Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:12 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not really sure what most people are using this net worth calculation for other than their own entertainment and general info.

Agreed, I know a guy who's owned a blog for many years. He has an okay following, makes some cash from it, and even gets to travel for free because of it. He's "estimated" that the cost to build a similar site, the content man hours, the income it produces, etc. would make him a "net worth millionaire". Don't get me wrong, there's def value to the website, but something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. And I couldn't see someone paying anything more than the cost to build the site plus what it earns a year, maybe $80k-$120k.. Of course I could be wrong.

I have a few things I could prob add to my net worth, 2 paid off vehicles and a motorcycle. Prob $30k worth, I've just never bothered to figure it into my net worth as they're depreciating assets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 09:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Agreed, I know a guy who's owned a blog for many years. He has an okay following, makes some cash from it, and even gets to travel for free because of it. He's "estimated" that the cost to build a similar site, the content man hours, the income it produces, etc. would make him a "net worth millionaire". Don't get me wrong, there's def value to the website, but something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. And I couldn't see someone paying anything more than the cost to build the site plus what it earns a year, maybe $80k-$120k.. Of course I could be wrong.

I have a few things I could prob add to my net worth, 2 paid off vehicles and a motorcycle. Prob $30k worth, I've just never bothered to figure it into my net worth as they're depreciating assets.
i figure the blog is worth what someone would pay for it. no need to calculate the man hours put into it. calculating the value of a business ownership may be complicated but if someone can sell the business for that, then it should be in their net worth calculation.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
In a very white collar, upper class area, you won’t typically see that many $$ tools. They will typically pay someone to do that stuff. Down the food chain a little more, unless it’s hobby related, I don’t see as many owned tools when people can borrow from a friend or simply rent something. YMMV
for many younger people the only tool they own is their phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance