Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 08:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

I am glad that progress is being made in receiving your inheritance.

Did they explain why you still have not received the money from a "Transfer on Death" account for a person who died almost 16 months ago? That seems very odd. Or are they blaming it on that they didn't think that you were "counting on your inheritance".

Please let us know when you receive the check, and if the check is for the correct amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 07:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
It sounds to me like the financial advisor didn't want this money to leave the firm, even if it was put into a new account. And it sounds like perhaps he or she didn't have necessary forms or whatever signed by the OP and wasn't in any sort of hurry to get that done.

Also - it's not necessarily uncommon for there to be a year or even a year and a half after a death for accounts and inheritances to be distributed. Actually, for property involved in probate, it's common to take YEARS for things to get disbursed. This is why it's so important for the executor to know and understand that heirs will demand accountability.

Being the executor is actually a pretty yucky, often complicated job. It took nearly two years for my dad's estate to be settled, and it is taking three plus years for my inlaws' estates to be settled (still not done). However, with the retirement accounts, those took about 6 months - with complete agreement and cooperation and open communication between the executor (my BIL) and the other heir, my husband. And this was with my husband sort of pushing the process along.

It's a complicated process.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Watch your mail carefully! Inspect everything twice before tossing it away.

I received a Lump Sum distribution check for nearly $750,000 that arrived printed on a post card like a motor oil rebate!

"You may already be a winner!"

Old 06-30-2018, 11:17 AM

892 posts, read 484,344 times
Thank you all so much; I have learned more from this experience and will keep you up-to-date on what is supposed to happening for me, period.
the added perspective rounds out the issues involved. great to have this feedback.
about the other poster's experience with the same issue of a check...LOL!!! seriously,
tho--it's like e-mail or any other mail--pause and think whether it makes actual sense
to be getting anything that doesn't 'add up' for my own situation. no "wishful thinking!"

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM

Any updates? Did you finally receive your inheritance? Was it for the correct amount of money?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 PM

hi Germaine,
just got an e-mail today with PDF page to sign for this to be sent to me immediately!

Old 07-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezku View Post
hi Germaine,
just got an e-mail today with PDF page to sign for this to be sent to me immediately!
Great! Let us know when the check arrives and if it is for the correct amount of money.

I am so sorry that it took so long for you to receive your Transfer on Death inheritance money.

Did your sister ever explain to you why she did not give them the death certificate for over a year after the death?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 PM

Now I have a message about calling the broker-deal back to verify the accuracy of the details for the distribution of the lump sum check.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:37 PM

typo: 'broker-dealer'

Old 07-11-2018, 08:54 PM

i let the other financial advisor know of this call; he couldn't make sense of it but is going to find out what it is about for me. he was my first point of contact from the beginning and has been really respectful of what i've been through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance