Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 05:51 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee712 View Post
115 Months 4 Weeks 13hours 47minutes and 14seconds
Wazee:

This counting down, anger, and bitterness is doing nothing to your STBX, but it is certainly tearing you up inside. Try to let it go and to focus on re-building your life.

I am a woman (I mention that only because some people think the system is rigged in favor of women). At the time I divorced my ex for his infidelity,we had also been married twenty-two years. We had two children. I made more than he, so I paid both spousal support and child support. He got the house, furniture, and all but $10,000. That money was for me to rent and furnish an apartment with a little left over for an emergency fund.

My ex immediately married his girlfriend and she and her numerous children moved into the house with him, so most of what I paid went more to supporting them than it was used for our children. So I also ended up not only teaching them to drive, but helping them to get their first vehicles. I helped them with trade school and college. As a parent, I saw that my children had what they needed, whether or not it was “fair.” It seems that you also do this, for which I commend you.

The funny thing about the whole business was that my parents, his parents, and he himself had all tried to pressure me into becoming a stay-at-home spouse. I resisted that and continued to work and further my education. I am glad I did. I remain convinced that it is better to be the person capable of earning more, even if it means having to pay for a few years, than it is to be the person who doesn't have the ability to earn much.

For the next couple years, I worked extra—a lot extra. I channeled my energy into re-building my financial situation. Was it “fair” I had to do this? No. But that was the reality of the situation. It wasn’t “fair” in my opinion that my father helped the boys with college but not the girls, either, but it was his money and that was just the way it was. It made things more difficult but didn’t stop me.

The whole point here is that I re-built. I have been comfortably retired more than four years now. He is nearly seventy years old and still working because he can’t afford to retire. I hope you will be able to channel your anger into improving your financial picture as well. It seems you have the capability.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Gusano; 04-07-2018 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: I can’t believe I made so many typos.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:28 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
I agree with the poster above. You have to move on. It is not about it being fair. I am a high earner male and I know if I had to divorce my wife I would be toast, financially.

Look at it as a car payment or cable bill. You just have to pay it. If you attach too many emotions to it, you are just shortening your own life and making it even more miserable.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:47 PM

45 posts, read 69,929 times
i guess yoru right but even with a car payment or cable bill you get to enjoy it

Old 04-07-2018, 04:49 PM

maybe its not anger but just total disbelief
but your right I need to channel my anger into something else
maybe I will take up motorcycling or something to clear my head

Old 04-07-2018, 05:24 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
More like acrimony.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 AM

672 posts, read 442,918 times
I feel for you. I got divorced in WA state. For every division of assets they had an angle that favored my spouse, she's older than you, you have more earning years, bla bla bla. Lets see your will. Oh looky there, there's old school verbiage that entitles her to a portion of property since you were born. Am I bitter? He'll yes. It was totally one sided. But like everyone says you have to move on. I was able to. You will too. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:20 AM

One year 7 months 2 weeks 4 days later and Eight years 4 months 1 week 4 days to go. What have a experienced so far in this nightmare? Pure frustration and disbelief that I am paying $3600 per month alimony for a grown woman who is employed. Based off my gross income and not my net income after taxes and deductions, I am basically facing a financial ruin. I don't understand the logic of serving me with a crippling permanent order only to give my ex a better way of life. I don't understand how a person who receives this monthly award can't care about their daughter who is in college and instead vacations regularly.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:48 PM

Default 19 Months Later

One year 7 months 2 weeks 4 days later and Eight years 4 months 1 week 4 days to go. What have a experienced so far in this nightmare? Pure frustration and disbelief that I am paying $3600 per month alimony for a grown woman who is employed. Based off my gross income and not my net income after taxes and deductions, I am basically facing a financial ruin. I don't understand the logic of serving me with a crippling permanent order only to give my ex a better way of life. I don't understand how a person who receives this monthly award can't care about their daughter who is in college and instead vacations regularly.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:09 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee712 View Post
You obviously need some help dealing with your anger. Counseling would do more than resurrecting this sad thread over and over again.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:22 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Good luck! It shows her true character if she's willing to go after so much of your assets without a reasonable compromise. For me it would probably lead to a murder suicide if someone I love broke my heart and then demanded that much of my assets and wouldn't come to a reasonable compromise. Then again I'm also one of them who thinks people who embezzle and scam people out of their money should get life prison sentences instead of the slap on the wrist they get now. I have low tolerance for scammers and people who have unreasonable demands of things they don't deserve, and people who steal especially if it's repeat offenses. I guess I better be careful who I marry if I ever do if I want to live a long life. Too many people get away with unethical behavior in our society without repercussion. It's up to the individuals in question to be their own moral authority, in my opinion.
I think her true character was shown years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance