Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:33 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times

Advertisements

If you can show me the market investment that pays 8%/mo for 15 years I'm in!

Expected long term stock gains on US large stocks for the future is expected to be around 6% according to WSJ, inflation is clocked at 2.5% & fees would be in the neighborhood of .5% So you are at about a real gain of 3% before any taxes are figured into the mix. And don't forget that the market is volatile & it's possible that you may need the money during an extended down period such as we experienced around 2000 when so many of us thought we would retire early with all of our genius purchases of AOL stock, etc...

What are the chances that a market that has seen upward growth for 8 1/2 years will revert to the mean pretty soon? Paying off a mortgage early can be a good thing because it is an immediate return, stocks are good long term but short term can be risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:37 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,604 times
8% in the market is pie in the sky. The sage investor doesn't assume more than a 2% net real rate of return.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Best comment I've heard is that you should listen to DR if your net worth is less than zero. I disagree with his investment advice and couldn't care less about his nor anyone else's religious views so long as noone try's to force them on others nor myself.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I was asking if one paid off a mortgage in 30 years instead of 15 and took the difference between the two payments and invested it at 8%+ each month for 15 years would they be money ahead? Assuming they were paying 4% on the mortgage and could earn double that in the market.
I assume you mean invest the difference in payments each month in investments that return 8%+ per year? If I'm wrong please direct me toward this investment that returns 96%+ annually.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:33 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
If you can show me the market investment that pays 8%/mo for 15 years I'm in!
Do you not ever research mutual funds on Morningstar.com? Now, if you're looking for a bank account or some other guaranteeed investment, then no. You're not going to find that. Guaranteed and safe investments are low return, by definition. The risk with this is they won't even keep up with the rate of inflation. Trailing the inflation rate by 1% really adds up over a 15 year period. Just off the top of my head, here are some mutual funds with trailing 15 year returns at or above 8%.

Parnassus Core Equity: 10.05%
Vanguard Equity Income: 10.05%
Mairs & Power Growth: 10.02%
Fideltiy Contrafund: 11.63%
Vanguard Wellington: 9.01%
Mairs & Power Balanced: 8.61%
Amana Income: 11.54%
Amana Growth: 12.27%
Vanguard S&P 500 Index: 9.38%

And here are few conservative allocation funds that are sub 8% but come pretty close:

Vanguard Wellesley Income: 7.30%
Berwyn Income: 7.21%

Quote:
Expected long term stock gains on US large stocks for the future is expected to be around 6% according to WSJ
Just because they make a projection, doesn't mean they are correct. The truth is no one knows. The long term returns of the stock market since 1926 is 9% to 10%. And typically the WSJ is only looking out a decade. I would generally agree that 6% is all we're going to get for the next decade. I projected out 30 and 40 years in my post on this subject. Time periods that long usually come very close to the long term stock market average of 9% to 10%. I guarantee you the WSJ didn't project 30 or 40 years out.

Quote:
, inflation is clocked at 2.5% & fees would be in the neighborhood of .5% So you are at about a real gain of 3% before any taxes are figured into the mix. And don't forget that the market is volatile & it's possible that you may need the money during an extended down period such as we experienced around 2000 when so many of us thought we would retire early with all of our genius purchases of AOL stock, etc...
You put the money in a retirement account. You have at least 3-6 months' worth of money put away in cash so that you don't need to dip into your stock investments. This is basic Dave Ramsey stuff. If you have money in taxable accounts, put it in index funds for tax efficiency. Mairs & Power Growth also has very low turnover and is very tax efficient. Oh, and the returns published for mutual funds are always net of all fees.. Inflation is there no matter what you invest in. As I said, my assumptions were fairly conservative. I assumed no increases in salary or in the amount saved and no 401k matches.

Bottom line: It's a whole lot better to have $2.1 Million (or even $1M) even if it's in dollars with less purchasing power than to have NOTHING, which is what you'll have if you do nothing.

Quote:
What are the chances that a market that has seen upward growth for 8 1/2 years will revert to the mean pretty soon? Paying off a mortgage early can be a good thing because it is an immediate return, stocks are good long term but short term can be risky.
So you put money in stocks for the long run and you get a 15 year mortgage like Ramsey recommends. I don't know if the market will go up or down. That's why I always recommend balanced funds like Vanguard Wellington. They soften the blow in a market downturn.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 11-06-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-06-2017, 04:03 PM

270 posts, read 203,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Ramsey is not a very good financial advisor overall. He serves a specific subset of population that has a huge problem with debt. He's a good guy to motivate people to get out of debt. Past that...he's basically a christian preacher.

he says it in one of his videos...that he is infact a christian preacher first the foremost...then he adds in financial advice....IIRC.

And of course, predictably, he subscribes to the prosperity gospel and lives in a massive mansion.

He certainly a great marketer though. Capturing the large christian audience in the US as well as those who have debt. As he makes the circuit at different churches around the country. He's certainly very well off financially himself and for his family
True, I never quite thought of it that way. I just ignore all the christian stuff. I will say when I had student loan debt I listened to his show frequently. I liked hearing the random questions and the debt from screams, now I almost never listen to his show. He has too many random personalities and I don't care to listen to them. smh I especially hate listening to his daughter ...you were born into wealth and you work for your dad.
That's just not a person I want to take advice from. I much prefer he answer more questions than give the random people hour segments on the show. Either way I don't listen to him much anymore.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:18 PM

146 posts, read 100,661 times
I don't get the so many followers looking for a leader thing.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Best comment I've heard is that you should listen to DR if your net worth is less than zero. I disagree with his investment advice and couldn't care less about his nor anyone else's religious views so long as noone try's to force them on others nor myself.
I agree once you're out of debt. Listening to Dave Ramsey is more for entertainment rather than help with your finances. I like Dave Ramsey and I agree with a good percent of what he say's mostly pertaining to debt. But I understand some times debt is necessary for some people. I'm not sure everyone is capable of paying for college. If you're parents don't save for it and you don't get scholarships, then you can't go if you don't take on debt. I don't expect a 18 year old to have thousands of dollars to pay for an education. Granted I think the money should be paid back as soon as possible. but some things he says are not realistic for everyone. but I think people should spend the time learning different view points of dealing with finances. Then come up with their own method for handling their finances based on what they've learned.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Percent Off View Post
I don't get the so many followers looking for a leader thing.
I don't think people are looking for a leader when they listen to Dave Ramsey. I think there just looking for a good source of information.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:37 PM

997 posts, read 849,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Most of these "net worth less than zero" types won't be able to tell the good advice from the bad. There just as likely to head down south to go to counseling sessions (more debt) and other sales pitches than they are getting out of debt. Of course he doesn't put those people on the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance