Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,655,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I don't care if someone comes from a rich family but I think it is pretty lame when people try to use money as the sole measuring stick for success. Some of the wealthier people I know have an attitude that personal accomplishments need to be monetized in order for them to be considered worthwhile. I attribute this to their own insecurity regarding their abilities to do things other than just being rich. It is absolutely human nature for an individual to adopt a values system that prioritizes characteristics in which they excel. For example, professional athletes will often base a large part of their self worth on how well they play a game, musicians will value their proficiency with an instrument, and academics like myself will value our contributions to our field of study. Because money can buy so many things, SOME wealthy people adopt an attitude that the values such as the ones I described earlier(athletics, arts, intellectual pursuits, etc) don't really matter unless they contribute to the bottom line. If money is all that is important, being rich obviously lets that person rank themselves very high up on the pecking order.

I find people, rich or poor, who are obsessed with money to be incredibly boring, and the act of creating things to be far more important that the capacity to acquire things. I understand that my values are based to some extent on my own socioeconomic status where I don't have to worry about being poor or affording basic necessities yet I have no career aspirations of becoming mega rich either. I am very happy that my parents encouraged me to follow a career that allowed me to do what I love rather than chasing a bigger paycheck, although I recognize that I might feel differently if following my passion led me to homelessness rather than my dream job of being a science professor at a great university.
i like this post. people do have a tendency to tailor their preferences for their own unique circumstances. in the end, the most important thing is personal contentedness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 AM

30,888 posts, read 36,926,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Actually I think there is but I think it's two other things, one on both sides of the coin.

1) Seems like we are more "showy" now. Especially with the uber rich, they use to quietly donate and support stuff. Now everyone seems to want "acknowledgment" for every thing.

and on the other side...

2) This expectation that you have to help in a manner I see befitting. Remember a while back when Oprah was the first to give away a new car to her audience. lol, she got a lot of criticism because it was only a "ford" and she could afford to give away luxury cars. WTH?? I live in Philly and they just instituted a new tax on sugar drinks. soda, gatoraide, propel, any thing with sugar added. 1.4 cent an ounce. it supposedly goes to paying for pre-k for the poor. of course there was a huge controversy and it's still in the courts but I remember a women saying to me, "what's the problem, you can afford it". oh ok, so because I can afford it that means I want my taxes to go up?? but there is this "expectation" that because the wealthy have money they can pay more and it not affect them.
+1. Good points on both sides of the coin.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:23 PM

24,554 posts, read 18,207,937 times
Quote:
Actually I think there is but I think it's two other things, one on both sides of the coin.

1) Seems like we are more "showy" now. Especially with the uber rich, they use to quietly donate and support stuff. Now everyone seems to want "acknowledgment" for every thing.
Have you ever been to Newport, RI? That string of mansions that line the cliff walk? I think you have very revisionist history. Truly wealthy people have been flaunting it forever. For every Andrew Carnegie who gave it all away, you have 100 people who passed it on to their offspring carving out only a small slice of their wealth to philanthropy.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Have you ever been to Newport, RI? That string of mansions that line the cliff walk? I think you have very revisionist history. Truly wealthy people have been flaunting it forever. For every Andrew Carnegie who gave it all away, you have 100 people who passed it on to their offspring carving out only a small slice of their wealth to philanthropy.
Seen the mansions in CA that burn.. I dont shed a tear at all.. now they know how it feels to be homeless and lose everything in flash. But to most will only be a day or 2 before they go and buy the next big house and not worry about what they actually lost.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,655,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Seen the mansions in CA that burn.. I dont shed a tear at all.. now they know how it feels to be homeless and lose everything in flash. But to most will only be a day or 2 before they go and buy the next big house and not worry about what they actually lost.
this built up resentment hurts you a lot more than them. honestly if my house burned down i wouldnt really care much. my homeowners insurance will cover the cost to rebuild and rent while i am rebuilding. the only thing that matters is the lives and health of my family. im sure they wont be buying a new house in only a day or 2. thats ridiculous thinking and comes from impressive ignorance.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,238,163 times
Quote:
Except for the 40 senior citizens who burned to death. I guess they had it coming because they were rich enough to live in Napa and Sonoma. Geez.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:08 PM

20,077 posts, read 8,984,276 times
money buys freedom

Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,557,332 times
Quote:
Wow, just wow.

I guess the people of Houston and Puerto Rico are worthy of compassion because, well their not wealthy.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 10-18-2017 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,238,163 times
Quote:
Wow, just wow.

I guess the people of Houston and Puerto Rico are worthy of compassion because, well their not wealthy.
Scary, isn’t it?

Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 PM

1,064 posts, read 622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Scary, isn’t it?
Yes it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance