U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2017, 09:07 PM
 
3,023 posts, read 989,944 times
Reputation: 1245

Advertisements

Just received an email letting me know that I received $8.00 cash back for all the check card purchases I made in August and another $9.95 which is a reimbursement for all the atm fees in August. Never experienced anything like this before and now glad I made the decision to join a credit union for my banking. The bank that I was with before 7/31 has not given me $17.95 at all during the whole year of 2017. I'm mad at myself for not joining the credit union a lot sooner.

Has anyone ever heard of this with any other credit union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2017, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
6,297 posts, read 3,474,966 times
Reputation: 14916
I've heard of quite a few banks (especially online ones) reimbursing ATM fees. I've never heard of reimbursement of check card fees, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 09:27 PM
 
3,023 posts, read 989,944 times
Reputation: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I've heard of quite a few banks (especially online ones) reimbursing ATM fees. I've never heard of reimbursement of check card fees, though.
No the cash back I received ($8.00) was from the purchases I made in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 07:21 AM
 
6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
Reputation: 8299
I guess that's a good credit union.

I've been with a credit union for decades.

Not all credit unions are the same, of course. But I've been doing less and less business with banks for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 07:36 AM
 
3,023 posts, read 989,944 times
Reputation: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I guess that's a good credit union.

I've been with a credit union for decades.

Not all credit unions are the same, of course. But I've been doing less and less business with banks for years.
The money i will get back every 1st of the month, should i apply that to debt or put it in my savings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
6,297 posts, read 3,474,966 times
Reputation: 14916
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The money i will get back every 1st of the month, should i apply that to debt or put it in my savings?
Depends.

Do you have an emergency fund? How much debt are we talking about, and do yo have a plan for paying it down?

My priorities for using the cash back money would be:

1. Emergency fund (until you have 6 months' expenses saved up), then

2. Pay down debt (until it's gone), then

3. Add to general savings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 08:54 AM
 
3,023 posts, read 989,944 times
Reputation: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Depends.

Do you have an emergency fund? How much debt are we talking about, and do yo have a plan for paying it down?

My priorities for using the cash back money would be:

1. Emergency fund (until you have 6 months' expenses saved up), then

2. Pay down debt (until it's gone), then

3. Add to general savings


Debt is currently at $2200. Ok so i will apply it to the debt each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 01:41 PM
 
291 posts, read 131,038 times
Reputation: 445
I earn $40-50 a month in cash back, none of it from banks. You are way, way behind the curve. Bless you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 PM
 
3,023 posts, read 989,944 times
Reputation: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
I earn $40-50 a month in cash back, none of it from banks. You are way, way behind the curve. Bless you.
Well $18.00 is a month is a big boost from $0 lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 PM
 
8,142 posts, read 5,998,122 times
Reputation: 10553
USAA used to reimburse the ATM fees, but I changed my account with them to a cashback account.. it gives a dime per debit transaction.. For August, I got $5.90 back.

For my cash rewards Visa, I got 24.72

I've just started throwing things on the credit card to get the cashback. Got about $90 this year between it and the checking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top