Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 01:18 PM

181 posts, read 444,716 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 30 and opened a policy only a year ago after my daughter was born. I opened a policy of 400K with monthly premiums of 125 a month. I probably could've done just 300K to cover the house and then some, but....I didn't. At the time of talking to the agent, I was convinced whole was the way to go, and so I picked it. A year later, I get a statement in the mail that says my "coverage" is guaranteed until age 62. But my coverage COULD last until 79 base based on non-guaranteed assumptions....

To me it seems better to do term life insurance and pay a fraction of what I'm paying down. The rest can be invested somewhere else.

I just don't want to croak at 65 when I could possibly still need to work and run the risk of not benefiting from the insurance policy. Had a friend whose grandfather cancelled (why??) his life insurance policy, died 2 years later at 74, and because he was supporting his wife and some of his children, the house he took a second mortgage out on had to be sold >_>

What are your thoughts on this policy I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 01:26 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Don't mix insurance and investing. Your instinct to get a term policy and invest the premium difference is a sound one.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:32 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,633 times
Price out a Term Policy and apply. Once it is in place cancel the whole life.

I got term insurance at 37. $1M @$63 a month. I am a healthy non smoker.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:11 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
The OP just made an insurance agent very happy since they collect enormous commission dollars on that kind of policy.

If it's offered in your state, savings bank life insurance tends to be the best deal in term insurance. $400K is an absurdly low policy unless your spouse has a good, high-paying job or at least has the education and job skills to obtain a good, high-paying job.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
I'm almost 30 and opened a policy only a year ago after my daughter was born. I opened a policy of 400K with monthly premiums of 125 a month. I probably could've done just 300K to cover the house and then some, but....I didn't. At the time of talking to the agent, I was convinced whole was the way to go, and so I picked it. A year later, I get a statement in the mail that says my "coverage" is guaranteed until age 62. But my coverage COULD last until 79 base based on non-guaranteed assumptions....

To me it seems better to do term life insurance and pay a fraction of what I'm paying down. The rest can be invested somewhere else.

I just don't want to croak at 65 when I could possibly still need to work and run the risk of not benefiting from the insurance policy. Had a friend whose grandfather cancelled (why??) his life insurance policy, died 2 years later at 74, and because he was supporting his wife and some of his children, the house he took a second mortgage out on had to be sold >_>

I have a 15 year term 500k for $29 a month. I was 32 when I got it

Old 11-15-2017, 05:20 PM

462 posts, read 1,209,915 times
To me, it doesn't sound like you have whole life. Sounds more like universal life. With whole life, premium is usually quoted to get you coverage through age 100. Universal life coverage length is determined by how much you pay vs how much the company is charging you for the insurance and the crediting interest rate.... under current environment conditions and guaranteed conditions.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:31 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Quote:

Do what YOU thought and get term, with renewable at term end.

Dump the policy you got a year ago after you get your term in place.

Yes it's a ripoff. Yes the agent makes $$$$$$ on your policy, that's why they wrangled you into it.

I got wrangled into one at age 23, and didn't even need life insurance. 5 years later, after a $400/yr premium, the policy was worth like $10, not even kidding.

Then the company went bankrupt, the policy was absorbed by anotger insurance company at $0 worth, higher premium as I had aged, and start all over again. I said take a hike.

Never again with either whole life or universal life. I should get a new policy but I've aged a LOT since that while life policy and it's rather expensive for term for me now as I'm also disabled with a heart condition.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Do what YOU thought and get term, with renewable at term end.

Dump the policy you got a year ago after you get your term in place.

Yes it's a ripoff. Yes the agent makes $$$$$$ on your policy, that's why they wrangled you into it.

I got wrangled into one at age 23, and didn't even need life insurance. 5 years later, after a $400/yr premium, the policy was worth like $10, not even kidding.

Then the company went bankrupt, the policy was absorbed by anotger insurance company at $0 worth, higher premium as I had aged, and start all over again. I said take a hike.

Never again with either whole life or universal life. I should get a new policy but I've aged a LOT since that while life policy and it's rather expensive for term for me now as I'm also disabled with a heart condition.

With special attention paid to the bold...

Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:

i have 2 20 year term life policies. i got them both in my early 30's.

$3 million - $102.70/month
$1 million - $38.69/month

i feel that the 20 year will cover enough time for me to accumulate enough to cover any issues for my family. so far, so good. you need to make that call on your own. i definitely feel choosing term is better than whole.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
You didn't get "ripped off" per se, you just didn't buy the most optimal coverage for your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance