Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:31 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

my company did go belly up years ago trapping my 401k .

when the company stopped paying the fees the custodian stopped handling the money . all investments were sold and converted to cash and turned over to the courts . they had to appoint a custodian to distribute the money and it took many many months where it was trapped .

the profit sharing money took a year to get . they had to track down ex employees and get signed spousal consent forms from spouses notifying them the money was being sent out .

they could not distribute a dime until they followed all the steps to trying to get those consent forms back .

i won't leave any money with any company that i don't have to .especially when i don't work there .

it was hard enough seeing the company failure coming when we worked there . it just looked like the typical vendor credit holds we always saw . not until it was to late were there signs of something deeper going on .

the day i retired i pulled my 401k money out and rolled it to my ira.

funny thing is since i work 1 day a week i am eligible to contribute to a new 401k at the same company .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-23-2018 at 04:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:21 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
Haha thank you. I need to up my search game.....

Old 06-25-2018, 08:33 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
So an update:
I finally ended up buying back into VOO among other things via the $337k roll over funds. I'm at $367k right now but could have been better.....but i dollar cost averaged it as VOO was going down. I think the lowest i bought back in was 235 or something....
i again sold half of my total last week in anticipation for a market drop....and bought back in today for about half.

i love the flexibility of the roll over IRA. it's pretty easy to get hooked and gamble....which is not good....but exciting....

Old 06-26-2018, 04:22 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
I used to be an advocate for rolling into the new employer's 401(k) plan because of the ability to remove money after age 55 without penalty if a person gets out-sourced, laid-off, victim of age discrimination, or successful early retirement.

From hanging out on this board my eyes have been opened as to the vast number of really crappy 401(k) plans out there! Limited investment choices, limited movement of funds, limitations on means of removing funds, etc. I discovered that I have been fortunate to have access to very flexible 401(k) plans at both employers.

So now I am an advocate for the Roll-Over IRA and use of the old, but still existing, 72t rule to extract money without penalties for living expenses to support an early retirement - planned or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance