Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:26 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times

Advertisements

i would never pay a bank fee and hate boa.
with that said they don't owe anybody anything. they have every right to charge customers whatever fees they want and you have every right to take your business elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 06:46 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i never paid a bank a fee for anything except a bigger safety deposit box than we get free with our account. but we have got lots of cash bonus's , credit card perks and points from chase .
the nice thing about some of these higher end bank accounts is you can let them baby sit stocks and funds at no cost to you that are sitting in brokerage accounts anyway and reap the benefits and perks of the higher level accounts .

we did that with chase when we took our etf's out of vanguard for poor service and bad policies . we did a simple acat transfer to chase and got all the benefits of a private client account

Old 02-24-2018, 12:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I do now pay some fees... never did before.

I have to pay when I order checks... can print my own but still need to pay someone.

I also had to pay for an international wire... there was a time when many banks around here were clueless... never a problem for B of A... maybe had to do it 3 times...

Since they started charging for bank checks... I simply request the cash... have not paid for a bank check yet.

The old days of free photocopies, the community room with always snacks on hand, donations to local youth sports etc... really no longer exist in the places they once did.

Banks also had leeway when looking for new money... it was nice to get a call... I mentioned it has been a few years and was told they no longer do this...

They also have removed the kiosks that prominently displayed their deposit rates...

Old 02-24-2018, 12:10 PM

we don't even pay for wires with chase

Old 02-24-2018, 12:13 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Good to know... never a fee for domestic... but always a fee for International ;-(

Old 02-24-2018, 12:25 PM

we don't pay for international wires either , nor bounced checks if it happens.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/all...rivate-client/

Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I also use US Bank... had lifetime free checking... but that seems to have gone away... each time they would make a change I would have to go in with my paperwork and the manager would have to put in a special request... did that 3 times over the years... finally they won... it just was not worth the effort to have them make good on THEIR promise of lifetime free checking which also included checks!
Don't despair, 'Runner, your US Bank lifetime free checking is back, or will be back. Sr. citizens get free checking accounts, so do vets. Of course I don't know if they'll withdraw that offer some day. My prognostic abilities seem to be restricted to the stock market. It will open "up" today.

This is the second time I've abandoned B of A forever. I should have listened to myself after the first time, in the '70s. I forgot why I opened an account this time. I think it was after my mother died and she had a CD of significant value for my sister and I to share (in a trust) and I did it to facilitate the transfer of my half when the CD matured. They were even kind of nasty then because in most cases banks will cash out CDs when the owner dies. B of A said they'd do it and then later they decided they wouldn't. We had to wait about a year for the CD to cash out. For me B of A has always been a difficult bank to deal with.

Quote:
I do love my Credit Union and...
I like my credit union too. I have pretty much everything there except my business account at a commercial bank. I have the usual savings (required at most credit unions, that is where you keep your dollar "investment" as a shareholder in the union), checking, money market, overdraft protection loan (never used), credit card (they won't meet the industry standard 1% cash back), home and auto insurance, S&P 500 annuity (via partner company), stock trading account (again via partner company). I've been a member over 50 years since a summer job in the '60s where membership was one of the job benefits. At the time they were just checking, savings, loans. I guess that dollar in my savings account is a '65 or '66 dollar. I've never paid a penny in fees except the few times I used my overdraft protection to float for a few days. I guess I paid a few dollars interest once when I wrote the wrong amount to pay off my credit card. I've always paid off my credit cards each month except for this one mistake. Oh, and I've never paid anything for bank checks. I guess if I had to pin down a number I may have paid perhaps $10 or $15 in fees. That's not much for 50 years of banking with them, watching them grow until they have almost every financial service they could have.

The only reason I have a commercial account at another bank is because I want to keep my business money separate from my personal money. I get a free checking account there because I'm a landlord and my sole remaining rental mortgage is there. When I sell the house next year and permanently leave the ranks of landlords I'll close that account which would not be free without the mortgage that qualifies me for a free account, but would have no reason to exist since I won't have a business then.

Over the years I've tried to convince friends to join my credit union just because it's such a good deal but so far none have taken my advice. I would get a reward ($200?) if I got somebody to join but I'd still recommend them without the reward. In fact I think the reward was a recent development, after I had been recommending them for years.

I had been using my B of A account to anchor my PayPal account. I called it a "piggy bank" account, and with PayPal being kind of "iffy" I prefer to not have an agreement with them that allows them to dip into an account (my CU) with substantial funds. US Bank now serves that duty, I keep a few hundred in there and use their ATM card to gas my car. Funny, PayPal never checks to see if your anchor bank account is still there. I'll switch PayPal to US Bank if I need to transfer funds to/from PayPal. As an eBay seller I usually have enough input to PayPal to support my infrequent purchases via PayPal.

Quote:
I know the times are a changing... there is still one 30+ career teller at my local BofA who is as sharp as they get... she was really sad when she said she had to charge for Bank Check... they had always been free... I said not to worry... just give me the $8500 in cash... somehow they were able to waive the fee???
That reminds me, I know all the important people at my local CU branch by first name and about half of the tellers. Last December when I got the hots to open my trading account I wanted to get in the market RIGHT NOW! It usually takes a few days to mail in your signed agreement and get your trading account funded. I hand carried my application to my local branch (well I could have, it's 10 minutes by car even if school is just letting out), so I asked the manager to put my application in their overnight courier to the main office and I had my trading account open before close of business the next day and funded the day after.

That was the day I bought a whole bunch of AMZN! That's what I had the hots for! I'm up over 20% since early December on my Amazon stock! If you ignore the fact of "unrealized profits" and pretended it was some sort of interest bearing account that's about 80% APR. I'm VERY happy with Amazon!

I'm also very happy to have rid myself of 3 rentals and the last one scheduled to go on the market January 2nd, 2019. My last tenant is a very nice woman who hasn't mastered the concept of personal finances yet. She makes her rent due date about 50% of the time, bounced only two, maybe three rent checks on me. I usually ignore a few days late. I was kind enough to give her a January due date of the 10th and she paid on the 16th, still hasn't paid me 6 days late fees. If she were better at personal finance I would expect she would figure out she's moving on November 30th (when her lease expires) but I bet she's clueless. I'll offer to give her a sweetheart deal to buy the house instead of moving but my bet is that she won't be able to scare up a loan. Not if she's used her financial acumen on others like she's used it on me. Nope, that house will go on the market on the 2nd and will close escrow in February. And I'll celebrate the end of my landlord career and close my commercial bank account which will no longer be free without the rental mortgage.

And then I'll have all my funds at one institution, my beloved credit union! Well except for my piggy bank account at US Bank.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
People sticking up for the banks are the same types of people that would be someone's girlfriend in prison.'

——— snip ———

The **** is wrong with people??? Seriously, WTF??? Are we seriously having a CJ about how much we love this bank???

We'll see what people are saying about BoA a year from now. I suspect they won't be as happy.
You and 'Runner and a few others get my OP. I was blown away by the posts from people who appear to be loyal to B of A. Seriously, loyal to your bank? That's not the way things are supposed to work. Your bank is supposed to be loyal to YOU.

Who's your daddy? For me it sure as hell isn't Bank of America! At least my credit union has been loyal to ME. US Bank has been friendly and has performed flawlessly for me since I moved there from B of A when they dumped free accounts, and I collected the free $150 or whatever my OP says, my incentive to open an account at US Bank.

Truth be known, some of the replies to this topic (and others at CD) inspired me to quit visiting CD because of the many terminally stupid forum members and the stupid replies they post. I just returned today to amuse myself and see if I had any subscribed topics with replies.

This is a dog eat dog world. In your banking relationships you have a choice to make: are you going to be the eater or the eatee? In my personal finance my only relationships are the ones that benefit ME. To hell with whether it benefits the financial institution. They will get along fine without me if they don't treat me right. I'll get along better without predatory banks.

My advice to everybody is to find a good credit union and make that your primary financial anchor. If you can't find a good credit union near you then either you live out in the stix or your personal financial skills are compromised.

By the way Jobster, it pleases me to have people like you and 'Runner on the forum, people who get it, people who make quality posts. Um... Does CJ stand for what I think it stands for? If so I'm LMAO! That is exactly what the B of A sycophants are doing!

I'll be back in a few more months to see if the CD collective member intelligence has improved during my next hiatus. Knowing people, probably not.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we have been very happy with chase . lots of good perks from their private banking account they gave us just for baby sitting my etf for free , and thousands of dollars in reward points which we will use for travel .
Short post, smart person. No comment on the grammar.

I have my commercial relationship with Chase. I opened my account there when I bought my first rental property, the mortgage qualifying me for a free checking account. I also got my business Visa card there. They have treated me well. I always greet the branch manager by first name, she's always nice to me.

It's an interesting coincidence that I suspect is no coincidence at all that my Amazon Visa card is hosted by Chase. I am totally Amazon with my Amazon Prime, Amazon Music Unlimited, Amazon credit card that gets me 5% cash back at Amazon and WFM (2% at restaurants, 1% everything else) and a serious part of my personal wealth is in AMZN stock.

Amazon doesn't do anything stupid and they picked Chase to partner with for their Amazon credit card.

I would tell anybody that if they qualify for a free account at Chase, go for it! If you want to pay for a checking account Chase is a good choice too, although I fail to see why anybody would want to pay for a checking account.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
i would never pay a bank fee and hate boa.
with that said they don't owe anybody anything. they have every right to charge customers whatever fees they want and you have every right to take your business elsewhere.
B of A has every right to be a sucky bank. I don't do business with sucky banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance