U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 02:01 PM
14,620 posts, read 13,949,437 times

Hello, I recently moved and found a letter from the IRS under a dresser in my bedroom. It was dated May 2016 and was a Form CP81. Basically it says that I had a credit for tax year 2012 and I would forfeit the refund if I did not immediately file those tax forms.

I vaguely remember receiving the letter and being really puzzled as I was pretty sure that I was up to date on filing taxes and this was the first, and only, notice that I had received about that tax year. I seem to recall checking that I had my copy of the form sent in by TurboTax but I truly could not remember if I had received a refund for that year or not. It was actually a pretty substantial refund listed, far larger than we would normally receive so it did cross my mind, at that time, that it was actually taxes that were withheld and somehow there was a problem with the filing by TurboTax. In 2012, I was the caregiver for a disabled spouse as well as working multiple jobs so it was possible that something, even something pretty major like taxes, could "slip by me" in my completely overwhelmed state.

Also, at the time (May 2016)that I received that letter my husband was seriously ill the hospital and, by this time, I was his full time, round the clock, caregiver. I decided to check on the letter later. However, I completely forgot about that letter until it turned up under a piece of furniture two weeks ago.

I have tried to call the IRS four separate times since then. Each time the automated system has asked for information that the letter/notice did not contain such as my caller ID (left blank on the notice). Also, each time, after being on hold for 15 to 25 minutes it appears that the IRS system hangs up on me before I can talk to a human being. I do not hang up on them so they must be hanging up on me.

I have tried to go to the IRS website but am having even more trouble than I had when I tried to call them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help.

Thank you.

PS. Please try not to be snarky in your responses. My life has been pretty difficult this past year, I have been in and out of the hospital for various health issues of my own and now I am trying to recover from Stage IV uterine/ovarian/colon cancer as well as having other health issues. My husband is permanently disabled with dementia and a traumatic brain injury, and also, has been hospitalized numerous times this year due to his other serious health issues. So, I would prefer not to read responses simply telling me that I was stupid and dumb and not giving positive suggestions of what I should do now. Thank you.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-08-2017 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: added PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or