Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 01:23 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

I pay each card a couple times a month if not more. My wife gets a bit bothered if the balances gets too high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 01:32 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree about the obsession over credit scores taking tiny hits from cc purchases. No reason to clear cc charges that frequently. I've always paid off my cc balances each month, but it's important to not charge more than you CAN pay off in any one cycle. If I am paying off a cc from an interest-bearing bank account I prefer leaving as much money in it to work for me for as long as possible (yea, I know...it's tiny, but better than a kick in the head); so pay the cc right before the monthly due date, not before.
For me its a mental thing. I love seeing the zero balance

Old 05-13-2018, 02:27 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Pay it on the due date, or day before.

There is no reason for me to pay them early, While it really does not matter that much , I take the float as long as can for "Free" loan.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
As a reformed financially wiser, I have zero cards. Once they changed the new fee for making more then two payments a month I was done with 'riding the credit wave'. Life is more manageable without a monthly card payment. I buy gift visa if I absolutely HAVE to secure a reservation with such. Op- pay it once a month. Beyond that ...pay cash if it's that readily utilized. Money has not 'worked' for me. I had to work at managing it without being pummeled with fees.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:50 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
As a reformed financially wiser, I have zero cards. Once they changed the new fee for making more then two payments a month I was done with 'riding the credit wave'. Life is more manageable without a monthly card payment. I buy gift visa if I absolutely HAVE to secure a reservation with such. Op- pay it once a month. Beyond that ...pay cash if it's that readily utilized. Money has not 'worked' for me. I had to work at managing it without being pummeled with fees.
What fee are you talking about for making more than two payment a month?

Old 05-13-2018, 02:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Even so, this only matters if there's going to be a credit inquiry where the score needs to be as high as possible during the month following.

I have one card with a 0% APR and $0 xfer fee special, so I bought my wife's car recently with my cash back 2.5% card, earned the cash back there and then xferred the balance to the other card so I can free up my cash for 12 months. However, that maxed out the card I transferred the balance to, which brought my score down 35-40 points.

Since I have no need for a mortgage in the next year, having my score dip as I pay the minimum payments on that card is meaningless. Going from 805 to 760 is hardly an issue - even going from 740 to 705 isn't a big deal. The only time it might be concerning is if your credit was marginal to start with - dropping below 620 isn't smart, because you have a higher likelihood of needing credit in a pinch than those with 740+ scores.

Some people get so obsessed over their score without fully understanding the impact (or lack thereof) of that score decrease. As soon as I pay off that card at the end of the 12 month period, my score will rebound back to the 800s. I also have 15+ open credit card lines (I used to have 22+ but closed some due to annual fees), so my overall utilization rate is still below 10% despite the high balance on one card.
I always wondered what the benefit was of having wo many credit card lines was and how difficult it is to manage. In the last few years I’ve made about 70K a year (some years more, some years less) and it seems like 22 cards would be way too much to juggle. Right now I only have three which is much more doable for me. I plan to have 5 before I take out a home mortgage, but have read it’s best to wait 90 days between applying for cards. I could see how having 22 cards might make more sense if you have significantly higher income though.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:02 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
What bank? It seems like chase and cap one let charges pend for 3 or 4 days. Its annoying and payment can't be made until it clears. In 2018 it should clear in a day
I use Bank of America and Chase. You’re right that both usually tend to take 3 or 4 days before they go through. The pending message usually shows up almost immediately, but it takes some days to process typically. It’s closer to immediate than waiting a month though haha.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:14 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I use Bank of America and Chase. You’re right that both usually tend to take 3 or 4 days before they go through. The pending message usually shows up almost immediately, but it takes some days to process typically. It’s closer to immediate than waiting a month though haha.
True. But should just take 24 hours!

Old 05-13-2018, 06:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I always wondered what the benefit was of having wo many credit card lines was and how difficult it is to manage. In the last few years I’ve made about 70K a year (some years more, some years less) and it seems like 22 cards would be way too much to juggle. Right now I only have three which is much more doable for me. I plan to have 5 before I take out a home mortgage, but have read it’s best to wait 90 days between applying for cards. I could see how having 22 cards might make more sense if you have significantly higher income though.
Are you taking out a mortgage soon?

Old 05-13-2018, 06:40 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree about the obsession over credit scores taking tiny hits from cc purchases. No reason to clear cc charges that frequently. I've always paid off my cc balances each month, but it's important to not charge more than you CAN pay off in any one cycle. If I am paying off a cc from an interest-bearing bank account I prefer leaving as much money in it to work for me for as long as possible (yea, I know...it's tiny, but better than a kick in the head); so pay the cc right before the monthly due date, not before.
Well stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance