Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:53 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Obviously a single guy...try that married.
My family quit exchanging Christmas gifts 30 years ago. We do buy something for children to open on Christmas morning, but by the time they are 16 the best they can expect is a contribution toward their college expenses, and they are absolutely forbidden to waste their money buying gifts for any adult. Neither my wife or I have any interest in Christmas presents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
I'm married, it works for us.

I hear ya. Ours is September and October, and since it's been like that for years, we save for it so we're never not caught off guard.
Kids? If no ..different story.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:55 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Kids? If no ..different story.
Did you read my response?
I said I'm married and have 3 kids!

Old 04-25-2018, 02:54 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I hate Aprils! there, i said it!

I usually do my taxes in Feb and by late Feb or early march, my tax return is back, and whatever $$ is returned (if any) is invested immediately. and with most of money invested immediately before i even see the money in my bank account, there's little left over in my bank.
Then April comes around, and all of a sudden, i have a couple of thousands in car taxes due, as well as a few thousand for the property/home taxes, and a grand for home insurance, and another grand or so for car insurance....all due within the last week of April, first week of may, and i always seem to scramble to gather $$ because i didn't plan accordingly throughout the year.

How do you all deal with situations like this? do you just put money aside each month in a separate account in preparation for large bills that you know are due at the same time each year?
You already know what you need to do. So do it.

Hey, we're not perfect, but we do look over our finances in November or early December to make sure we aren't going to get banged by the IRS.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:46 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I hate Aprils! there, i said it!

How do you all deal with situations like this? do you just put money aside each month in a separate account in preparation for large bills that you know are due at the same time each year?
Yes. Credit unions allow for several subsavings accounts. I know you can habe up to at least 9. Maybe more. You can also have auto-deduct amounts out of direct deposit paychecks or other direct deposits into these sub accounts.

I have 3 sub savings accounts, as well as a primary savings and checking. Then we each have our own savings accounts that I deposit regularly into. So 7 total accounts at our credit union. Each account is earmarked for the major bills, and our individual accounts, which get matching amounts deposited always is our vacation account (s).

Try it, you'll breathe easier come next April.

Just plan ahead , divide by 12 your expected o utgo, and habe it either automatically directed to, or manually transfer to those sub accounts and you'll have itvwhen you need it.

Good luck planning for next year!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance