Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:00 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

You don’t get a big tax refund every year, correct?

Could your wife work a few nights a week or weekends part time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 11:08 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Taxes and insurance are typically included when someone mentions their "payment", so I'm assuming that to be true here.
I didn't think of that, but you could be right. But maybe not. Some people pay their property taxes every 6 months.

Quote:
Of course the carrying costs are higher with a bigger house, but again you seem to be assuming it's some McMansion they are living in. We really don't know. It could be a 1400 sf ranch house in an expensive area.

Edit: His profile shows a zip code that's in Thousand Oaks, CA. I don't know anything about the area, but apparently that's where they live.
Thousand Oaks is a nice suburb of L.A. It's upper middle class-ish, but not necessarily McMansion-ish. So not necessarily a huge house. So it appears your were mostly right in your assumptions.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:55 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
OP is a first year pilot for SWA. Thousand Oaks is where a lot of the pilots live in and around LA.

His pay will increase over time going to mid 100's within a few years and stagnating around $180k-$200k for about a decade where it will climb into the mid $200's on the lower end. Still way too much of a mortgage IMO for now but there is hope.

I'm surprised his take home is as much as he stated. First year pay there is generally in the 80's which is a FAR cry from a take home of $8k. I'm thinking that is where the CC dept has come from.

In short a smart move coming from China but it will really hurt his first couple years.

In China the typical pay is $20k-$30k a month, he should have a lot more money saved up than he does. Pilots all know the first year paycut is coming, most plan for it.

Last edited by wheelsup; 12-15-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Well, they’re in big trouble on that pay curve. Maybe there’s another source of income lumped in there? We can only guess

Old 12-15-2017, 02:30 PM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
Quote:
We don't know where the OP lives, so this may or may not be a wealthy area. Regardless, your point is valid. It's tough to downshift one's lifestyle. But that's their reality as I see it. Having $4k/month to spend after making the house payment shouldn't require a poverty lifestyle. Cut out the travel, the restaurants, and any other expensive habits. Drive an old car with no payment and only liability insurance. If his income rebounds as fast as he expects, all of this can be temporary.
He also still has the payments on the CC debt and small children. I don't know what the payment is on 40K of CC debt, but I would think it is spendy. He mentions one car is paid off, but is there any other car debt? He could probably still do it and it will probably be good for them long term. It sounds like there was a spending problem when he made more. No savings other than 401k, 401k balance is pretty low, 40k in CC debt. Getting some good habits now, could improve their savings, as his income increases.

Good Luck. If you have any toys, it might be a good time to sell some stuff to make a dent in the CC.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:03 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
He thinks it will be temporary, yet I wouldn’t count on it until it happens. Plus, he will still be playing catch up.
Good point. The problem a lot of high earners have is they think "there's more where that came from" and that they'll just eventually outearn their financial problems. Sooner or later, almost all of them will hit a wall with that. Earning a lot is great, but you still have to pay attention to the frugality side as well because most people find it easy to spend up to the limit of any income.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:57 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Earning a lot is great, but you still have to pay attention to the frugality side as well because most people find it easy to spend up to the limit of any income.
Especially when a high(ish) income gives you the financial leeway -- to play a little bit, buy some toys, travel -- AND save.
But yeah, you still have to pay attention to those goals or priorities and put them in a reasonable (which is of course subjective) relationship to each other and the money that's being made.

I have to say unless there were some unforeseen medical expenses in there....he sure doesn't have much to show for making all that money. And THAT, in my opinion is a darn shame.

Just let my steady take home pay be even 10K a month -- and see how I won't max out my my 401K, and IRA, and have a year's living expenses saved -- AND be able to have enough disposable income to NOT be 40K in credit card debt.

He may not even be a newlywed (or married less than even 3 years)....but why do I sense money spent on a bigger wedding than needed, a bigger car than needed......we already KNOW they spent too much on the house......

It may not even be the OP's situation and they're not the same person, but the first thing I thought of was a guy in NY/NJ area who posted here about his wife with a Master's Degree, who didn't want to work, but wanted a bigger house....and HE was working himself to death, talking about eating less to help their financial situation. So many guys get a spoiled princess of a wife that just wants, wants wants. And he makes good money that SHOULD be more than enough to really give them a good financial footing...but the spending on "wants" is out of whack.

Like I said, that may NOT be the OP's case but it is just what's come to mind.

You think the OP hasn't come back because he hasn't liked what he's heard? Uhmn....

Old 12-16-2017, 07:25 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
-- to play a little bit, buy some toys, travel -- AND save.
(not that YOU do it, but) Too many put that saving task at the end of the page.
If anything is left over that they can't find a use for... maybe they'll save it.

The saving must come FIRST.
All income from all sources into the SAVINGS account first.
THEN decide what you NEED to take out to cover the budget.

Quote:
You think the OP hasn't come back because he hasn't liked what he's heard? Uhmn....
I cut him some slack. The pile on (advice or preaching) can be brutal if you're at the receiving end.
He's juggling a lot of issues and only some are financial.

I post a lot on the forums but almost never reveal any of my details...
and even less often any of the problems.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:28 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
I don't think the house is the big problem. He said his take home was $12k-$13/month in the old job, and the house payment is $4k. That's 1/3 of his net, so probably around 1/5 of his gross. Right at the moment the ratio is not so good, but he says that will be temporary. The cost of selling, buying, and moving is probably not warranted.
but that ratio is good for banks... not people

the 30% of paycheck for housing is based on qualifying for a 30 year mortgage, why people use it as a "standard" for housing budget makes no sense

oddly, the house payments seem high for 30 year mortgage, did he take it out for a 15 year mortgage? reason why people shouldn't try to save a few percents going 15 year route, gives less flexibility. you don't even save too much, a 30 year mortgage paid off in 15 years is just slightly more in interest payments but has the ability to not pay as much if they hit rough times. refinancing cost would negate any "interest" savings from a 15 year loan to 30 year loan.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
but that ratio is good for banks... not people
Correct.

Quote:
why people use it as a "standard" for housing budget makes no sense
Because it allows them to fool themselves into buying/renting more than they can afford.

It's a pet peeve of mine:
One WEEKLY paycheck should be able to cover all of the MONTHLY housing costs.
12/52's 23% of your NET income and INCLUDING utilities and any other fees that are required.

As you mature and begin to earn more...
you'll have more and more taken out by pre-tax payroll deductions. Right?
The same 12/52's 23% of your NET still applies.
Less if you can manage it (as many do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance