Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 02:57 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

This thread has gotten stupid. Probably time to close it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 02:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
It started stupid and had nowhere else to go.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:05 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You or anyone else saying they don't, certainly doesn't mean they don't either.

You know what I said.
It's what I assumed. It's nonsensical though, so I didn't want to make that assumption. It's not about what anyone says. It's about what the empirical data shows. There's no shortage of empirical data showing that structures generally do depreciate on an inflation-adjusted basis. There is a shortage of empirical data showing that structures generally do appreciation on an inflation-adjusted basis. Your contrarian statement and circular logic are a weak argument to empirical data.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's what I assumed. It's nonsensical though, so I didn't want to make that assumption. It's not about what anyone says. It's about what the empirical data shows. There's no shortage of empirical data showing that structures generally do depreciate on an inflation-adjusted basis. There is a shortage of empirical data showing that structures generally do appreciation on an inflation-adjusted basis. Your contrarian statement and circular logic are a weak argument to empirical data.
You saying something is there does not make it so. Just like earlier when someone mentioned the majority of economists agree on the percentage that should be used for transportation but the very first link I clicked said something entirely different.

I've found that on the internet saying "Empirical" generally means you are trying to sound authoritative but actually have no clue.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:28 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
I have no desire to tell anything to your boogeymen.
You have no desire to post factual information either. Oh well.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You have no desire to post factual information either. Oh well.
I've mostly stated opinion. I'm not the one posting opinions as fact. If you disagree with my opinion, post a valid rebuttal.

If everyone followed Dave's advice, the economy would collapse. Can I prove this with outside factual information? Of course not but I can provide common sense.

If people waiting until they had a million in assets to buy a new car, the automotive market would collapse and there would be very few used cars for others to purchase as new cars are not being bought.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:42 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Obvious not if you're only semi-retired.
The money is too easy to be fully retired. I’ll be sure to shed a tear for you on the beach.

You can stick to the Dave Ramsey books.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
I'm pushing 67yo & never bought a new car in my life. Just knowing that it would lose about 50% of its value as soon as I drove it off the dealer's lot creeps me out. It's not going to bring me anywhere that my used cars did for only a fraction of that cost.

Put the money you saved into mutual funds to retire earlier or a nice vacation you otherwise wouldn't have taken.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm pushing 67yo & never bought a new car in my life. Just knowing that it would lose about 50% of its value as soon as I drove it off the dealer's lot creeps me out. It's not going to bring me anywhere that my used cars did for only a fraction of that cost.

Put the money you saved into mutual funds to retire earlier or a nice vacation you otherwise wouldn't have taken.
What if you prefer a new car as opposed to a vacation? Why is it your place to determine that for others?

Your 50% hyperbole has already been addressed.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:46 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Good for you. The idea that "this is what I did, so everyone should" is lame.

My idea was not that they should, but that they could. There's nothing lame about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance