Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 21,956 times

Advertisements

Hello,

As our lives become more data dependent, many of us may be becoming more dependent on passwords, social security and similar, type numbers, account numbers etc.

I have begun to wonder, if something were to happen to me, without the complex legal process of getting court orders etc. whom and or where can I store my important personal information?

For example, if I were to be in an accident, maybe with my family, whom can I trust to have my medical insurance information, my SS number etc.

Of course there is also the issue of online passwords, accounts etc. I understand there are password managers etc, but then...they may also require a master password, so at some point there is some 'master' access code, password, etc. that I need to remember and/or store.

I understand one option is to give it to other family members or friends, but I am curious what else?

Are there professional services that can manage such information and transmit them to the right person(s) e.g a beneficiary or similar if the need arises.

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this question, moderators please feel free to move it.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:24 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
I keep a list of sites and passwords in a small spiral bound note pad locked in the safe.

My OH knows it is there, along with the other important papers that my OH will need if I die.

Since none of our banking is electronic, if we both pass, either our heirs will go to the bank armed with the info and death certificatd, or it won't matter if they ever post here that i have passed.

I mean who here, will really miss me?

There is one loose leaf binder with important info for the executor in the safe for those types of docs. That will be found.

Now if they only find the access key and the pin number for the safe......from where I've hidden it.

If I become to a point where I am getting feeble, they will be told where that stuff is.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:31 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
"My OH knows it is there, along with the other important papers that my OH will need if I die."

OH? Ostrich Husband? Original Hero? Opinionated Harlot? Overweight Hippo?

Old 09-25-2017, 09:00 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
^^ Other Half....

Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Other Half....
Exactly.

My OH is NOT my "better half", nor my "lesser half". Nor am I, so my Other Half is just that...OH.

THAT IS NOT a new definition, either. Any more than "DH" or "DW" is. And I think too many people are condescending when they use "Dear" to refer to their OH. So I don't use it.

Neither is MIL or FIL.

And I think we all know what the SHTF means.

Now if you EM, ....

Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
We have a fire safe for important papers. I have an electronic document in my computer that I keep to hold usernames and passwords for different sites. I kept having to change passwords cause I am losing my mind and kept forgetting them.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:11 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
family member

Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I have a password manager program that itself has a password where it lists the name of the account, user ID, URL, password, and any other comment I wish to make. It's called KeePass.

No one knows the database password, so they couldn't get in. I need to show my parents how this works and what the password is. As it stands, no one could even get into my personal computer. My iPhone/iPad passcodes have no relevance to any other number I'd use. They wouldn't be guessed.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
My sister and I have Social Security numbers 1 digit apart. I have a Social Security card in my fire box. You can find it on old tax returns in that fire box.

I manage my mother's financial affairs. A lot of it is web-based. My sister has the account numbers, passwords, and URL for all of those in case I get hit by a truck.

For my stuff, why would anyone need my passwords? My sister has power of attorney. I have beneficiaries for everything. If she needed access to something, she can FAX or mail the POA document and get access.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
When I was a teacher, I had a whole class on this. Every website you sign up for has its own password requirements. An administrator shared his method. He used Evernote. Then every single website he had an account with was recorded- he used code for his passwords. I can't remember how he coded the words, but for any numbers it would be like 1sts3d, signifying his 1st born's birth date minus three days. It was crazy how elaborate this was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance