Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:13 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times

Advertisements

I incurred medical debt last year that was over $4k, I paid off all that I could, except about $950. The medical office sent the remainder to a collection agency, a really slimy one that was very nasty with me on the phone. No big deal, I expect that collection agencies want to make you feel like a bum to get you to pay. I told them I would pay it as soon as I could and asked for a settlement.

I was told the settled amount would be $800, which I said I could pay, I just need it in writing that that is the agreed upon amount to settle the debt in full. They refused to do this. They said I have to pay it via credit card over the phone. I'm not doing that. I told them I'd send a check right now if they emailed me a confirmation that the bill is paid in full once the check is cashed. They said no.

I don't know what to do. I am willing to pay even the full amount, $950, but obviously I need something in writing. If they cash my check, is that proof? What if they do what they said they were going to do- not cash the check? My credit took a big hit and all I want to do is pay it so I can report to the credit agency some type of proof that it is paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 01:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I incurred medical debt last year that was over $4k, I paid off all that I could as I was out of work, except about $950. The medical office sent the remainder to a collection agency, a really slimy one that was very nasty with me on the phone. No big deal, I expect that collection agencies want to make you feel like a bum to get you to pay. I told them I would pay it as soon as I could and asked for a settlement.

I was told the settled amount would be $800, which I said I could pay, I just need it in writing that that is the agreed upon amount to settle the debt in full. They refused to do this. They said I have to pay it via credit card over the phone. I'm not doing that. I told them I'd send a check right now if they emailed me a confirmation that the bill is paid in full once the check is cashed. They said no.

I don't know what to do. I am willing to pay even the full amount, $950, but obviously I need something in writing. If they cash my check, is that proof? What if they do what they said they were going to do- not cash the check? My credit took a big hit and all I want to do is pay it so I can report to the credit agency some type of proof that it is paid.
I wouldn't send them anything until you get a statement from them in writing as to the entire amount you owe. If they won't give you something in writing, they will likely not consider the amount you pay payment in full regardless of what they said over the phone. If you send them a check or make a credit card payment without this, they will likely consider it to be a partial payment. I wouldn't even send them $950 without a statement of what you owe as I'm guessing there may be interest and/fees added.

Ask for a supervisor and tell them you want something in writing that shows the entire amount they say you owe them.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I wouldn't send them anything until you get a statement from them in writing as to the entire amount you owe. If they won't give you something in writing, they will likely not consider the amount you pay payment in full regardless of what they said over the phone. If you send them a check or make a credit card payment without this, they will likely consider it to be a partial payment. I wouldn't even send them $950 without a statement of what you owe as I'm guessing there may be interest and/fees added.

Ask for a supervisor and tell them you want something in writing that shows the entire amount they say you owe them.
I asked for a supervisor. The guy said his name was Mr. Jones and he was the supervisor

I think they are trying exactly what you said- if I pay it in full, they will say I owe fees or interest. How can this be legal? What if they come back and say I owe them $1500? Or $2000? Isn't this extortion? They said they refuse to send me anything by mail, stating that they want payment quicker than the mail could reach me. And they won't email it.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:38 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Try talking to the medical office, if you pay them in full it may end it. Just a guess.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=debt...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 10-16-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Try talking to the medical office, if you pay them in full it may end it. Just a guess.
They refuse to accept payment. They said they sold the debt to the collection company and paying them won't settle my debt.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:57 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,716 times
I would make the offer again to another "mr. jones" and if they refuse, tell them you will not pay a cent and then call back in a few months/years and settle.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I asked for a supervisor. The guy said his name was Mr. Jones and he was the supervisor

I think they are trying exactly what you said- if I pay it in full, they will say I owe fees or interest. How can this be legal? What if they come back and say I owe them $1500? Or $2000? Isn't this extortion? They said they refuse to send me anything by mail, stating that they want payment quicker than the mail could reach me. And they won't email it.
It sounds really shady since they won't give you the entire amount. I don't think it's extortion if under the terms of the original obligation, interest and fees were able to be accrued upon nonpayment. Have you told them you're not paying anything until you get the amount owed in writing?

If they won't do that then your options are to hire an attorney to straighten it out or ignore it for the time being.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:31 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Heck record it, last time i check, if they denied payment, its consider paid in full. But as i research my own stupidity, i come across this.. Hope it helps.

https://www.fair-debt-collection.com...t-refusal.html

Old 10-17-2017, 07:18 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
Wow Vintage, that's a really sketchy debt collector you're having to deal with. I imagine if you paid the balance in full via check and they deposit it, that would be proof that your balance is paid in full. Definitely do what the other person recommended and record all your calls in case they want to continue being shady and try to get more money out of you.

I know it's a relatively small amount of debt at this point, but you could always contact an attorney and see what your legal options are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance