Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
What are you saving? Most card companies charge 3 to 4% of the total and while there are free ones you'll exhaust those quickly.
I weep for the reading comprehension of this country. The proposal in question is a zero percent and zero fee credit card. It is nonsense that those are limited. Any financial site can point you to seven or eight of them. Currently Chase Slate and Discovery IT offer them to pretty much anyone. The HELOC works because of a number of tricks in the way interest is calculated. So you are still saving some interest though not a heck of a lot.

I have never understood the fear of credit cards. If you have discipline it is a god send and also, I would far prefer to default on credit card debt than a secured loan like a HELOC.

By paying ahead and changing the allocation of your interest to principle for every payment thereafter, it hasens how quickly you can pay it off. But also means that you still have some money around should you need it and for investing. No matter what the bottom line is that you have use of someone else's money in substantial amounts for a reasonably long time period.

I like this calculator. It also tells you how much interest you save.

Extra Payment Calculator ~ Amortization Schedules ~ Accelerated Payments

I am just glad people are so scare of credit cards so I can use this for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 06:02 AM

360 posts, read 372,220 times
I don't trust these offers. To have a loans or a mortgage keeps the credit score high.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I weep for the reading comprehension of this country. The proposal in question is a zero percent and zero fee credit card. .
I assumed they were talking about the cash advance fees. Are you saying these zero percent offers allow you to take cash advances with no fees? I honestly don't know. I know they used to.

I used to work in the credit industry. It was not unusual for creditors to raise the interest rates on other accounts if you suddenly utilized a large amount of credit.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I assumed they were talking about the cash advance fees. Are you saying these zero percent offers allow you to take cash advances with no fees?
Yes that is what I am saying. ZERO.. nada, nothing - you get free money. I am almost wondering if I should tell you this as clearly you don't know about it. Chase Slate is offering this right now as far as I know.. for everyone.
0%; 0% fees for 18 months. When I first applied I had only a $5000 credit limit. But I transferred credit from my other chase cards and now I have 23K available to me on this card.

I paid off my student loans this way so I am pretty sure that these offers are common. I believe they do them for two reasons (1) If you forget after 18 months you get hit on the 19th month (but I have set up reminders in my google calendar); and (2) once you go to the hassle of opening a card, you are unlikely to cancel it.

Assuming that they do raise rates on other cards.. I don't care. I pay them off each month anyway.

Chase has informed me they will not do a "balance transfer" into my checking account until I had the card open 3 months (which makes sense) But as I mentioned there are ways around that by transferring way more than you need to another card and asking that card for a cash refund.

I often suggest to interns at my work that they pay off their student loans this way. If you "pay off" your loan with the credit card -- credit card debt is dischargeable in bankruptcy. Student loans are not. So if you have 35K in student loans and you put some or all of it on credit cards... well.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:03 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I assumed they were talking about the cash advance fees. Are you saying these zero percent offers allow you to take cash advances with no fees? I honestly don't know. I know they used to.

I used to work in the credit industry. It was not unusual for creditors to raise the interest rates on other accounts if you suddenly utilized a large amount of credit.
I look at most of he ones talked about here. They all have balance transfer fees unless I'm not understanding some thing?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Yes that is what I am saying. ZERO.. nada, nothing - you get free money. I am almost wondering if I should tell you this as clearly you don't know about it. Chase Slate is offering this right now as far as I know.. for everyone.
0%; 0% fees for 18 months. When I first applied I had only a $5000 credit limit. But I transferred credit from my other chase cards and now I have 23K available to me on this card.

I paid off my student loans this way so I am pretty sure that these offers are common. I believe they do them for two reasons (1) If you forget after 18 months you get hit on the 19th month (but I have set up reminders in my google calendar); and (2) once you go to the hassle of opening a card, you are unlikely to cancel it.

Assuming that they do raise rates on other cards.. I don't care. I pay them off each month anyway.

Chase has informed me they will not do a "balance transfer" into my checking account until I had the card open 3 months (which makes sense) But as I mentioned there are ways around that by transferring way more than you need to another card and asking that card for a cash refund.

I often suggest to interns at my work that they pay off their student loans this way. If you "pay off" your loan with the credit card -- credit card debt is dischargeable in bankruptcy. Student loans are not. So if you have 35K in student loans and you put some or all of it on credit cards... well.

If you payoff your student loans with credit cards and then file bankruptcy let me know how well that goes when it's overly obvious to the judge and creditors what you did

Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
The banks have profitable reasons for offering 0-percent introductory CC's, since they do not make a profit on 0-percent loans. Quite simply, they depend on human nature and impulse buying, to keep them in the black.

I've used HELOC's over the years for various short-term reasons -(and am looking at a fixed rate HELOC now at prime less 1%) to avoid using tax-deferred money. I've never heard or thought of using a HELOC to pay-down one's mortgage interest (in addition to paying down the HELOC). But, I've not had a mortgage for many years.

The only way that seems to make sense is if the HELOC rate is less than one's mortgage rate. But, if that is the case, why not simply RE-FI the base loan (Closing costs generally have a 2-3-year breakeven point). Otherwise, reduce the loan term to save interests. (ie; reducing a 30-year to a 15-year mortgage (officially or artificially) saves a boatload of interest - without proportionately increasing the mortgage payment).

Old 09-21-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The only way that seems to make sense is if the HELOC rate is less than one's mortgage rate. But, if that is the case, why not simply RE-FI the base loan (Closing costs generally have a 2-3-year breakeven point). Otherwise, reduce the loan term to save interests. (ie; reducing a 30-year to a 15-year mortgage (officially or artificially) saves a boatload of interest - without proportionately increasing the mortgage payment).

But haven't we already covered this? You give 10K to the mortgage but by putting your pay check into the HELOC the interest accrues on a lot less.. typically like 5K. So the HELOC will be calculating interest on less than you threw at the mortgage all of the time.

So interest on 10K of a mortgage is say $40 (4%). But interest on 5K HELOC is $20 (roughly similar interest rate). So yes, you are not making a TON of difference... but the numbers do no harm and offer subtle improvements. And as a bonus it changes the make up of your future mortgage payments so that more of your payment goes to principle and less to interest leading to a quicker pay off than if you just did your normal payments. This also saves a boatload of interest.

In addition, during the HELOC draw period, 10 years usually you only pay interest.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you payoff your student loans with credit cards and then file bankruptcy let me know how well that goes when it's overly obvious to the judge and creditors what you did
Err what difference does it make? Your student loans have been paid. Whether it is from your cash or your credit cards... no one would care. The law doesn't care. There is no "look back" back period with regard to student loans. Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Credit card debt is. That is the law. There is nothing wrong with this.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I look at most of he ones talked about here. They all have balance transfer fees unless I'm not understanding some thing?
You are not understanding.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...lance-transfer -- the slate card gives you zero % and zero balance transfer fees.

Here is a list of other cards.

9 Best 0% APR credit cards with no fees - September 2017 - MagnifyMoney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance