Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:59 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,892,203 times

Advertisements

I see it a little differently. Your wife is causing you a lot of heartache and headache, but let's forget about her for the moment. If you are going to take care of yourself with or without her, you need to make more money... a LOT more.

You have an MBA, but you are thinking of taking on extra work at $10 an hour. How about $30 an hour for basic accounting? I bill at $350 an hour. I am probably not that much more skilled than you, but I have gray hair, a lifetime of connections, and a reputation for adding value. That is what you have to build. If you don't think you're worth more than $10 an hour, or $70K in New York for a full time job, maybe your employers also don't think you can bring in clients or do work that solves their problems, so they are treating you as free labor. You need to build your skills, confidence, connections, and business reputation.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 03:01 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,892,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Temporary? I think it will take many, many years to pay that off. By the time they paid it off 10-30 years down the road, others have paid their house off.

I do not understand how people can sleep at night, knowing they accumulated so much debt.
$270,000 is a year's pay for two pharmacists. After taxes it's maybe a year and a half's pay. What else can you invest in that earns a 100% return every year and a half?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance