Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 04:37 AM

51 posts, read 57,450 times

Advertisements

I'm still living with parents and I'm about to get paid. My mother in particular stresses that I need to save it wisely but I'm torn between that and short term gratification.

I've talked to some people and they say that my plan is insane. I was thinking of buying some recreational drugs where I live as I have one acquaintance who is a supplier. My mother was totally against that but says so long as I don't steal to fund my habit or get arrested, I'm fine. Besides, (don't want to bring the ''50 million Frenchmen fallacy but..) the few teens where I live in a middle class area along with some college students further out always talk about doing either weed, ecstasy, cocaine, Xanax bars.

Is it possible to partake in this along with saving for the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:20 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Uh... hrmmm....

Well, I'll just say there is nothing wrong with spending some of your paycheck on recreation. If you get your enjoyment from that as opposed to some other people spending some "play money" on recreation like... going skydiving or ziplining or meeting friends at a pub, etc - I guess its fine? Well, other than the legality, but it sounds like that isn't part of the conversation.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:29 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
What did you do with your first paycheck?
Forty years, fifteen cities, seven countries, three continents and three university degrees later, I don't think I have spent it all yet.

Yes, you can save and do what you want.

Only, be careful what you wish for.

Good Luck!

Old 04-10-2018, 08:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
No. It is better to spend it all on drugs. There is no point in saving any. Maybe set aside $40 of it to buy your Mom some flowers.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:03 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
Just start slowly with the weaker stuff and work your way up. First it's easier to support your habit this way and then as you make more money you can snort all the coke off hookers that you want. Once you get the good stuff you don't want to go back.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:15 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
What did you do with your first paycheck?

Put it in the bank, paid for gas, paid the rent. I don't have the cleanest past, but seriously you're prioritizing recreation drugs and you haven't even gotten paid yet. You sound too young to develop vices like this given that you mention your mother.

But what do I know. Stop by the east side of Inwood in NYC and make some friends. You may not even have to pay for your drugs. You might also get killed, but that's the nature of the drug trade.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM

835 posts, read 774,372 times
In 1977, I bought 2 albums with my $2.30 per hour first paycheck from TG&Y department store:

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Maynard Ferguson - Chameleon (later was able to get Maynard to autograph it - still have it to this day)

Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
I'm still living with parents and I'm about to get paid. My mother in particular stresses that I need to save it wisely but I'm torn between that and short term gratification.

I've talked to some people and they say that my plan is insane. I was thinking of buying some recreational drugs where I live as I have one acquaintance who is a supplier. My mother was totally against that but says so long as I don't steal to fund my habit or get arrested, I'm fine. Besides, (don't want to bring the ''50 million Frenchmen fallacy but..) the few teens where I live in a middle class area along with some college students further out always talk about doing either weed, ecstasy, cocaine, Xanax bars.

You live with our parents, plan to experiment with drugs, and are wondering if it’s possible to save for the future as a drug addict.

Well done.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
ARE YOU NUTS?

Sure, spend it on drugs. Then you'll want more and stronger drugs; soon you won't have a job; your Mother will get tired of the whole thing and will kick you out. You'll be homeless. But just for a while. Soon you'll be in jail and there is your long-term plan for your future. All at the expense of the taxpayers, no need to save any money after all.

Sheesh!

I saved my paychecks, small as they were, and I paid for my expenses, lunches, gas and all my books in college.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:31 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:

Good luck with the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance