Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:01 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
^^^^^^^That was probably one of the best posts I have read on CD in the last 11 years I been on here!
Yeah, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 02:56 PM

233 posts, read 191,096 times
I have lived enough and most importantly dealt with enough people to know that the quality of our lives are a direct reflection of the CHOICES we make every single day; at times moment to moment.

You can be compassionate for the suffering of others and yet not feel the need to apologize for being a smart person who made good choices and have your life reflect those choices.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:29 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
If luck is an issue, you've already had enough luck that by itself has put you in the top couple of percentiles. You could have been born on a pirogue floating in a sewage canal in Burma.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 PM

375 posts, read 319,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
^^^^^^^That was probably one of the best posts I have read on CD in the last 11 years I been on here!
Agreed! Wanted to add my BRAVO to the poster! Very well written!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
As if on que, a boomer regales us with a story of their lone struggle of personal greatness.
I know. And I'm an early boomer. On queue. Some forums here are full of people bragging about how well they did and that if someone else didn't do so great (in terms of money, of course) it's for not working hard enough, not saving enough, not being smart enough, not "making the right decisions." Brag brag brag. I guess it must make them feel better. Maybe money isn't everything after all since they still feel the need to brag.

There are many more people, boomers too, who didn't come out ahead of the game. Yet they went to college, worked hard, didn't spend much, drove an economy car, ate healthy foods (fill in all the blanks) and still something went wrong for them.

Bad things can happen to good people. Poor health or an accident can happen to anyone, so consider yourself lucky if it hasn't happened to you yet. In this country, poor health can ruin your life in terms of losing your money. And disability insurance isn't necessarily going to save you. What if you get sick in college and can never work? Or you get sick in your early twenties when you haven't been able to afford to buy disability insurance or you haven't found a good enough job that offers disability insurance? In this country you are screwed.

You rarely hear about the boomers who worked and sacrificed only to end up in dire straits due to some unexpected health issue. Or the boomer who had to quit working to care for an elderly parent or a disabled child. If you are part of a dual income couple and both are lucky enough to not suffer a serious illness or be in an accident, you certainly should do well money-wise. No excuse not to. That doesn't make you superior to others who worked hard and had bad luck in life.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:35 PM

730 posts, read 769,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Spot on. The way health care costs are going in this country, unless you are a multi-millionaire, a disease/condition/accident can completely wreck your finances. Some people have a general predisposition to certain diseases due to genetics. Or you can rack up high medical bills because of some random event that causes you or a family member an injury.
This. We still live decently but having one child who had cancer and another that has cerebral palsy, epilepsy and a rare visual impairment has taken a huge toll on our finances. It will play a decent sized role in our kids lives as they age as well. unless you've lived it, it's difficult to understand how much chronic medical issues can cost. And we have good insurance. It is what it is.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:57 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Health is a wildcard as well. You can eat healthy and exercise to try to get better outcomes but you can still be born to problems or have them develop outside of your control. You could have children that have medical bills their entire life.
Here we go again with the "health is a wildcard" comment. It really annoys me that so many people view anything that isn't a 100% iron clad guarantee as a "wildcard". Use of the term "Wildcard" strongly implies randomness, that one has no control or very little control over one's health. That's simply not true.

I'll concede that marriage is a little more dicey. But people who have successful marriages tend to share a similar set of traits in terms of attitudes and behavior. It's not a guarantee, but it's not a wildcard, either.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
As if on que, a boomer regales us with a story of their lone struggle of personal greatness.
I think you mean "on cue". I often find sloppy spelling and sloppy thinking go together.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Pshaw. I'm just pointing out the idea that one's position in life is mostly the result of luck is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Worried about devastating diseases, like the OP? Call your insurance agent.

No, you can't guard against every eventuality, but you sure as heck can mitigate risk.
Agreed.

Just to add some support to that. What percentage of lottery jackpot winners are broke within 5 years?

A: About 70%. Interestingly, that's about the same percentage of Americans who live payday to payday or are going further in debt.

Why do 70 percent of lottery winners end up bankrupt? | cleveland.com

Old 03-10-2018, 04:33 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think you mean "on cue". I often find sloppy spelling and sloppy thinking go together.
Yes, I spelled something wrong. One day I was thinking I was objective and somewhat intelligent, but then it all went away in a flash. I’m surprised you missed my other egregious spelling error of the word “different” because I typed from a phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance