Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 10:55 AM

270 posts, read 210,791 times

Advertisements

3 months ago I requested a credit increase for Discover and got approved.
Today I did with Citi and got approved.

I'm thinking to ask them again but how often can I do this and within what time frame? I just want to increase the line just for security and credit buildup without pulling my credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
They may do a pull on your credit when you ask.

I'd not ask more than once a year.

If you really want to up it, make all payments on time before the due date, or pay off every month, and usually around Sept or Oct they may increase your limit anyway.
They like to do that before Christmas so people can shop more for Christmas.

Just don't run up a large tab you can't reasonably pay off.
Otherwise you start to look risky.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:50 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post

I'm thinking to ask them again but how often can I do this and within what time frame? I just want to increase the line just for security and credit buildup without pulling my credit.

Citi is every 6 months with a soft pull. Anything more frequent than that is a hard pull. It's generally a $1500 increase.

Not sure about Discover since I dont have one. Capital One, if anyone cares, is every 3 months. Chase would be a hard pull anytime unless they initiate it. Amex is at day 61 for the first request (from the date of opening) and 6 months for the second one and subsequent ones.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:10 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post

Another option is to build a good emergency fund. Don’t rely on credit as your “security blanket.” It’s a sure bet you’ll use it. As far as your credit rating, you’ll do better by keeping your balances low (or paid off every month) and pay on time.

Saying “security” and “building your credit” in the same breath is a deadly mixture, that has brought more than one well intended person to their financial knees. You sound like you could be just starting out. Build good habits now, and you won’t Have to dig out later, says the voice of experience.

Last edited by dmills; 04-02-2018 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
I'd say once every 6-12 months is reasonable, but not more since they could do a hard pull. Also, if you are going to apply for a mortgage, it's probably best to avoid asking within the preceding 6-12 months, just to be on the safe side.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Another option is to build a good emergency fund. Don’t rely on credit as your “security blanket.” It’s a sure bet you’ll use it. As far as your credit rating, you’ll do better by keeping your balances low (or paid off every month) and pay on time.

Saying “security” and “building your credit” in the same breath is a deadly mixture, that has brought more than one well intended person to their financial knees. You sound like you could be just starting out. Build good habits now, and you won’t Have to dig out later, says the voice of experience.
I think the goal is to raise the overall utilization of credit which helps your credit score. AlthoughI do agree with most of your other points about paying on time and in full while maintaining a security fund.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 PM

270 posts, read 210,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post

Yes I have that saving so it is a good start. I put all my bills and expenses on the cc and I paid off each month so I'm good with that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I think the goal is to raise the overall utilization of credit which helps your credit score. AlthoughI do agree with most of your other points about paying on time and in full while maintaining a security fund.
I want higher credit to raise my score so I can do something with it later such as open a business and rent out a space or hopefully get a home.

Every respond is very helpful and I believe there is no hard pull because they didn't ask permission for them to pull my credit. I freeze my credit so I don't think they can pull it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance