Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:27 PM

18,062 posts, read 15,653,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Let me understand....your company's match can go into the ROTH 401k? Wow. OK.
I've only seen it where companies specifically say: the employees contribution can go into the ROTH 401k -- but the company's match has to go into the Traditional 401k...the match much be pre-tax.
No the company puts their matching portion in what I believe is a pre-tax bucket (but it's shown separately in my fideltiy account, labeled as "employer match". But the total considered for matching counts the employee's contributions in either pre-tax, roth, or the combo. As long as the employee has contributed 6% they will get the full amount of the match by the employer.

In fact every type of contribution is in its own bucket and the categories in our plan are:

- pre-tax
- pre-tax bonus
- roth
- roth bonus
- after-tax
- after-tax bonus
- employer match
- employer match bonus

They separate it all out, I assume for tax purposes and reporting to the IRS, etc. We are allowed to designate what % goes where, even for the bonus payout periods (twice a year). The only thing an employee does not control is saying where the employer's match goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:56 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
Yes. That's what I thought. But I'm still not crazy about having contributions in one account that are treated differently tax-wise. And also, when I ever I do take money out, I'd have to take the same amount from the Trad. balance AND the Roth balance. So again upon withdrawal, monies are treated differently tax wise. Again, I'm the only one apparently -- but I believe that COULD lead to mistakes in calculations.

Suppose the administrator (Vanguard, Fidelity, or whoever.....) doesn't take out evenly from each balance. Suppose they just don't. It's overlooked, Or it's an honest mistake. But it's done. I, ME, I am the one who is screwed and could face a penalty for it not being done correctly. When the 401k is ALL pre-tax -- sure the statement lists each pot separately -- employee contribution, company match, and employee catch-up, etc. BUT all that money is pre-tax and therefore it's all treated the same tax-wise. The extra complication of SOME of it being pre-tax -- and SOME of it being after tax doesn't exist.

That's all. But I seem to be the only one that has that concern. Me friends have accused me of being a drama queen. Perhaps I'm looking for a complication where there isn't one. But the bottom line remains you have two pots of money, treated differently tax wise in one account.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:59 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
I firmly believe this is incorrect
I've never heard of getting the employer max via your ROTH 401K
To my knowledge, in every case, you need to contribute to your traditional 401k in order to get the employer match.
Well you are incorrect

Old 08-27-2017, 10:15 AM

18,062 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Quote:
And also, when I ever I do take money out, I'd have to take the same amount from the Trad. balance AND the Roth balance.
What rule is that? Never heard of such a requirement.

Quote:
But I seem to be the only one that has that concern. Me friends have accused me of being a drama queen. Perhaps I'm looking for a complication where there isn't one. But the bottom line remains you have two pots of money, treated differently tax wise in one account.
Why don't you get informed and talk to a tax professional rather than make assumptions and scare yourself (unless you enjoy the fear). Knowledge is power.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 AM

125 posts, read 81,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well you are incorrect
I guess some companies allow you to contribute to either and take that into account, mine doesn't. But THE COMPANIE'S MATCHING contribution must not go into any sort of ROTH Account, including ROTH 410k account. So if you have a traditional 401k & Roth 401k offered, the company match always goes into the traditional 401k

IRS Website
Designated Roth Accounts-Contributing To Designated Roth Accounts
Matching contributions and forfeitures

Matching contributions and forfeitures may not be allocated to a designated Roth account.
However, employers may take into account designated Roth contributions in calculating any matching contributions under the terms of the plan. These amounts must be contributed to another account in the plan. https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/designated-roth-accounts-contributing-to-a-designated-roth-account

Question: Will employers typically make the same matching contribution to a Roth 401(k) as they would to a traditional 401(k), and if so would it be pre- or post-tax? —A.C.

Jeffrey Levine, chief retirement strategist and director of retirement education at Ed Slott and Company, offered the following response:

As far as the match goes, the employer doesn’t care where you make your salary deferrals. Whether you make them to the traditional side of your plan or the Roth side of the plan, your match—if applicable—will be the same. Furthermore, regardless of where you make your salary deferral, your match will always be made to the traditional side of the plan Q&A: How do employers match contributions to a Roth 401(k)? - MarketWatch

Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
TruckeeWannabee, uh, I believe what you posted doesn't even support your own point. Instead it's the other way around. It shows Lowexpectations' was correct.

The employee can put their contribution into EITHER the Roth or Trad side of the 401k. But the EMPLOYER match must always go into the TRADITIONAL side. I believe that's all Lower was trying to say.

As for being required to pull from both 'balances' in the Roth 401k:
I found this regarding gov't TSP's (the fed version of a 401k) and am still looking to find it regarding regular Roth 401ks.

"These two balances will keep your contributions, earnings, and any money you transfer into (or out of) your TSP account separate for tax purposes, but any loans, withdrawals, contribution allocations, and interfund transfers you make will include a proportional amount from each balance. You will not be able to take out, borrow from, or change the investment of, just one balance. Also, you will not be able to convert one type of balance into another."

My point is just that IF, the same proportion -- for whatever reason isn't taken out -- there could be consequences, perhaps a penalty? What happens when you don't take out enough money as an RMD, isn't the a penalty for that? In my mind, it's just another slight factor that's all.

Last edited by selhars; 08-27-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 PM

125 posts, read 81,356 times
Quote:
TruckeeWannabee, uh, I believe what you posted doesn't even support your own point. Instead it's the other way around. It shows Lowexpectations' was correct.
Yes I thought we had gotten past that with post #51 where Moxie responded to you. I apologize, probably my fault.

Quote:
The employee can put their contribution into EITHER the Roth or Trad side of the 401k. But the EMPLOYER match must always go into the TRADITIONAL side. I believe that's all Lower was trying to say.
Yes it is what she said in post #51. I believe this is true. It is not my own experience with my employer. They'll only match whatever is contributed up to 4% to the traditional 401k. They pay no attention to my 401k Roth.

Quote:
As for being required to pull from both 'balances' in the Roth 401k:
I found this regarding gov't TSP's (the fed version of a 401k) and am still looking to find it regarding regular Roth 401ks.

"These two balances will keep your contributions, earnings, and any money you transfer into (or out of) your TSP account separate for tax purposes, but any loans, withdrawals, contribution allocations, and interfund transfers you make will include a proportional amount from each balance. You will not be able to take out, borrow from, or change the investment of, just one balance. Also, you will not be able to convert one type of balance into another."

My point is just that IF, the same proportion -- for whatever reason isn't taken out -- there could be consequences, perhaps a penalty? What happens when you don't take out enough money as an RMD, isn't the a penalty for that? In my mind, it's just another slight factor that's all.
This is an amateur guess here....but I believe this is relating to Capital Gains Taxes. They want to ensure you are holding your assets for a specific amount of time and are assuming you are contributing somewhat equal balances to each account. I could be very wrong here

But just for information-

If you are in the 10-15% tax bracket, you pay no Long Term Capital Gains on the withdraws if the withdraws are minimal enough to keep you in the 10-15% tax bracket. This means holding your investments for 1 yr+1 day (or longer). https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...ower-rate.aspx

Yes there is a penalty for not taking out a specific amount of $$ or more when you hit 70 1//2. There are online RMD calculators online for use.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM

13,066 posts, read 7,502,913 times
We did have. Spent it all on buying a retirement home's down payment.
I am going wait to later in 2017 to see if we want to replenish Roth within the 60 day window or do taxable accounts.
Age 67/70. Retired. 25% marginal tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance