Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:30 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Really? I see an awful lot of $60k 4WDs here. Real shiny ones. Expensive alloy wheels. Not a spray of mud or a rock ding to be seen. I guess they... must feel real good to sit in. On the leather seats you wouldn't want to mess up with dirt or grass stains or tree sap.

CO's bling-lite by some standards. But it's here, too.
That still doesn't mean those vehicles were bought to impress anyone else, as opposed to be purchased based on the owner's personal desires and preferences. The fact that some people might be impressed by them doesn't automatically change that.

(And no, I don't own one of them, I would never spend that kind of money on a car because it's not something I personally care that much about. I like what I have but I don't expect it to impress anyone)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:09 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Are you in Denver? I see very little of that where I live, where I travel around the state and from people I know. Of course, I don't frequent Denver or the I-70 corridor.

Of course that sort of thing exists everywhere, but I think much less in this state than others, just anecdotally from what I see.

I'm in Lakewood and drive a 63k Lexus AWD. Worth every penny

Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Yes, but most of the time, people buy things for the brand, not the actual luxury features or whatever they like about it. The brand itself is like a statement piece. Why own one Louis Vuitton bag if you can get 5 bags (of excellent quality) for the price of 1 that has very little differences in terms of material quality? It's all in the brand and the perceived status symbol. Why pay $60K for a Lexus when a $35K Toyota has literally the same exact features/similar craftsmanship? No matter how you slice and dice, when something is sold for 2x the cost or more, but both have very similar features/quality construction, there's really nothing else to it but a brand markup.

There's blowing money for something that's actually better, and there's just wasting money for a status symbol. That's where the line needs to be drawn.

You are very wrong on this. I owned several Lexus and sold them. They ARE NOT the same

Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 AM

I love it how other people try to tell you how to spend your own money because they don't agree with it. Went to lunch yesterday and walked into a jewelry store. Saw a bracelet I fell in love with and bought it for 5k. Didn't even blink an eye. I work hard and I deserve it. I don't have to impress anyone at all.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:40 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Not at this point in time. I've spent the past 3 years in super frugal mode, saving as much as I can as I wait to see if my pension is going to be severely cut. The fund is in the red and they submitted a plan to the Treasury Dept. but it was rejected in May, 2017.

The board of directors is trying to decide whether to do a revision and resubmit or just to let it ride - in which case it is currently projected to go bankrupt at the end of 2030. Based on the originally proposed cut I currently have enough in savings to supplement my routine expenses for about 6 years.

However there are likely to be non routine needs (I just replaced my roof and water heater) in the foreseeable future. The Suburban is a 1996 with 204,000+ miles on it, the washer and dryer are 15 years old, etc.

Lately the waiting game is very frustrating - like being on hold on the phone for 3 years.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz123 View Post
The most expensive thing I ever purchases besides my home and my cars is my home theater system. I didn't buy it to show it off to people. I bought it because since I was a child, I dream of having one. I bought one as soon as I can afford it and no regret.
While I don't have a home theatre system I do have a 'fondness' for movies. I am frugal in my purchase of them and I have the patience to wait for the 'new release' to fall to what I consider a reasonable price to pay for it.

On the other hand I will never, ever (unless I am elderly and frail and placed in an assisted living center) will be without a car and my preference is for new. Although I am single and my income is moderate I don't have any other 'needs' which would prevent me from focusing on what I deem to be the 'necessary' purchases for 'my life'. I have excellent credit and I negotiate the best interest rate and price that I am able to.

I alluded to this in a post long past and I received a 'rep' stating something to the affect of 'not everyone can afford to do that'. No, not everyone can, however I make it affordable for myself by not 'needing' other things which some consider necessary to make them 'comfortable, happy, secure, joyful'.

I am at the age where I have no other responsibilities to anyone else and I take care of 'my needs' as I see fit without guilt or regret.

Yes, you can "simply buy something because you like it".

In the end, I say to 'each their own' and everyone is entitled to their 'wants and needs' as they see them.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
One "reasoning" that I see here all the time that baffles me is "X people purchase something" to show the world or "impress the neighbors".

I just read this on the luxury car thread.

Now maybe I'm just really unobservant but I couldn't tell you what type of car a random stranger is driving. I couldn't tell you what type of car my siblings drive.

Same with houses. If someone has a big house, we automatically go to "oh they are trying to impress the neighbors. Really? How come some one can't simply like big rooms? lol,

Anyway, I turn 60 in a year and a half and I've been saving for a luxury bag that I fell in love with (lol hopefully it will still be around). I won't be trying to impress anyone, I simply saw it in the store window at the king of Prussia mall and said, "wow that's gorgeous". lol

Isn't is possible to blow money on something not to impress anyone but simply because one saw it, liked it and could afford it?

Of course it's possible. Even recommended sometimes!

I've thought about it and I don't think I know anybody who buys something to impress others or 'keep up with the Joneses'. A lot of people own nice new vehicles, some have big houses and most of the people I know don't give a rats butt what others think. lol They bought the things they did because they liked them, could afford it and wanted it. My brother owns a big, very nice, house not far from me. He didn't buy it to impress anyone but they liked it AND the price was right. That's what most of the people I know, including myself, do.

You go buy that "luxury bag" and enjoy it to the max!

Old 02-15-2018, 05:37 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
I splurged and bought a $200 pair of boots the other night. But I thought about it for weeks before my wife said, "Just buy the boots already. You know you want them." Man, they are good looking, and I am not even a clothes horse.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:41 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I splurged and bought a $200 pair of boots the other night. But I thought about it for weeks before my wife said, "Just buy the boots already. You know you want them." Man, they are good looking, and I am not even a clothes horse.
How long will you likely own them, and how often will you wear them? I suspect the answers will make the $200 irrelevant. "Buying for value" is just good sense.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

You don't know how I wish I could do something like that. Just spend that much money on something I really wanted, but I can't. I COULD, but I can't. I spend very little on myself but I'll buy what I want for my house. Even at that, though, I think about it for a long time before pulling the trigger because it has to be something I WILL use often enough to be worth it.

Having said that, I just spent $200 on a Bissell Wet-Dry floor cleaner and it works great! I justified it with my health. Sweep/mop/shine is work intensive when you have 5 acres of, mostly, hardwood floors. Feels like 5 acres! I have COPD and it wears me out. Also recently broke my hip and while I'm fully recovered I cannot do some things I used to do, like get down on the floor! So, just for those two reasons I felt justified in buying this appliance. I won't regret it, I'm sure. Oh, and this machine cleans my area rugs like a charm and they realllly needed it! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance