Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 PM

9,420 posts, read 4,266,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A: Because people tend to spend more when they borrow money, even at 0% interest.
You're probably right, but all I'm saying is that the math rarely comes out good when paying cash. Yes, many people will spend more if they don't have to part with a big chunk of cash all at once. That's a character flaw - just like paying cash because of the psychological comfort of not having a loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:43 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,241,964 times
Well let's do the math. If I pay 20K for a car cash vs 2% loan for 3 years and put the 20K in a in a S&P 500 fund.

I am unsure what we will assume the S&P will do over the next 3 years? Do anyone know?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:00 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,779,161 times
It depends on whether you mean this is the final payment on your last car ...or your last payment on your current car.

If this is not your last car, start saving the current payment amount toward your next car, so you don't automatically jump back into a long, drawn-out cycle of high car payments.

It also makes sense to save those 'car payments' in some type of an income-producing account, where you don't simply view it as a 'back-up checking account.'

This is how people get to the point where they pay cash for things, particularly things that depreciate, rather than indenture themselves to banks.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:20 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,359,709 times
When you pay up front for a car with money on hand you're still making a car payment. You're just doing it in advance of purchasing the car.

I've only paid cash for a car once - when I was in high school buying a beater - all the other times I've used a cashiers check. I don't think many people actually pay cash for a car these days.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:14 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,061,881 times
I'd put it away for a "car fund". I personally never want a car payment again.

I see it's a very "unpopular" opinion but idc...I don't by brand new or very expensive cars anyway Just something nice and reliable. My boss does this and it works great for him.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM

10,336 posts, read 7,922,290 times
I think any variation of "bank it" or "invest it" is fine. Put it in a bank account, use it to pay down your mortgage faster, put in in your IRA, whatever. Pick whichever one suits. Just don't select the option "spend it!"

Old 09-25-2017, 03:02 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,450,446 times
The point made by mysticaltiger just hit close to home.

My best friend who has always bought used vehicles, well he and wifey just bought wifey a $27k jeep, brand new, for a whopping $535/m payment, "just because she wanted it and we got approved ". They will pay back $32k++ over the five years. God, I hope it's only 5 years! They usually finance for 6. Even on used cars because they could never afford better.

Now he's saddled worth a $225 payment for his used car for another 3.5 years PLS Her car payment of $535...$760 worth of car payments instead of buying another used one. Their mortgage is only $600. They lost their last house due to not paying the mortgage!!

He never listens....tsk tsk.

He's on SSDI and she's an $18/hr nursing something.

His entire SSDI check now goes to mortgage and car payments. He says it's " alright cause the $535 comes out of HER money automatically. "

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Old 09-25-2017, 04:17 PM

24,530 posts, read 18,084,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A: Because people tend to spend more when they borrow money, even at 0% interest.
This. It's really easy to rationalize "it's only another $100/month" or "it's a 7 year loan instead of a 4 year loan but I'm worth it" and buy more car than you should.

I pay cash for cars. It keeps me from spending more than I should. I'm high enough income that I don't need a separate new car fund. I can just dial back my spending for 6 to 8 months and create the cash to replace my car. I don't make big enough money for those cars to be luxury brands.

For me, the other thing I have to consider is that the older I get, the longer it takes to find my next job if something bad happens. When I was 28, my company could go under and I'd have a better job for more money a couple of weeks later. That actually happened to me. At age 59, there's no telling how much down time I'll have so I carry no debt at all beyond this month's charges on my credit card. In the last decade, I went through 14 1/2 months and 10 months. The size of my emergency fund is absurd. 3 years at my current burn rate and that includes the boat yard bills and the ski condo bills. If I had a bunch of debt, I could run myself out of money and have to start dipping into retirement savings. That would be a catastrophe but it was the reality of a ton of people at the Great Recession.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,450,446 times
Oops, I have to correct my previous post my best friends wife's loan is 72 months, so 6 years at $535/m.!!

I just found that out.

All that for a $27k jeep. $38,520 some odd dollars for a $27k vehicle. Of course their credit rating is not so hot.

It will cost them a pretty penny.

And To boot, at 5 years they will want to trade it as they will be "tired of it".

Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,737,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Because the amount of people who qualified for a 0-2% car loan are simply few and far between. And most 0% loans are manufacturer backed and don't give you the discounts/rebates you would otherwise
this is absolutely true and a good point. I bought my last car on an advertised special in the paper. Got a deal, way under MSRP. But you had to choose between the 0% financing they were offering or getting the deal. I took the lower price obviously. Ended up refinancing into a still low rate, but if you had a mediocre credit score, would absolutely make sense to pay cash. I think the initial rate was like 4% or aomething like that from the dealer before I immediately refinanced with a local bank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance