Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,405 times

Advertisements

I have credit cards I don't carry around. But I'm afraid to leave them in the house because it is possible they can be stolen. What do you do about protecting your wallet, AND credit cards as well as social security cards, etc.? In fact, I'm afraid to carry them around in my wallet also. So what do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 05:20 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I have credit cards I don't carry around. But I'm afraid to leave them in the house because it is possible they can be stolen. What do you do about protecting your wallet, AND credit cards as well as social security cards, etc.? In fact, I'm afraid to carry them around in my wallet also. So what do you do?
lol, I have mine in a tin in my kitchen. I have fraud alerts on my credit cards so any charge more than 500 bucks gets a text sent asking to verify.

ss cards are in a fireproof lock box along with passports. I keep a credit freeze on my credit accounts since im not opening any new lines of credit.

Actually I'm probably more worried about misplacing stuff in my wallet that I use daily like my debit card, than someone breaking in my house and taking my credit cards

Old 03-04-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I have mine in a tin in my kitchen. I have fraud alerts on my credit cards so any charge more than 500 bucks gets a text sent asking to verify.

ss cards are in a fireproof lock box along with passports. I keep a credit freeze on my credit accounts since im not opening any new lines of credit.

Actually I'm probably more worried about misplacing stuff in my wallet that I use daily like my debit card, than someone breaking in my house and taking my credit cards
Thanks for suggestions. I will definitely think of a credit freeze because I have too many cards. And I'm worried about someone stealing my handbag also.
I guess I can't overworry everything, but I tend to do that. Such as ok, now that we've solved the credit card dilemma (put a freeze on the ones I'm not using and check w/ the companies I do use about fraud alerts), what about the social security cards? Well, I know they're sending out new cards soon w/o the numbers. So that's good.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:28 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Its probably a bad idea to tell complete strangers on a web forum where I keep them. Kind of defeats the purpose, eh?

Old 03-04-2018, 01:47 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks for suggestions. I will definitely think of a credit freeze because I have too many cards.
Why do you or anyone need too many credit cards, we have 4 different cards and those are more than enough for my wife and I, think about closing a bunch, then you will have less to worry about.

My wife and I have also frozen our credit with the 4 reporting agencies including Innovis.,
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs

As for where to keep them, a large immovable safe in your home is always good for personal papers and items such as those you mentioned, too many people leave important documents around for prying eyes to find and possibly use for wrongful purposes, we keep them locked in a filing cabinet in a safe.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:26 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Many of us have lost our wallets or even had them stolen. It is not that big of an issue. Just keep a list of cards and the corresponding phone numbers to call in case of loss. You are totally protected against fraud and the cards will be replaced quickly.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:33 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,659,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Many of us have lost our wallets or even had them stolen. It is not that big of an issue. Just keep a list of cards and the corresponding phone numbers to call in case of loss. You are totally protected against fraud and the cards will be replaced quickly.

This. I lost my wallet at a park when I was a teenager. Luckily, a nice fellow found my address on my drivers license and decided to turn it in to me.

I have 7 credit cards and 6 debit cards so I would have a lot of calling to do if I ever lost my wallet.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Why do you or anyone need too many credit cards, we have 4 different cards and those are more than enough for my wife and I, think about closing a bunch, then you will have less to worry about.

My wife and I have also frozen our credit with the 4 reporting agencies including Innovis.,
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs

As for where to keep them, a large immovable safe in your home is always good for personal papers and items such as those you mentioned, too many people leave important documents around for prying eyes to find and possibly use for wrongful purposes, we keep them locked in a filing cabinet in a safe.
Yes, I was thinking about personal papers, too, such as income tax returns. Those are dangerous to keep around. We should not have all the credit cards, that was our mistake. But I will be putting a freeze on some of them. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
This. I lost my wallet at a park when I was a teenager. Luckily, a nice fellow found my address on my drivers license and decided to turn it in to me.

I have 7 credit cards and 6 debit cards so I would have a lot of calling to do if I ever lost my wallet.
I figure I can always call Equifax or one of the services to see exactly which credit cards we have. But I will be freezing some of them.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:37 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post

I’m not against having cards but 13? Especially 6 debit cards seems like added risk and overkill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance