U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:57 PM

137 posts, read 59,939 times

Advertisements

Lets say someone has a joint checking or savings account.

Whats the difference between ------
-- Person 1 AND Person 2
-- Person 1 OR Person 2

Is there a difference? Or is it the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 06:00 PM

17,605 posts, read 12,197,156 times
That's a title issue. If it's joint with rights of survivorship or tenets in common is what matters

Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 PM

3,828 posts, read 3,132,132 times
This might vary by state and bank.

In car titles the and means both people have to sign to sell the car.
If or either person can sell the car. Basically or means either party can do whatever is permitted as if they owned the account alone.

Not sure how this would work for a bank account. Seems like both would have to sign each check issued. Do not know for sure. The or would let either sign.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:00 PM

5,796 posts, read 2,151,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
This might vary by state and bank.

In car titles the and means both people have to sign to sell the car.
If or either person can sell the car. Basically or means either party can do whatever is permitted as if they owned the account alone.

Not sure how this would work for a bank account. Seems like both would have to sign each check issued. Do not know for sure. The or would let either sign.
Sorry, but any joint account only requires one to sign a check or make payment. It does NOT require 2 signatures given 2017 day and age of online banking.. IF joint accounts are registered either party can pay bills or transfer funds.

One good point would be.. there will always be a paper trail.. as ALL transactions are retrievable!! I would NOT recommend ever combining all funds into a JOINT ACCOUNT EVER!! Just have an account joint that pays for specific things.. NOT paying for sundries etc etc etc!!

Problem that comes up IF one loses their job and deposits diminish.. and the poor alternate becomes responsible!! I learned that lesson some 40 years ago.. and closed it ASAP.. made arrangements to close Credit cards with whomever... Never (unless you are RICH beyond belief) allow yourself to be held accountable for a DEADBEAT!!

As for joint accounts you best be VERY VERY careful.. and just maybe insure it?? Many deadbeat types or the ones who have hidden baggage which could directly affect you etc etc!!

In most cases, there's usually a money person.. and when the $ person ( as I was.. figured it out PDQ.. Thus cancelled credit cards.. closed joint accounts etc....

OP's question comes down to a simple thing... Joint means either one is responsible.. It's not I'm responsible unless I sign off on thing!! I recommend.. NO JOINT ever unless insured!!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 AM

3,750 posts, read 10,201,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Sorry, but any joint account only requires one to sign a check or make payment. It does NOT require 2 signatures given 2017 day and age of online banking.. IF joint accounts are registered either party can pay bills or transfer funds.

One good point would be.. there will always be a paper trail.. as ALL transactions are retrievable!! I would NOT recommend ever combining all funds into a JOINT ACCOUNT EVER!! Just have an account joint that pays for specific things.. NOT paying for sundries etc etc etc!!

Problem that comes up IF one loses their job and deposits diminish.. and the poor alternate becomes responsible!! I learned that lesson some 40 years ago.. and closed it ASAP.. made arrangements to close Credit cards with whomever... Never (unless you are RICH beyond belief) allow yourself to be held accountable for a DEADBEAT!!

As for joint accounts you best be VERY VERY careful.. and just maybe insure it?? Many deadbeat types or the ones who have hidden baggage which could directly affect you etc etc!!

In most cases, there's usually a money person.. and when the $ person ( as I was.. figured it out PDQ.. Thus cancelled credit cards.. closed joint accounts etc....

OP's question comes down to a simple thing... Joint means either one is responsible.. It's not I'm responsible unless I sign off on thing!! I recommend.. NO JOINT ever unless insured!!
I would say that in the *OLD* days; it would mean exactly what this poster is saying is no longer necessary/enforceable.

If it is Person 1 AND Person 2 -- both would have to sign.
If it is Person 1 OR Person 2 -- either could sign.

It may be true that with the advent of more computurized banking, that that is no longer true. However I do know that banks (at least my banks) still enforce the AND for checks that are made out that way. (i.e. my in laws send an anniversary gift made out to myself AND my husband; bank refuses to cash unless both of us sign the check)

Old 08-25-2017, 02:27 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I don't know about joint accounts being and/or situations, but from having worked at a bank, and later a credit union, those little words mean a huge difference when a check is written to two recipients. If you write a check to Bob and Jane Smith, then both of them have to endorse the check, and may have to both be present with ID to cash it in some situations, or have to deposit it into a joint account. If you write a check to Bob or Jane Smith, then you are allowing for either of them to endorse it (not necessarily both) and either of them to deposit or cash it.

So, for the most part, to make a check easier to deal with if you're writing it to a couple, or multiple parties, I pretty much always use "or."

My role was never account setup, but more deposit and payment processing, so I have little expert input on setting up a joint account, but if there is a difference, it will be whether both parties have to sign off on certain transactions, or only one.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:30 PM

11,039 posts, read 11,450,778 times
There is little reason to have a joint account. My wife and I have individual accounts, but for emergency purposes we have each provided signature cards for the other person's account. If I am incapacitated, my wife can access all my funds and vice versa.

"And" bank accounts are normally opened for business purposes, where the CFO will write and sign the check, which then goes to the CEO for the second signature, or for partnerships where both partners have to agree to business expenditures.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:45 PM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times
is the other signature card a poa signature card ? i never heard of a non owner having a signature card . if it is a poa signature card poa is no longer in effect at death . if it is a tod account she legally can't access it now .

Old 08-30-2017, 10:12 AM

11,039 posts, read 11,450,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
is the other signature card a poa signature card ? i never heard of a non owner having a signature card . if it is a poa signature card poa is no longer in effect at death . if it is a tod account she legally can't access it now .
No, it's just set up so we can each sign on the other's account. We don't even have our accounts at the same bank. I don't know what your acronyms mean, particularly tod, but we are each other's sole heirs in case of death, so nobody would make an issue of it.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 AM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times
tod = transfer on death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or