Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 03:24 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,174,950 times

Advertisements

What does it mean "REDEMPTION VALUE OF 50,000 MILES"? What if air ticket is very expensive during peak season? For example, 50,000 miles of air ticket could cost around $1000, can you still use 50,000 point to purchase a ticket of $1000 (50k points = $1000)? Or I still need to pay remaining amount ($1000-$625=$375)?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Credit card bonus? REDEMPTION VALUE OF 50,000 MILES-credit-card-bonus.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 03:55 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
If you buy a ticket through Chase's site, then 50,000 miles is equivalent to $625. If your ticket costs more than $625, you would have to pay the remaining amount.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
The points could be a worth more than 625.00 if moved to a travel partner but chase can’t guarantee their value when you do that. Redemptions through the Chase portal they have the ability to place a value on them. If the ticket value is 1000.00 you should price it through the airlines rewards program on the airline’s site and see if they are a travel partner with Chase

Old 04-07-2018, 07:59 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The points could be a worth more than 625.00 if moved to a travel partner but chase can’t guarantee their value when you do that. Redemptions through the Chase portal they have the ability to place a value on them. If the ticket value is 1000.00 you should price it through the airlines rewards program on the airline’s site and see if they are a travel partner with Chase
This.

I've used 50k Chase points to fly United in Business Class overseas one way after xfering to my United account - well over a $1000 value. Really depends on your travel desires. If you're going to fly Southwest, you're not going to get much more than that $625 of value. Where it really benefits you is in fixed mileage scenarios, which unfortunately are dying a slow painful death. Hyatt also has some really fantastic redemptions for 15-25k points. You could stay 2 nights at a 5-star resort in Costa Rica with those 50k points - around $1000 value for the 2 nights.

Point is - the value of the points really varies. Most people value Chase UR around 1.87 cents per point, but there are plenty of redemptions that could exceed that value.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:35 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,174,950 times
I randomly did some search (it is freedom card), it appears that 1 point = 1 cent, which is same as cash redemption. I don't know how to turn 1 point into 1.25 cents.

Let along 50K MILES. No airfare is shown as MILES.
Attached Thumbnails
Credit card bonus? REDEMPTION VALUE OF 50,000 MILES-points.jpg  

Old 04-07-2018, 08:40 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I randomly did some search (it is freedom card), it appears that 1 point = 1 cent, which is same as cash redemption. I don't know how to turn 1 point into 1.25 cents.

The first post was the Sapphire preferred which has better point redemptions options and airline transfer. The freedoms card doesn’t offer this but you can move your ultimate rewards points from your freedom card to your Sapphire instantly and get the better redemption/transfer options

Old 04-07-2018, 10:00 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post

The title of the chart in the OP is “The Redemption Value of 50,000 Points/Miles” because it is comparing different programs. Chase and Amex call their currencies “points” and Capital One calls their currency “miles”, so the chart is comparing the value of 50k Chase Ultimate Rewards “Points” vs 50k Amex Membership Rewards “Points” vs 50k Capital One “Miles”.

You don’t earn “miles” with Chase, but you do earn “points” that you can transfer to different airline programs, some of which call THEIR currencies “miles”.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:54 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
I don't have Chase Freedom or Sapphire and have never used the Ultimate Rewards Portal, but know you can transfer your Chase Points to United 1:1 for miles. Most airlines also value miles to be worth $0.01.

Back at the end of 2006, I did a 3 week holiday to Australia from the US using miles on United. At the time it was "only" 50,000 miles for a round trip ticket in economy for the flight. Because I was flying during the peak part of the peak season, Christmas and New Year's, my ticket would have cost me at least $2,000.

If you do the math $2,000 / 50,000 miles = $0.04, so the miles I redeemed were actually worth 4 cents, which was by far my best redemption ever. My goal is at least make my miles be worth 2 cents, of course when you redeem for business and 1st class you might be able to get a lot higher values, although you need more miles.

Like someone mentioned further up the thread, if you transfer the points to miles on a partner airline 1:1, you might make them theoretically be more valuable, depending if you can use them and how you use them.

Last edited by cjseliga; 04-08-2018 at 01:26 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 05:37 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
You stepped in something that is among the great debates of the day. There is another popular forum I won't mention that has the mile freaks running amok. If you got the equivalent of 1 cent per mile they would send the lynch mob after you. They are big on finding ways to get over 2 cents a mile in value, but a lot of that comes from redeeming for business or first class seats. If you are just interested in economy seats you'll be doing well to get 2 cents a mile from your redemptions (ie. you use 50,000 miles for a ticket that costs $1,000 when you book it, that's a 2 cent/mile redemption). Even worse you will find what appeared to be a great deal become just ordinary because the same airline offers seats at a lower price once you get closer to travel date.

In general the most common rule of thumb is use your miles for either a last minute fare you have to get a flight for or for a trip to a not so popular destination with a small airport that requires you to connect to on a small plane. Don't use it on a popular route like LAX-JFK, you'll always have a shot at a good cash price on that one. And as for your original question, its really hard to get free seats on a peak season flight anyways. You might have a shot if you book it 11 months in advance as that's when the airlines usually open it up. But they are no dummies in this age of data, they know everyone wants to go somewhere on Thanksgiving or that a lot of people want to go see certain annual events which spike traffic. I tried a few years ago to get a flight to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby and like magic they never opened up a free seat on those flights within a few days of the event even though I looked 11 months in advance.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:48 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
And as for your original question, its really hard to get free seats on a peak season flight anyways. You might have a shot if you book it 11 months in advance as that's when the airlines usually open it up. But they are no dummies in this age of data, they know everyone wants to go somewhere on Thanksgiving or that a lot of people want to go see certain annual events which spike traffic. I tried a few years ago to get a flight to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby and like magic they never opened up a free seat on those flights within a few days of the event even though I looked 11 months in advance.
That's how I was able to redeem 50,000 miles back in 2006 on United for my economy (saver) ticket down to OZ for the end of December that year (Christmas and New Year's), the peak of the peak season. I got the ticket the day the FF seats were uploaded into the system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance