U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:28 PM

25,631 posts, read 21,529,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP12 View Post

if you won $5000 on a quiz show , what would you spend it on?

I'd use the money on my next 3 month RV excursion. I calculated that it cost me about that much this past summer to national parks (bought new tires for the truck, trailer while on the trip)....RV campsites, food, repairs, park fees, beer, gas, etc etc....

Would go back to Colorado and get to Oregon, Montana this time....

Even though I didn't win $5k, that's the plan for 2018 summer anyway.....lots of driving from FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM

9,689 posts, read 12,143,394 times
I'd invest it.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:47 AM

2,380 posts, read 1,231,166 times
Well, I have an announcement update!!!

If you look at the heading on the contest winners for CD's own contest, I ACTUALLY WON!!!

So what will I do with my winnings??? (Granted it's not $5k, but it IS a winning).

Directly to the Roth IRA, for my future retirement just like I suggested here in my previous post on this thread.

Thank you CD you have brightened my day!

Congrats to ALL the winners out there!!

Old 08-29-2017, 05:55 AM

Investing isn't spending, is it? If it is, I'd definitely save any windfalls and not spend it. I'd add it to the portfolio.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:55 AM

2,380 posts, read 1,231,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Investing isn't spending, is it? If it is, I'd definitely save any windfalls and not spend it. I'd add it to the portfolio.
Well, that's debatable.
It WILL be spent, just not now. It will be spent in the future, in future dollars with the interest it earns.

So investing for the future IS spending it in a way.

But that what I will do with my winnings. Spend them in the future, after I pay the taxes, lol.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 AM

838 posts, read 667,942 times
Let's $5000 is after all the taxes are taken out. I would use the money to pay off credit card debt.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well, I have an announcement update!!!

If you look at the heading on the contest winners for CD's own contest, I ACTUALLY WON!!!

So what will I do with my winnings??? (Granted it's not $5k, but it IS a winning).

Directly to the Roth IRA, for my future retirement just like I suggested here in my previous post on this thread.

Thank you CD you have brightened my day!

Congrats to ALL the winners out there!!
Congrats to you, but I'm not impressed w/ one of the selectees. His posts are troll-like. And he'll start a thread without contributing much. Kind of a hit and run with no follow-up. Does it in the political forum as well. Can't back up his OPs. Just riles posters up, imo.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well, that's debatable.
It WILL be spent, just not now. It will be spent in the future, in future dollars with the interest it earns.

So investing for the future IS spending it in a way.

But that what I will do with my winnings. Spend them in the future, after I pay the taxes, lol.
Economist would label what you're doing as "savings" and doesn't have much of a multiplier-effect if I recall my Micro and Macroecon 101 classes 30 yrs ago.....

Old 08-29-2017, 01:11 PM

5,343 posts, read 1,683,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Economist would label what you're doing as "savings" and doesn't have much of a multiplier-effect if I recall my Micro and Macroecon 101 classes 30 yrs ago.....
BucFan, since we ( Canadians) don't have to pay taxes on windfalls like American's do.. I'd pay off credit cards if I had any balance ( have been paying off all credit cards monthly for over 10 years so have no balance) next I would pay down on whatever mortgage I had within the limits ( 10% of original amount borrowed annually) .. then maybe replace some older appliance or replace a furnace etc.

LOL.. I'm not interested in travel or vacations @ my age.. so living rather simple the past 2-3 years!

Also, cannot put into RSP's since I'm past retirement stage to get the benefit. Oh, yeah.. I'd give some $$ to my grand babies for their future or get something they really NEED ( not just want). They will get a good chunk when I bite the Dust anyway..no need to spoil the gremlins right now

Old 08-29-2017, 03:24 PM

1,266 posts, read 372,804 times
I would use it all to make a big payment on a credit card. That would benefit for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance