talking about!

I'm thinking of a platonic friend that you get get together and think -- if we share most living expenses we can both come out ahead. A business deal like any other.
You can share living expenses without getting married.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:06 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Default Would You Marry For Money?

My answer to OP's question is NO. I can ONLY answer for myself. Back in the the early '70's I was asked by my parent's Why aren't you interested in "So-n-So"?.. He loves you dearly and is a good MAN" My answer was simple.. I also loved him dearly, BUT it would be like marrying my brother!! So life moved on and yep.. So did he, got married..as did I. BUT, OUR bond of friendship and respect never wained!! We kept in touch and communicated about our family and kids!!

I guess, in hindsight I would have had a grand life with a wonderful man.. but there's the not knowing the future when you are a young adult!! Also, have zero regrets really because we had a wonderful ( soulmate type understanding) and still respect each other to this day!!

Old 07-16-2017, 03:26 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Travel discounts are offered to pairs -- they don't have to be a couple or married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance