Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times

Advertisements

Yes, OP.

The Roth 401k is a work sponsored plan.
The Roth IRA is your own account.

-- both are after taxes
-- BUT there are different income -- and contribution limits
-- you can put a lot more in the work sponsored Roth 401k
(however depending on your income you'd be putting just as much in your own Roth anyway so the contribution limits may not be an issue)

-- AND company match, however, MUST go into the Trad 401k (so even if YOU put YOUR contributions into the Roth side of the 401k, you will end up with TWO kinds of balances in the Roth, both pre and post tax.
-- and of course work plan 401k investment options are more limited than, where you might choose to put your own Roth IRA

-- The Roth 401k is subject to 401k rules regarding, required minimum distributions (RMDs) at 70 1/2
-- YOUR Roth IRA, once the money is in there are no RMDs.
-- In any/either case Roth withdrawals don't count as income for MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) for federal tax purposes where as Trad 401k withdrawals DO count as income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yes, OP.

The Roth 401k is a work sponsored plan.
The Roth IRA is your own account.

-- both are after taxes
-- BUT there are different income -- and contribution limits
-- you can put a lot more in the work sponsored Roth 401k
(however depending on your income you'd be putting just as much in your own Roth anyway so the contribution limits may not be an issue)

-- AND company match, however, MUST go into the Trad 401k (so even if YOU put YOUR contributions into the Roth side of the 401k, you will end up with TWO kinds of balances in the Roth, both pre and post tax.
-- and of course work plan 401k investment options are more limited than, where you might choose to put your own Roth IRA

-- The Roth 401k is subject to 401k rules regarding, required minimum distributions (RMDs) at 70 1/2
-- YOUR Roth IRA, once the money is in there are no RMDs.
-- In any/either case Roth withdrawals don't count as income for MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) for federal tax purposes where as Trad 401k withdrawals DO count as income

I don't really see where this should be an issue, if you are still working for the company sponsoring the plan it doesn't apply I don't think and if you are no longer working for the company you simply roll it over to a Roth IRA and avoid the issue

Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't really see where this should be an issue, if you are still working for the company sponsoring the plan it doesn't apply I don't think and if you are no longer working for the company you simply roll it over to a Roth IRA and avoid the issue
RMDs matter a lot when you're 70 1/2 and doing tax planning. For a lot of people with current tax law, they get nailed by the "tax torpedo" where their required minimum distribution from their tax-deferred savings makes their Social Security check taxable. It can also increase your means-tested Medicare premium. With the tax law in flux, it's hard to plan for it. It's pretty likely that having some Roth will help.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:38 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
RMDs matter a lot when you're 70 1/2 and doing tax planning. For a lot of people with current tax law, they get nailed by the "tax torpedo" where their required minimum distribution from their tax-deferred savings makes their Social Security check taxable. It can also increase your means-tested Medicare premium. With the tax law in flux, it's hard to plan for it. It's pretty likely that having some Roth will help.
Try reading it again as I was discussing RMDs with Roth 401k so your entire post is off base

Old 11-28-2017, 04:08 PM

436 posts, read 302,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
If you are already maxing the match and have money left over to invest, look into bumping up your HSA contributions, preferably to the max. HSA contributions made directly from payroll are not subject to payroll taxes or income taxes. Your HSA account may have investment options.
Good thinking. I planned to deposit $1700 by Nov 30th to my HSA since I do not have an HDHP beyond Nov 30th or Dec 30th. Not exactly sure when.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 PM

10 posts, read 5,871 times
I just dump as much as I can into my 401k. Less that gets taxed the better imo.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:35 AM

436 posts, read 302,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverymanInvesting View Post
I just dump as much as I can into my 401k. Less that gets taxed the better imo.
my 401k has high fees which cannot be offset by the earnings of S&P500 and riskier stocks aren't an option. My HSA has no fees whatsoever and $$ grows. Just wanted to add that tidbit in case you have a high deductible health plan or didn't know it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance