Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 12:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You're getting your thrills with me this morning?

Bug off bully... I ain't got time for that!
:h amd:

...you're not that thrilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 12:09 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,078,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I'm still lost with respect to how someone could save 60% of their gross income, unless maybe it's a kid who is living with parents who are providing free room/board and other things. Maybe one of those Bay Area weirdos living in their car?
Make enough and live way below your means and it's certainly possible. My wife and I save roughly 40% of our gross (~50% of take home) but if we lived in a cheaper house, condo, or apt and went down to one car (or ate out or traveled a lot less) we could certainly be at the 60% level.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:12 PM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I had been 50% of gross for a long time but as my income grows it's dropped to 40% of gross partially because of increased taxes and the other was a conscientious decision to spend more
This. I think most can't do it, because taxes and insurance take up too much of their gross. So gold star if you can FSM.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:27 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
This. I think most can't do it, because taxes and insurance take up too much of their gross. So gold star if you can FSM.
No, I'm not 60% gross. I think we're closer to 50%.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:34 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Make enough and live way below your means and it's certainly possible. My wife and I save roughly 40% of our gross (~50% of take home) but if we lived in a cheaper house, condo, or apt and went down to one car (or ate out or traveled a lot less) we could certainly be at the 60% level.

There is a BIG difference between 40% and 60%. In the past I've had people tell me they had some extremely high savings rate, but when I'd question them on how that was possible it turns out they were including things like rents received, bonuses, employee matches, etc... as savings, but not as income. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that these folks are saving for their future, but if they expect to have a discussion about it they need to include this sort of detail.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-21-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
The more you make the more you can save % wise.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:51 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
There are plenty of folks out there living off 1/2 to 1/3 off their income. They just do not brag about or cut corners off a round table.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:01 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There are plenty of folks out there living off 1/2 to 1/3 off their income. They just do not brag about or cut corners off a round table.

Sure, we live on a little over 1/3 of our gross. In recent years it's been, roughly speaking, equal parts... (1) savings, (2) spending, (3) taxes. We'd have to live on almost nothing in order to save 60% of our gross income.

If one is talking 60% of after-tax income... fine, that's way different.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:06 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
I'm still lost with respect to how someone could save 60% of their gross income, unless maybe it's a kid who is living with parents who are providing free room/board and other things. Maybe one of those Bay Area weirdos living in their car?
Usually extreme savers do it by:

--Earning above average (but not fabulous) incomes. Typically in the top 20%, but not necessarily the top 5%.
--Living in less housing than most people. I.E. They still have roommates even when earning professional level incomes. Or they live in a small apartment/condo when everyone else in their peer group has the single family detached house.
--They have fewer or no kids...or don't have them until they are nearly financially independent.
--They try to live within biking distance of work and other necessities so they can minimize or even eliminate the need for a car. If they must have a car, they drive used economy cars and typically shun long daily commutes to work.
--They don't spend a lot of time or money on cable TV or entertainment. They are more likely to be content creators instead of content consumers.
--They don't spend much eating out, etc. Focus is on cooking healthy meals at home.
--They tend to avoid the highest cost metro areas unless they're in really high paying fields like finance.
--They often have practical skills (sewing, cooking, fixing things around the house), so that they don't have to pay other people to do things for them.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
I saved 30% of my gross for quite a few years with an average income (below average for my area) in a high cost area. I know I could save 60% if I had an above average income. I do many things outlined in my post above. I:

--Live within walking distance to work (but still have a car. Bought a decent used economy car--no gas guzzlers for me).
--Don't have cable TV or other entertainment packages (Netflix). I use the library instead.
--Don't have an expensive cell phone or cell phone package ($35 a month).
--I shop sales at the grocery store (although I do eat out at modestly priced cafes/restaurants about 2X a week.)
--I live in a small apartment (studio, not a 1BR).

The bulk of it is really about keeping housing and transportation costs as low as possible. If you do that and don't go too crazy with the other stuff, you make it much easier to save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance