Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:58 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I flew Alaska out of OAK when I lived in Walnut Creek using miles, especially the direct flights to Hawaii - OAK is a great airport for sure, and more of the exception than the rule for Southwest, unless you have the companion pass - then it's the best deal in travel no matter where you live.
Yep. Now if only the traffic on 24 and 880 would go away.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i recently traveled with my brother and his primary card is the fidelity visa. he decided to still use it, the foreign transaction fee is only 1%. if you travel a lot internationally, it could change the math a bit.
Interestingly enough, I have both debit cards (not the visa credit card) from Fidelity. Their gold card, which is associated to their cash brokerage account, carries a 1% foreign transaction fee but their regular cash management (their bank account essentially) has a 0% foreign transaction fee. It makes it one of the best debit cards to use in places where cash is king since they reimburse all other fees. In Japan, I can use my credit card or withdraw cash at the exact exchange rate at that exact second at all atms except those weird ones with no card slot (wtf Japan ). Same with Taiwan. I can't speak to other countries, other than the US of course, since I have only traveled to those haha.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Yep. Now if only the traffic on 24 and 880 would go away.....
I just used BART - with the AirTrain, it became a lot easier to BART to the OAK airport. The Bus bridge was annoying.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
I love the Chase Sapphire Reserve. x3 points on travel and dining charges, x1 points for everything else. Trip insurance features (like trip delay, lost luggage, etc) and Priority Pass membership. $450 annual fee but I think its worth it.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:54 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Interestingly enough, I have both debit cards (not the visa credit card) from Fidelity. Their gold card, which is associated to their cash brokerage account, carries a 1% foreign transaction fee but their regular cash management (their bank account essentially) has a 0% foreign transaction fee. It makes it one of the best debit cards to use in places where cash is king since they reimburse all other fees. In Japan, I can use my credit card or withdraw cash at the exact exchange rate at that exact second at all atms except those weird ones with no card slot (wtf Japan ). Same with Taiwan. I can't speak to other countries, other than the US of course, since I have only traveled to those haha.

I have both. I did not know that. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-16-2018, 12:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
my dilemma right now is whether or not i should switch from my Amex SPG for business to a Chase Ink card. one big issue i have with the spg points is that they dont advertise point amounts for suites and my googling tells me that redeeming points for suites will give me a crappy value for the points.

i like being gold, got me a free upgrade to a suite recently. thats pretty nice if i can count on it but there is no guarantee in advance.
i just ran a theoretical trip on the SPG web site and compared it to running it on the Ultimate Rewards portal (Sapphire Reserve). so for the regular room, the value was better through SPG, 10,000 vs 12,688 points. however, there are better point earning opportunities with Chase Ink (3x points on almost 45% of my spending to this point). so even though you get a better point value, im still likely getting a better value for my spend with chase ink.

when i checked for a suite, the suite wasnt available to purchase, i called and asked. so i had the operator check any other hotels that offer suites with points. clearly most dont. she found one and the pricing of a regular room was similar to the first hotel so i will assume similar point expense. for the suite, SPG would cost me 24,000 points per night, chase portal was 14,955 points per night. so a huge advantage for the portal.

i am going to apply for the chase ink. those jerks rejected me because of a mistake on my credit report, should be gtg now.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:07 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
i just ran a theoretical trip on the SPG web site and compared it to running it on the Ultimate Rewards portal (Sapphire Reserve). so for the regular room, the value was better through SPG, 10,000 vs 12,688 points. however, there are better point earning opportunities with Chase Ink (3x points on almost 45% of my spending to this point). so even though you get a better point value, im still likely getting a better value for my spend with chase ink.

when i checked for a suite, the suite wasnt available to purchase, i called and asked. so i had the operator check any other hotels that offer suites with points. clearly most dont. she found one and the pricing of a regular room was similar to the first hotel so i will assume similar point expense. for the suite, SPG would cost me 24,000 points per night, chase portal was 14,955 points per night. so a huge advantage for the portal.

i am going to apply for the chase ink. those jerks rejected me because of a mistake on my credit report, should be gtg now.
Please report back your outcome and experience with the Ink.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Please report back your outcome and experience with the Ink.
its pretty straightforward. i will miss the status that comes with the SPG card but i dont really know how valuable it is; probably doesnt make up for the reduced value of spend.

i currently use the chase freedom unlimited and chase sapphire reserve to accumulate chase UR points. so this will just help me amass more.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:16 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
its pretty straightforward. i will miss the status that comes with the SPG card but i dont really know how valuable it is; probably doesnt make up for the reduced value of spend.

i currently use the chase freedom unlimited and chase sapphire reserve to accumulate chase UR points. so this will just help me amass more.
Yup we were looking at the ink card. 80k signup and can transfer them to our CSR

Old 02-17-2018, 12:31 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Yup we were looking at the ink card. 80k signup and can transfer them to our CSR
I have 2 ink cards for mine and my wife's businesses - the value when combining with your Sapphire is incredible because of the 5x office supply store bonus category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance