U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 PM

3,059 posts, read 2,351,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I lost my job, and my health insurance, in May of 2017. We got my wife signed up for obama-care, but because it was so expensive we only got her insurance. So it is now almost September 2017, and I have a temp job now, but the insurance wont kick in until about six months from now which happens to be when my contract is up. How much longer can I be off insurance before I get in trouble?
This could be an open item without a good answer. As you stated you can not afford the affordable insurance. When you do your tax return skip the AHC questions and do not assess yourself a penalty. You might get a letter from the IRS but probably no follow up. Could be end of story. But if you have a refund coming they might deduct the penalty from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 01:25 AM

271 posts, read 68,911 times
Shortly after Trump took office, this is what he did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3SPsDaloc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5CqNbqTCR0

I apologize, you'll need to cut and paste this. It keeps adding the words URL to the front and back of the link.

Our accountant was fully aware of this when I informed him last tax time (april, 2017 when we filed).

What I understood is that we are not forced to declare whether we've had insurnace or not. My husband didn't have it so I did alot of research. My accountant said IRS could still request that info from us and issue a penalty but you dont need to list it on your tax return, whether you had insurance or not.

Last edited by SierraCountyMtnBiker; 08-31-2017 at 01:34 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 02:39 AM

1,043 posts, read 457,412 times
Look at WWW.INSUBUY.COM. I live abroad and pay about 100 per month with Tokio Marine who bought HCC. It doesn't cover cancer, and doesn't cover the US....I get a separate policy for visits to America...about five bucks per day with a 1000 USD deductible...I am mid 50s. You could do that for six months. Look at "STM" Policies....I was haply with my 5000 deductible with Blue Cross but that policy was outlawed by BO. The number one difference in me living overseas is that if I have abdominal or chest pain, I am not going to hesitate to go to the ER. In the US, that would be life changing, even with BOcare and it was simply something you ate. 10000? 20000? Those are very common numbers for people showing up at the ER with abdo final pain.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:05 AM

7,980 posts, read 3,762,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
thought trump repealed that penalty as soon as he possibly could - could be mistaken - his way of pulling the legs from under ACA to ensure it fails
It's not repealed. The IRS is instructed to not look very hard for people who check the "I have insurance" check box who don't actually have health insurance. With a joint return and a spouse on an ACA exchange, it's likely a pretty low risk but it's still tax fraud.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:46 PM

7,776 posts, read 11,140,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
thought trump repealed that penalty as soon as he possibly could - could be mistaken - his way of pulling the legs from under ACA to ensure it fails
He directed the IRS not to enforce it. He expected the ACA to be history by now. I'm not sure where it stands now. My guess is he continues to tell the IRS to not enforce it and not fund the ACA to hasten its demise and force congress into action.

To answer the question, you are playing Russian roulette without health insurance and the longer you wait the more you are pulling the trigger. At some point the result will be unfortunate. I hadn't been to a Dr. in 10 years until I got 2 inguinal hernias this year and had to have surgery. Without it they were debilitating me and affecting my ability to walk and stand. It was $2k with insurance and over $25k without insurance.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:24 PM

2,377 posts, read 1,229,861 times
Topher, do what you have to do to get Health Care insurance.

Why?

Because you don't know WHAT may happen to you.

In my late 20s, early 30s I had NO Health insurance.
I blew through my retirement funds and all my savings and ended up homeless living under a RR bridge next to tracks. Literally.

I had 3 surgeries, spent a total of 8 months in the hospital total in a rolling 12 month period. I had issues with my gallbladder, liver was acting up, had pancreatitis, a hernia repair surgery, and severe gastritis ( later had gi surgery to), and had benign prostate issues, and my back issues turned to be degenerative disc disease.

I've had 20 surgeries total to date, take 16 medications, have 20 medical conditions. All started back then.

I joked with my part time job manager that the gallbladder surgery was going to cost $10k. Well, it cost $10,000.02. that's right, $0.02 whole cents over $10k.
You can negotiate with the hospital, but that only reduced it to $8k. I made $3.00 too much at my part time job to get medicaid.

So things can easily happen to you that you never saw coming.

Forget ACA laws, you are only allowed 3 months without insurance, then the penalty kicks in, but do you want your wife to be homeless too if you get really sick? I was single so it only hurt me to be homeless, but you're married. Think of her,!

So GET and maintain health insurance, you can also set up a HSA account (Health Savings Account) at your credit union. It can help, but I NO REPLACEMENT for health insurance, instead it supplements it.

GET COVERED NOW. You could get hurt at work, you could get very I'll.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:55 AM

1,273 posts, read 449,208 times
Well you can file an exemption if you went two CONSECUTIVE months or less without insurance. (small gap exemption) But other than that, it's going to be $695 per adult or 2.5% of your AGI, whichever is higher.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,031,137 times
Just got a hold of the temp agency that I'm working through, and I'm not eligible for insurance until I work 1600 hour, and by that time my contract will be up

Old 09-03-2017, 11:00 PM

338 posts, read 291,864 times
Quote:
I lost my job, and my health insurance, in May of 2017. We got my wife signed up for obama-care, but because it was so expensive we only got her insurance. So it is now almost September 2017, and I have a temp job now, but the insurance wont kick in until about six months from now which happens to be when my contract is up. How much longer can I be off insurance before I get in trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
Shortly after Trump took office, this is what he did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3SPsDaloc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5CqNbqTCR0

I apologize, you'll need to cut and paste this. It keeps adding the words URL to the front and back of the link.

Our accountant was fully aware of this when I informed him last tax time (april, 2017 when we filed).

What I understood is that we are not forced to declare whether we've had insurnace or not. My husband didn't have it so I did alot of research. My accountant said IRS could still request that info from us and issue a penalty but you dont need to list it on your tax return, whether you had insurance or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
He directed the IRS not to enforce it. He expected the ACA to be history by now. I'm not sure where it stands now. My guess is he continues to tell the IRS to not enforce it and not fund the ACA to hasten its demise and force congress into action.

To answer the question, you are playing Russian roulette without health insurance and the longer you wait the more you are pulling the trigger. At some point the result will be unfortunate. I hadn't been to a Dr. in 10 years until I got 2 inguinal hernias this year and had to have surgery. Without it they were debilitating me and affecting my ability to walk and stand. It was $2k with insurance and over $25k without insurance.

A big, big "secret" of the ACA penalty, long before Trump... going back to when the ACA was established... Was that it was never enforceable.

Under the rules that established the ACA, if you were subjected to the penalty but refused to pay it... you could not be criminally charged, no liens could be placed. The only thing the IRS (is currently) able to do is POSSIBLY reduce any refunds you are owed:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph.../#4d7e622e40a0

https://www.abbb.com/enewsletter/art...n-you-dont-pay

https://www.healthinsurance.org/faqs...-is-this-true/

Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 PM

8,094 posts, read 14,017,555 times
Quote:
This whole ACA thing is hurting me more than it is helping me
You and 27 million other Americans.

When you file your taxes - and I don't know what the form looks like, I use the Q&A method in TaxAct - there's a question that asks why you didn't have insurance for the entire year, and one of the options is "I couldn't afford it". Just check that box, the form doesn't ask for documentation. I had to do it two years ago and will have to again next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance