Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times

Advertisements

I opened up a online savings account with Discover a few months and never transferred more than $75 to myself since opening the account. Tonight the amount I wanted to transfer was $300 because I am going out of town on a family trip next week and my cousin needs the final deposit by by next Tuesday. So tonight I decided to do the transfer and just knew it would be in my checking account by this Friday but it's saying it won't arrive until next Tuesday??? Is that norm when transferring that amount of money? I am a little annoyed I have to wait four business days for my money to arrive in my checking account. That's why I was thinking maybe because it's a large amount of money and $75.00 like it normally is when I transfer money. Does this sound normal to anyone with a online savings account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
I've transferred hundreds up to 80k and never had it take more than two business days

Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I've transferred hundreds up to 80k and never had it take more than two business days
Ok thanks and now I think I will close my account completely because that made no sense at all for me to wait until Tuesday.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
I would call now and ask.
Assuming your 75.00 transfers went through faster this one should have. Assuming your checking account is with a bank that is part of the Federal Reserve system you should have your money on the 10th. Nothing can happen today if you placed the order after 6.

I do not think the 300 would have raised any flags since you have made transfers before.

If you have a check book for Discover write a check and deposit it into your account. But this could take several days to clear so ask your bank.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Assuming your 75.00 transfers went through faster this one should have. Assuming your checking account is with a bank that is part of the Federal Reserve system you should have your money on the 10th. Nothing can happen today if you placed the order after 6.

I do not think the 300 would have raised any flags since you have made transfers before.

If you have a check book for Discover write a check and deposit it into your account. But this could take several days to clear so ask your bank.

No i don't have a check book it's a online savings account that I didn't want easy access to so it could continue to grow. I just didn't think it would take me a week to transfer money to my checking account which is why I have to contact them tomorrow.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post

Just called them and couldn't get a clear answer just a bunch of robotic talk which means the account will be closed by this time next week.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:25 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,325 times
sometimes if the account is newer or the average balances are smaller, they'll hold the transfers longer. up to a week i think. to prevent fraud or other issues.

I have an ing savings online, and the transfer can take a few business days.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:30 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
It takes a few days, I think that is normal. Becasue it is all computer based, i see no reason why it can't be a next day deal, but it hasn't been, for any online transfers I have done, for larger sums of money. But I am not in a rush, so I jeep the accounts open for convenience.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It takes a few days, I think that is normal. Becasue it is all computer based, i see no reason why it can't be a next day deal, but it hasn't been, for any online transfers I have done, for larger sums of money. But I am not in a rush, so I jeep the accounts open for convenience.
I definitely thought it would be available by Monday especially since its being sent today. Seeing that it wont be available tuesday just seemed kind of strange.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
there is a difference between wiring money and electronic fund transfers .wired money is available immediately, eft's are not .

here are fidelity's rules on eft's.

If your request is received by 4 p.m. ET, deposits to your Fidelity account will be credited the same day. Withdrawals are completed within 1 to 2 business days, but posting and availability may take longer, depending on your bank.
Deposits are generally available for withdrawal or to purchase securities online within 4 business days.
EFTs are not processed on Saturdays, Sundays, or New York Stock Exchange and bank holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance