Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 06:49 PM

87 posts, read 95,755 times

Advertisements

So, what say you? First, is there a better forum to pose this question to?

Since she is a Hair Stylist, i am purchasing it with her in mind, as she has expressed an interest in owning one.

She doesn't have the credit history that i do, so i couldn't add her name to the loan.

I figured that since i am the one taking out the loan, that it is my Salon, and she will be running it.

Won't it still be *my* business until she pays the loan off?

Last edited by dental257; 03-26-2018 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:59 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Get a lawyer and draft a business agreement that covers all the bases, just as if you were two strangers. She should have rights to manage the salon as you both see fit, but answering to you as far as covering loan and operating costs, and there should be clear terms for ending and modifying the agreement.

Frankly, if you don't do this, all the advice in the world is useless. And if you do this, the process won't leave a lot of room for casual advice.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:59 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dental257 View Post
So, what say you? First, is there a better forum to pose this question to?

Since she is a Hair Stylist, i am purchasing it with her in mind, as she has expressed an interest in purchasing it.

She doesn't have the credit history that i do, so i couldn't add her name to the loan.

I figured that since i am the one taking out the loan, that it is my Salon, and she will be running it.

Won't it still be *my* business until she pays the loan off?
You will not own a salon. You will have a deed to ownership in property. The person that owns the salon "business" owns just the right to do hair, not the property in which the business is in. I presume she will be paying you rent. You are a landlord of a property and she is a tenant of the property with her business. If the business fails, you still have to pay the mortgage as the property owner - so you likely have a "business" of your own as a property owner and manager.

Once the loan is paid off, you would have to transfer ownership rights to the property to her.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:01 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
have either one of you owned and operated a business before?

Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Get a lawyer and draft a business agreement that covers all the bases, just as if you were two strangers. She should have rights to manage the salon as you both see fit, but answering to you as far as covering loan and operating costs, and there should be clear terms for ending and modifying the agreement.

Frankly, if you don't do this, all the advice in the world is useless. And if you do this, the process won't leave a lot of room for casual advice.
I agree 100% with this.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:16 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
You need an business attorney. Maybe a CPA.
First write down very briefly what you want to do so when you talk to the attorney he knows what you want.
Question are you buying the business - existing supplies, furniture and fixtures, customer base etc or just a physical space where a salon business was run from?
In your state do you need a license to operate a salon - probably yes - who has the license?
From what you say you are borrowing cash. Will use the cash to buy the salon. Thus you own the business and will continue to own the business when the loan is paid off.
She will be your (the business) employee. Is the business going to be an LLP, Corp, S Corp, Sole proprietorship etc.?
If you want to sell her the business you could enter into an agreement for her to buy it for the amount of the loan and to pay you monthly the same amount as the loan payment and she would own the business after she made all the payments.
Is the business going to be security for your loan?

Old 03-26-2018, 07:17 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Default "It's Complicated"

You will form a corporation or partnership of some sort. Your First step must be to decide the details with her and visit a lawyers office to draw up an agreement to start and end the operation.
Begin here:
https://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/r...-company-types
I was in a business with a non-family friend. We formed a Subchapter S Corp. There should be at least five members with voting authority. If there can be a tie vote you have to have an agreement to appoint three arbitrators to decide contentious issues.
You should also both have wills outlining disposal of the shares of the business. Of course a partnership agreement is essential. Few small businesses survive three years, be sure to provide for disposition of the business assets.
An alternative is for you to buy an existing business and hire her to run it with an agreement on her buying it from you later. In either case the bank will want to see a five year business plan.
Most businesses like you have outlined fail from thievery by employees or co-operators.
"How do I know? I just do."
My dad set up my half sister three times. All were failures.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:30 PM

87 posts, read 95,755 times
My Daughter has the License to do Hair.

This is an established Salon, Ready to go.

Thank you for all of your input folks!

Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Hope it works out for you both!

Does your daughter already have customers that will follow her?

Are there existing stylists at this salon that will stay? Will they be paying monthly rent to you for their space?

You need to discuss with your daughter about all the finances so there aren't any surprises along the way. Who is paying utilities, advertising, maintenance, etc? Do you need to pay for a manager or is that a separate license in your state? What happens if sales aren't high enough - at what point do you close and sell?

One of my friends discovered she made more money as a stylist than when she owned the salon.

Also, you mention getting a loan to buy the business. Let us know how that goes.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:37 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
Sounds like she is buying the business and not the building in which the business is located. Unless your daughter has a business background and is familiar with how to run a business (i.e. tax laws, record keeping, break even point etc.) she is doomed to failure. She could be a great stylist, but, if she has no business background with regard to payroll, insurance, and the costs associated with running a business - she will be way in over her head.

Have her take a few business courses at a local college on setting up and running a small business before she jumps into owning a small business. Does she even know how to read a profit and loss statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance