Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 1,593 times

Advertisements

Hello anybody who can assist me. I had a collision with another car when I was driving cross country last year. My insurance had expired 12 hours before the wreck because I am a dodo. Anyway, the wreck was my fault so I have to pay her insurance company personally - out of pocket. Seems fair.. Because I was unable to do this in a timely manner, that insurance company sent the bill into collections. This outside collections company has contacted me saying if I don't pay up they will cancel my license. This is pretty scary so I have been paying them $5 to $10 a month just to try and pay something. That's all I have and all I can do at the moment because of my medical expenses which I had to pay to continue getting treatment at the hospital.
The insurance company I owe is Allstate (if I am allowed to say this).
I don't know what to do to handle this in a way that I can keep my license. Who would be suing me.. Allstate who I owe? or the collections company that is contacting me (torturing me).?lll....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Get another job and pay up.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:02 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLisa View Post
I had a collision with another car when I was driving cross country last year.
My insurance had expired 12 hours before the wreck because I am a dodo. Anyway...
Anyway... did you immediately contact your agent?

Insurance grace periods: When do you get cut off?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:17 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Get another job and pay up.
Yep. Like yesterday.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Some collections companies will say and do anything to get you to pay (that's how they get paid!). However, no collection company has the authority to "cancel your license."

Work out a payment plan you can live with and don't be buffaloed by their scare tactics.

Did you check back with your insurance company to see if they have a 'grace period?' (or did they also send you several warnings that you were past-due and would lose coverage if you did not bring it up to date by a specific time?)

Old 09-24-2017, 01:51 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
No sympathy from me. This is why I have my auto and renter's auto-deducted from my bank account every month, so I don't have to worry about it lapsing due to a late or forgotten payment. Not to mention it cuts down on processing surcharges.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:54 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Some collections companies will say and do anything to get you to pay (that's how they get paid!). However, no collection company has the authority to "cancel your license."
No, but if this poster's state is like mine, DMV will be notified about the lack of insurance. I have to at least have liability on my vehicle for it to be registered in my state.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:01 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
I don't have much sympathy either
. You know when your insurance is due, it's obvious to you now that paying it is far cheaper.

$5 Or $10 a month is nothing if you owe a few thousand. It's not like a hospital bill, where you can do that.

Find out as noted about grace periods, if your grace period was also up, you're basically screwed.

Get an extra job and start sending it all to them, or they WILL garnish your current pay, and it won't be for $5 Or $10 a month.

You need to cut expenses. Cut out cable tv, extra phone service, cut down your food budget, eat ramen noodles if you have to. Cut out extras of any kind. There's something you can cut to get the extra. Cut your heat or a.c. back, wear sweaters or sweat a little, you're sweating now aren't you?

They can also note to your home state that you were driving without insurance, and indeed, your license may at least be suspended.

You know you were at fault: in the accident, in the lapse of insurance. Pay up.

I NEVER ignore my vehicle insurance. It comes duectge same time either once a month, once every three months or once every six months.

Being a to dodo won't help you in this case.

Insurance companies are aggressive.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:07 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
How much are we talking?

That was a giant stroke of bad luck I must say. Car insurance is nothing to mess around with. Many people are inadequately covered even though they do have an active policy. The state minimum requirements to be legal are a joke in many places. (New Jersey being one of them.)

Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
Ouch, that sucks. How much do you owe?

You could take out a personal loan to pay, but of course that will suck, too. I'd cut back as much as you can on expenses. Pick up a second job. Get on a lower payment plan with your medical bills. Whatever it takes to pay it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance