Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:49 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Why anyone would use a bank instead of Credit Union is a mystery. I haven't used a bank in close to 30 years. In all my years with Credit Unions, I don't recall ever paying a single red cent. For anything. Obviously, if I took out a loan or bounced a check, there would be a fee, but there is no fee for just parking my money there as I use it throughout the month until my next deposit. I use Square for the occasional charged quilt I sell and Square skims a tiny bit off the top, but the Credit Union certainly doesn't charge. For anything.
Your experience with credit unions is no different than my experience with Chase. I do have secondary banking through my investment firm as a backup but I'd have that no matter who my primary was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Why anyone would use a bank instead of Credit Union is a mystery. I haven't used a bank in close to 30 years. In all my years with Credit Unions, I don't recall ever paying a single red cent. For anything. Obviously, if I took out a loan or bounced a check, there would be a fee, but there is no fee for just parking my money there as I use it throughout the month until my next deposit. I use Square for the occasional charged quilt I sell and Square skims a tiny bit off the top, but the Credit Union certainly doesn't charge. For anything.
I use both! There is a time and a place and a situation where one is better than the other.

1.) You own a business: You don't want to intermingle business and personal funds, your credit union will not issue you a second account for business use.

2.) If you have no business I can't imagine why you're in a wimpy credit union My CU debit and Visa card are good everywhere. I just opened a trading account. My CU charges $14.95, eTrade is about $7-$8. Yeah, I'm not a day trader. I bought a stock today (AMZN) and I plan to hold the stock for many years.

3.) Credit unions usually offer lower interest rates for loans, and higher interest rates for deposits.

4.) Verify the size and stability of your credit union before joining, including availability of branches. Mine has branches all over!

I'm looking foward to the day I can cancel all my biz accounts and just have the CE.

Note: You should carry at least two credit cards from different institutions to cover the possibility of single point failure.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:55 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I transferred my money to an online savings account when the "high-yield" account I had at my local bank, which was supposed to give you a decent interest rate for a brick-and-mortar if you also had your checking account there, basically became nothing. I'm saving for a d/p on wherever my next place would be, so I leave it in the online bank for now. I think it's 1.29% the last I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've found Amazon to be more expensive on a number of purchases lately over the past six months to year. Oftentimes the big box stores will beat them on price for just about everything. Even with their measly 5% cash back.
I always comparison shop and camelcamelcamel helps.

Quote:
I've never paid a fee to a bank and I've never had an account at a credit union. I've never paid one to a CC either. I've made lots of money off of my CCs. The one CU in my area actually moved way out of the way and now my neighborhood doesn't have one.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 AM

I have a few more hints for y'all:

13 Banks Offering Free Checking With No Minimum Balance

If I didn't have a solution I'd advise checking out: https://www.ally.com

Ally is a cloud bank. Exactly the same as any other bank except they got rid of the tellers, and as long as there weren't any tellers they got rid of the brick and mortar too.

Use ATMs to make deposits or get cash. Best idea is to use direct deposit your paycheck. Or not, whatever. Get the app for your cell. You can deposit checks with your cell app. (Quite amusing.) Use your debit card to buy stuff. Get a credit card if you want. Amazon Visa is the best credit card or so I say.

None of this costs any annual fee. Personally I think brick and mortar are over-rated. You don't need 'em. I picked US Bank on a whim, mainly because I was getting groceries and there they were, so I asked about free accounts and here I am now.

If you feel guilty about accepting a free checking account, just mail in some cash to their headquarters and tell them it's a donation.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:23 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
You can easily find a bank out there with no fees! I'm with Chase and pay nothing, but we do have direct deposit. Many years ago I used to work for BofA, but when I quit my accounts went elsewhere!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You can easily find a bank out there with no fees! I'm with Chase and pay nothing, but we do have direct deposit. Many years ago I used to work for BofA, but when I quit my accounts went elsewhere!
With BoA you'd pay no fees with direct deposit either.

They are all pretty much the same. And the perks you get as a higher tiered client are a lot nicer at the bigger banks.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:59 PM

My point in starting this topic is that there are many banks that have FREE accounts with NO conditions, or very lenient conditions. I posted a link earlier in the topic.

US Bank gave me a free checking account because I'm a senior citizen. B of A could do that if the wanted, but they didn't. So fine they lost me as a customer and I'll bet a lot of other customers will be departing soon too!

Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
This shows that banking is still competitive. Not an oligopoly like the airlines where if one adds fees (bag checking for example) the others follow suit. Take advantage.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:19 AM

Oh God, don't get me started on airlines and their a la carte pick your pockets new business practices!

Another point I wanted to make is that in a free market we are consumers and we should seek the best deals we can find. That is what consumerism is all about.

Don't let a bank sucker you. Walk. Find a bank with a better deal and take your business there. That teaches corporations/businesses that they have to remain competitive to retain your business.

Any time you are not happy with your deal, vote with your feet!

Remember that we consumers are human beings. Corporations are blood sucking monsters. I have absolutely no sympathy for corporations, particularly stupid corporations.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
My point in starting this topic is that there are many banks that have FREE accounts with NO conditions, or very lenient conditions. I posted a link earlier in the topic.

US Bank gave me a free checking account because I'm a senior citizen. B of A could do that if the wanted, but they didn't. So fine they lost me as a customer and I'll bet a lot of other customers will be departing soon too!
Typcially a company say BofA would attempt to estimate the loss of client vs the possible revenue pickup and if they moved forward rightly or wrongly determined the move was in their best interest. Despite what you may feel you didn't get one over on them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance