U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM

500 posts, read 763,307 times

Advertisements

So I am currently with State Farm. Over the last 6 months we have had to make changes to polices...first to my mother's policy when my father died and then to my own policy when I first dropped coverage to liability only and then most recently when I cancelled because I sold the car.

Essentially, from the time we make the change with the local agent until the time the "regional office" makes the change is running between 30 and 45 days. This seems absolutely ridiculous to me. And in the meantime, since the changes don't get made in a timely manner, you continue to get irrelevant change and billing notices.

Are the "regional offices" for all companies do completely inefficient?

In a specific example...

Feb. 24 - changed car policy from comprehensive to liability only and PAID the premium in full

Throughout March and April I received billing notices because the change from comp. to liability had not been processed and so I "owed" money...even though I didn't. We made multiple calls to our local agent's office during this time where they confirmed they had made the changes in their system and it was pending at the regional office. I received another bill which said we're cancelling if you don't pay. Called my agent again. Someone "escalated" it and/or got more info. Supposedly, the change made Feb. 24th was made, but the regional office put a wrong date in of March 24th. As of May, I was still receiving bills that I owed money because they had not corrected the date. It took until the end of May for my policy to be "fixed" and noted that I did not owe any money.

In June, I actually sold that car. I notified State Farm on June 26 to cancel the policy. This morning I woke up to a renewal notice bill. My "cancellation" is still pending at the regional office because everything is "first come first served" (direct quote from my agent). Seriously? 4 weeks to cancel a policy and it is still pending? And it could be another 2-3 weeks?

Are all insurance companies so pathetically inept? Is the "regional office" setup at other companies just as bad?

We will be gathering quotes from other companies next week. My local agent's office can't keep agents long enough to get to know them. We've been through at least 3 in the last year. And obviously the issues we've had with the slowness of making changes is frustrating. We'll be shopping for home + auto + umbrella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:08 PM

3,059 posts, read 2,349,999 times
Have not dealt with State Farm but never had a problem like this. Something is wrong and my guess would be that it is with your broker and not State Farm.

For future reference you might be able to by pass your broker and go directly to the insurance company. I did this with AAA when the broker was not responsive. You could ask State Farm if you can deal directly on changes and if you do how long should it take.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Well, I reached out on State Farm's facebook page and supposedly the executive cs team is going to reach out to me, so we will see.

We are definitely going to reach out to other agencies next week though. A local Farmer's Ins. office and probably go by an independent agent as well.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:16 PM

808 posts, read 784,965 times
Wow, that is all incredibly frustrating. How on earth do you buy a new car, where you need a fairly immediate change in your policy and paperwork, if this is how they function?

I use Geico, as no one can touch their rates in NYC. I don't have an agent, and just call them directly for any changes I need made. I purchased a new car yesterday, and within 3 minute of my phone call to them, a new insurance card and binder were received by the dealer.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:38 PM

So, I have had contact from the chairman's office, etc. Supposedly, my change to cancel the policy was only submitted last week! With an effective date of July 20th. Hah! Now, I will admit that I can't swear that I contacted them to make the change on 6/26 but I do know absolutely that it was that week, between 6/26 and 6/30. And I actually sold the car on 6/21.

So after the initial call this morning, the "chairman's office" team member I spoke with called my agent's office and was able to determine that they did have an email or something that stated the request was made on 6/30 to my local agent. But for some reason was never properly submitted. So essentially, even though he wouldn't say it, my agent's office didn't do their job. And basically, they didn't submit the cancellation until I called them and 8itched them out. And then tried to blame it on the regional office.

So, my policy is now properly cancelled. I will be getting a refund for the premium dating back to June 30.

Next up....get some quotes from companies other than State Farm. And if State Farm is still the best deal, at the very least, switch to a different agent. I will never step foot in my "current" agent's office ever again.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:53 PM

6,974 posts, read 1,733,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Wow, that is all incredibly frustrating. How on earth do you buy a new car, where you need a fairly immediate change in your policy and paperwork, if this is how they function?

I use Geico, as no one can touch their rates in NYC. I don't have an agent, and just call them directly for any changes I need made. I purchased a new car yesterday, and within 3 minute of my phone call to them, a new insurance card and binder were received by the dealer.

I also have Geico which is now the 2nd largest insurer (owned by Berkshire Hathaway). We also had a very large claim with them 3 years ago and it was handled quick and efficient! They only raised our renewal by $40 too, I couldn't believe it! They broker out the home though. Obviously what is good for one is not good for all, but I would definitely go to their website and do a quote. Just put the coverages that are on your current dec page.

If you like having an agent I would also suggest going to an independent broker that only deals with A+ rated carriers such as AAA, Erie, Travelers, are all very good IMHO.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 PM

438 posts, read 1,129,006 times
I have always submitted any changes directly to my local office to process.
If I mail it to the regional office in another city it takes much longer for changes to happen.
My local office told me years ago just to send to them as they could process much faster.
I would imagine your local office would say the same thing.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance