Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:44 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone who commented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
sorry, my bad!
I think you did a good thing myself, but I am biased. I bought a 5000 sq ft home and rent out the basement which cuts my mortgage in half.
The op mentioned he has rentals, so this should be easy for him. The only thing is if he moves is he comfortable with selling or renting long distance.
Just wanted to address this. I do own the rentals, yes. But, a relative of mine does all the property management and handy work. I am by no means handy. All I really do is handle the finances, which is simple, especially since my accountant handles most of it. A couple family members actually rent one of the units from me, so it makes owning them super easy.

I've always viewed rental properties differently than a property I'd own. They just generate cash for me, where with a property I own and live in, I basically pay it instead of having it pay me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:28 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
well it seems you know yourself pretty well so I am sure you will make a wise decision. I've owned and manage rentals for over 30 years. This is the first house I have ever bought for myself. Feels weird not making a cash flow on it.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
well it seems you know yourself pretty well so I am sure you will make a wise decision. I've owned and manage rentals for over 30 years. This is the first house I have ever bought for myself. Feels weird not making a cash flow on it.
Exactly how I feel about owning a primary residence. I've decided to keep renting here since I have a good situation. I'll stick with buying rentals.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Exactly how I feel about owning a primary residence. I've decided to keep renting here since I have a good situation. I'll stick with buying rentals.
Good luck. I think you are on the right track.
When I moved to Atlanta I could either buy a house cash or buy rentals and rent a place for myself.
I chose to buy rentals and made about $200k in forced equity right off the bat. Then I made almost 40k a year in net income off the rentals while paying rent of 20k a year.
Finally I bought a house because it was a dream home for me and it was cheaper than to rent because I rented out the basement.
I think you are a younger version of me

Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
How AirBnB friendly is the area you're planning to buy in? If I had it to do all over again, I would buy a place where many legitimate folks need a short term rental. These places are booked months in advance in my area. Home owners bring in much more in revenue than they would with a renter. They also get to bypass the landlord/tenant laws, no worries about evicting a tenant who damages the property or can't pay, no fee to a rental agent. I don't know what cut AirBnB gets. You would have to buy in an area that had many schools and business travelers or vacationers and check with the town to find out the zoning laws for that kind of business. I know it is discouraged if someone buys in a home owners association.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Good luck. I think you are on the right track.
When I moved to Atlanta I could either buy a house cash or buy rentals and rent a place for myself.
I chose to buy rentals and made about $200k in forced equity right off the bat. Then I made almost 40k a year in net income off the rentals while paying rent of 20k a year.
Finally I bought a house because it was a dream home for me and it was cheaper than to rent because I rented out the basement.
I think you are a younger version of me
Very nice. My rentals actually do pretty well. They're in small towns in upstate NY, Capital Region area. High rental demand in those areas and the properties are dirt cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
How AirBnB friendly is the area you're planning to buy in? If I had it to do all over again, I would buy a place where many legitimate folks need a short term rental. These places are booked months in advance in my area. Home owners bring in much more in revenue than they would with a renter. They also get to bypass the landlord/tenant laws, no worries about evicting a tenant who damages the property or can't pay, no fee to a rental agent. I don't know what cut AirBnB gets. You would have to buy in an area that had many schools and business travelers or vacationers and check with the town to find out the zoning laws for that kind of business. I know it is discouraged if someone buys in a home owners association.
Haven't looked a whole lot into AirBnB. I live in Raleigh, NC. I don't know if it's as big here as it is in, say, Miami or San Francisco. I also don't know if I want to take on the hospitality side of things. I like rentals because they're very hands off for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance