Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 5,109 times

Advertisements

When I was looking into applying for a loan with them I saw multiple posts like these in forums and was so appreciative of their transparency. I promised myself I would post something of my own if all went well with the capital. Here are the details of my recent loan with LC:

$40,000
Purpose: Home Renovation
Credit: Fair
Income: $30,000
Co-borrower Credit: Good
Co-borrower Income: $75,000

Applied: 12/7
-LC asked for income verification for myself, as well as a phone verification. They asked my co-borrower for a D/L as well as a phone verification.
Kickback: 12/11 (weekend)
-LC asked for notarized D/L from co-borrower
Kickback: 12/13
-LC asked for the D/L to be copied onto the notary before signing it

Status Update: 12/14
-Logged into the online portal and noticed it said the loan was approved and that it may take up to four additional business days to see funds in my account. (No email sent to me directly regarding this).

Status Update: 12/15
-Received an email stating that the loan was approved/up to four more business days for the funds, however I noticed that in the email it specifically stated that the loan was “backed by investors”. My guess is that 12/14 is when the underwriting criteria had been met, but they did not send out an email until it was 100% funded.

Funds Received: 12/18 (weekend)
-The funds were deposited one business day after the email was sent out.

Terms:
Term: 60 Months
Monthly Payment: $848
Interest: 9.93%
Origination Fee: 5% (Which was taken out of the loan, not out-of-pocket. The exact amount wired to my account was $38,000).
Prepayment Penalty: None

I hope this helps someone if not today months down the line! Ciao!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 01:27 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimone8 View Post
When I was looking into applying for a loan with them I saw multiple posts like these in forums and was so appreciative of their transparency. I promised myself I would post something of my own if all went well with the capital. Here are the details of my recent loan with LC:

$40,000
Purpose: Home Renovation
Credit: Fair
Income: $30,000
Co-borrower Credit: Good
Co-borrower Income: $75,000

Applied: 12/7
-LC asked for income verification for myself, as well as a phone verification. They asked my co-borrower for a D/L as well as a phone verification.
Kickback: 12/11 (weekend)
-LC asked for notarized D/L from co-borrower
Kickback: 12/13
-LC asked for the D/L to be copied onto the notary before signing it

Status Update: 12/14
-Logged into the online portal and noticed it said the loan was approved and that it may take up to four additional business days to see funds in my account. (No email sent to me directly regarding this).

Status Update: 12/15
-Received an email stating that the loan was approved/up to four more business days for the funds, however I noticed that in the email it specifically stated that the loan was “backed by investors”. My guess is that 12/14 is when the underwriting criteria had been met, but they did not send out an email until it was 100% funded.

Funds Received: 12/18 (weekend)
-The funds were deposited one business day after the email was sent out.

Terms:
Term: 60 Months
Monthly Payment: $848
Interest: 9.93%
Origination Fee: 5% (Which was taken out of the loan, not out-of-pocket. The exact amount wired to my account was $38,000).
Prepayment Penalty: None

I hope this helps someone if not today months down the line! Ciao!
First congrats on "winning the loan".....

Second 10% seems kind of high for a home renovations loan, but is in line with nonsecured personals or signature loans.

Third it sounds like a lot of hoops , but the hoops seem doable if all they really wanted was a d/l certified as belonging to the other party, especially since the coborrowers income appears higher in your example.

Can you tell us exactly what renovations you are doing?

Our payment for renovations is $852 for 46 months for renovating the bath and adding cabinets to the kitchen (it had very few), and finishing off the bonus room ( it was a loosly enclosed room, no ceiling no HEAT no florring , no insulations etc). So you're in the ball park. ( we have only 35 more months to go!!! Yay)

Good luck picking out finishes!!!

Old 12-29-2017, 02:20 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, I am curious, would you not qualify for a bank loan or HELOC? That interest rate seems REALLY high, especially when combined with the origination fee (5%?!!).

My bank has HELOCs in the 6-point-something range right now, with a $99 origination fee. My credit is in the 800s, though (wasn't always that way so I am ULTRA-careful now!!).

I'm glad you are satisfied, but that seems really, really expensive ...

Old 12-29-2017, 04:14 AM

60 posts, read 48,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I am curious, would you not qualify for a bank loan or HELOC? That interest rate seems REALLY high, especially when combined with the origination fee (5%?!!).

My bank has HELOCs in the 6-point-something range right now, with a $99 origination fee. My credit is in the 800s, though (wasn't always that way so I am ULTRA-careful now!!).

That's because OP's credit is shot and is trying to renovate his home which he can't afford so he has to pay the high interest just to keep up with the jones.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:52 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:

I was taken aback by that origination fee too. Wow.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:12 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times
A $2,000 loan fee. That's on par with title loan origination fees.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
First congrats on "winning the loan".....

Second 10% seems kind of high for a home renovations loan, but is in line with nonsecured personals or signature loans.

Third it sounds like a lot of hoops , but the hoops seem doable if all they really wanted was a d/l certified as belonging to the other party, especially since the coborrowers income appears higher in your example.

Can you tell us exactly what renovations you are doing?

Our payment for renovations is $852 for 46 months for renovating the bath and adding cabinets to the kitchen (it had very few), and finishing off the bonus room ( it was a loosly enclosed room, no ceiling no HEAT no florring , no insulations etc). So you're in the ball park. ( we have only 35 more months to go!!! Yay)

Good luck picking out finishes!!!

Sure thing! This project is a full remodel minus roofing. Flooring (tile and carpet), full electrical re-wire, bathroom guts, kitchen is bare so adding in cabinets/countertops etc., carpentry (baseboards, trim, windows etc.), some minor siding work, landscape etc. Virtually every component that a property is comprised of. Obviously have a great crew that loves me! Lol. Best of luck with yours as well.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Hi there!
So a couple of things. I do not have a mortgage, so no HELOC’s for me.
This loan has zero discount points upfront so that also comes into play when comparing loans. Technically I was charged 5 points in origination, and 0 in discount, which was more than likely where your 6 points came from.
Also, I went with a peer-to-peer loan instead of a bank or smaller credit union because I already had a loan out on this property. I am rehabbing (fix-and-flip) a house for business purposes and had an investor’s loan (called hard-money loan) for the property itself, and was seeking capital for the repairs. If I went for a traditional loan, that bank or institution would be 2nd position and finding one willing to accept that would be virtually impossible.

Thanks for inquiring and hope that provided some insight!

Old 12-30-2017, 02:03 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimone8 View Post
Hi there!
So a couple of things. I do not have a mortgage, so no HELOC’s for me.
This loan has zero discount points upfront so that also comes into play when comparing loans. Technically I was charged 5 points in origination, and 0 in discount, which was more than likely where your 6 points came from.
Also, I went with a peer-to-peer loan instead of a bank or smaller credit union because I already had a loan out on this property. I am rehabbing (fix-and-flip) a house for business purposes and had an investor’s loan (called hard-money loan) for the property itself, and was seeking capital for the repairs. If I went for a traditional loan, that bank or institution would be 2nd position and finding one willing to accept that would be virtually impossible.

Thanks for inquiring and hope that provided some insight!
Thanks for responding!

I don't think you have to have a mortgage to get a HELOC -- just equity in the house. (It's called a first-lien HELOC.) But it sounds like the lack of equity would be a problem since you already have other loans on the property.

Also, sorry, when I wrote this (bolded part) ...

Quote:

... I meant that my bank's HELOC interest rate is 6-point-something PERCENT right now -- they don't charge ANY points! The only fee is the $99 origination fee. So right now I qualify for a $40,000+ HELOC and the fee would be $99 -- not the $2,000 that you paid to the Lending Club! THAT's what I was so shocked by.

Sorry I wasn't clear, and good luck with the renovations!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM

307 posts, read 211,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I was taken aback by that origination fee too. Wow.
I checked them out for a quote..
For $33,600 for credit card consolidation they want a 6% origination fee for 60 months 20% (APR 22.99%)
and a payment of $890.20.
I have just paid off a $25000 loan from them.
My credit is shot...but at these rates I will just have to keep biting the bullet and pay my minimums until
I can no longer pay..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance