Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 04:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.William View Post
If you are CD laddering that locks up your funds.
What if he locks his money in a CD for 3-6-9-12 months on Friday
and then the next Monday he gets a pink slip?
Then he cashes in one.

Quote:
He's screwed
No he isn't. It's not penalty free but at worst he loses that 3 months of gain.
And it's deductible.

Quote:
I would either keep my emergency fund in a standard savings account or a good ETF.
Good for you. You probably have more discipline than most do.
Which is the real reason to LOCK IT UP... to keep grubby paws off absent a real emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 04:54 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
i have always felt that if i have to resort to spending time to moving money and searching for banks to maximize my return on the cash portion and fractions of a point matter enough to take time to do that , i better have a good look at my total investment plan , because the cash portion should not be that much of a concern overall in the big picture .. .

i won't stuff it in a mattress but i won't go setting up accounts all over the place either and we hold a years worth of cash being retired . i much rather devote the time ,effort and energy on the other 96% of our portfolio . perhaps a better idea instead of using cash instruments would be to use an ultra conservative bond fund which holds very very short term paper . the rates are fine for what it is and there is no money to move or have to deal with another tax line entry .
i do that and just keep everything centralized in my investment/brokerage account .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-27-2018 at 05:12 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 05:05 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
since I live in a HCOL my emergency fund is 1 year of living expenses
If you are basing your emergency fund on expenses (which seems like an appropriate plan) shouldn't it be COL neutral? One year of expenses whether in San Francisco or Mobile, the former would be a much higher amount but they'd both be one year of expenses.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:57 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
nealtaylor illustrates nicely why there is no "one size fits all" recommendation for emergency funds. Variables such as security of job, how hard to find another, whether spouse has job in different industry, etc. come into play.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:19 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
nealtaylor illustrates nicely why there is no "one size fits all" recommendation for emergency funds. Variables such as security of job, how hard to find another, whether spouse has job in different industry, etc. come into play.
In other words, not all emergencies are equal.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:24 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
I am also in education, which is why I don't have as much in an emergency fund.

1. My job is safe
2. IF something happens to my job, I can sub teach and make enough to survive on, but I also umpire/referee a lot

And even if you lose your job in June, you still have 2 months to find something..

What I have done is have $5K in a savings account making nothing.. and then have much more in non retirement ETF
I was living in Texas during the recession. In the 2010-11 school year the state took a cleaver to education because god forbid taxes get raised a point. All of us that were hired within the last few years were the first to be RIFed. The remaining teachers all got an extra 5-10 students in their classes.

I won't soon forget that.

Some people did get by subbing or some other gig work until over the next 2-3 years they hired most of the people back who wanted back. I was livid and left the state; good riddance. I now work in state with a MUCH more generous retirement plan.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:57 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
To me, how much -- and how tied up my EF is depends on how much I keep in my local checking (or savings day-to-day).

I keep at least two month's financial pad in my local checking account as a minimum anyway. So personally I'm never so tight financially that missing. paycheck puts the wolf at my door right away.

I know some people keep just. enough. to. pay. monthly. bills. in their checking or savings account. But 1) I don't like transferring money every month, and 2) psychologically I need more day-to-day financial cushion than that. It's strictly a personal comfort level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance